stock Tach wire? where is it?

I'm looking for the stock Tach wire on my 84. I don't plan on running an aftermarket tach, so I'd like to wire it from the dash to my Standalone. any idea what color, location it is?

It runs from the igniter down the apron wiring to the left junction box and finally to the instrument cluster, black wire IIRC. HTH

the tach wire goes through the junction block near the drivers feet. It goes through Pin 6 on connector 2A. And yes it is black.
    1984 Super Red Hardtop
    -7MGTE, R154, ST Springs, Tokico Illumina front, KYB gas-a-just rear, LJM Strut Tower Bar, custom rear bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts, 60-1 CT26, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255, Lexus AFM, 26x7x2.5 IC, 2.5" hardpipes, SAFC, Raptor Racing 3" exhaust
    13.2@109 mph

Straight off the gauge cluster,blue plug "Plug C in the book" pin 8.
    84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

thanks guys. that'll do it.

can't remember but near the ignitor.. isinth there a place also.. (remembers my 86 pickup had a place for the tach there)

it was a single wire (can't recall color)
    Wayne "Turbo" T. Member - Mid-Atlantic SOGI

84 P type (needs 2j real bad)
    87 MKIII turbo/targa/5speed. HKS downpipe, RSR catback, Eibach springs, Tokico Illumina's
    86 GMC Suburban
    Sold 82,88. RIP 82,83,86,86,87.
    Wifes rides 89 Supra n/a stock

Yeah This caused me a lot of grief with my 84 7m-gte swap. My 82 had the tach wire running through the engine harness. Like the 7m-ge. So i just had to hook it up by the ecu. The 84 is completely different, and i was really frustrated. The wire is black with brown dots on it.
    White 84 p type 7m-gte
    Blue 82 l type 7m-ge

well i'm gonna go directly to the gauge cluster harness being that my 5M harness and ECU are history. My microtech's tach output signal is like for aftermarket tachs like the Autometers and such. will that work with the stock 84 needle tach? or will I need a signal modifier?

Thread Information