Calling all 5MGE engine experts... - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Russell,

That makes perfect sense.

Okay, what is the recipe for the ATF and mineral spirits?

On the aluminum head it probably doesn't matter, but in the block I can sure see the advantage of not using water.

I won't be doing it today, but I'll try to get some numbers within the next week to compare to what you have.

Dale

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I don't actually know yet, I just mentioned how crappy water is becuase of the surface tension and its amazing ability to form air pockets and he just mentioned the ATF and mineral spirits thing, I was in a hurry so I didn't get the ratio. I will get the ratio from him probably on Friday.
    1985 Toyota Supra

CelicaSupra.com Member
    This kind of stuff should definitely go in the FAQ when measurements are completed. Great job.
    84 mt 6mge with intake, exhaust, suspension, brake, and wheel mods
    85 mt 6mge stock

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rwhite
    If anyone is interested, I repeated the combustion chamber volume and piston dish/dome volume measurements.

Combustion Chamber Volume = 52 cc

Piston Dish/Dome Volume = -3cc

These numbers are for a stock 5mge.

What spark plugs did you use when measuring the combustion chamber volume? The stock heat range ND/NGK's, or something different??

Keep the discussion going boys...information coming out in this posts is just awesome. I'm gonna sticky this posts for now...good stuff.

I talked with the guy at work about the mixture of ATF and mineral spirits for cc'ing the combustion chamber. He said something around 70% ATF and 30% mineral spirits will work just fine. He said it doesn't need to be exact, so just more ATF than mineral spirits should work just fine.

The spark plugs were Bosch Platinums WR8DPX.
    1985 Toyota Supra

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    hmm, i wonder if there is an effedtive way to cc the domes on my forged slugs without them in the block. any ideas? thy are 85mm pistons so id have to get a block bores before i could use the mentioned method. im sure there is a way without using the block. any ideas?
    william
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

I haven't tried it, but if you have a piston ring compressor you might be able to get a decent measurement. I have one from sears and it fits pretty tight around the piston. Just put some grease around the rings to try and seal it and then measure how far the flat part of the piston is into the ring compressor and give it a shot. It may be hard to seal the top though..... The other way I had thought about measuring only the dish part was to fill the valve relief’s with clay, let it set up and then take the pieces of clay out and put them into the graduated cylinder and see how much the water level goes up. Just an idea.
    1985 Toyota Supra

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    good idea, and ill then spray it down with pam while the clay is in the releifs, and use clay around the dome and let it harden then measure the volume, then subtract the releifs from the volume of the dome(its a pretty big dome) thnx.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member DADSPRA85's Avatar
    you can also check your measurements by weighing the clay X its density to give a volumetric value to get the density # just force some clay into a know volume cup like ones used for baking and then weight the amount and dived one by the other you could also do this with candle wax by melting first of course

brendan
    I own an '85 MK11 and so does my daughter.
    My daughter is better looking than me.
    We just love our cars and each other.

Thread Information