Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Andrew's 7M-GTE/R154 Swap Thread

7K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Andrew 
#1 ·
Cat's out of the bag with that R154 thread that i've created. I purchased a 7M-GTE and R154 from dmlsupra in Montreal. The engines been disassembled(almost) and it's ready for cleaning, I tore of the head yesterday with the help of a local MKIII guy. I wasn't surprised at what I found inside. Here are some pictures of the engine and Transmission as I have recieved them.

This is after struggling to get the trans off for about 3 hours:

Some after disasembly shots:

Mess of Ziploc bags full of parts & hardware

Harness. Do I have it all? Hope I am not missing anything!

The Headgasket, blown of course.

More pictures of the gasket are here

Heres the keyway on the crank.

More detailed shots here:
http://awilmut.freeshell.org/7M/Thumbnails.html

I've got alot of questions so I thought I would put them all in this thread.

The first one is about the keyway, Mine is just fudged, what do I do about that, will a good machine shop be able to create a new keyway in the crank or will I have to search for a new one? I've done a search, and all I get out of it is the people with the same problem need to replace the woodrof key, this is obviously not the case.

See less See more
#3 ·
This engine look very familiar......I wonder why????

Keep up the good work Andrew, and I want to see it when it's all done.

I'll start my swap in a week or two.......I fixed my alternator problem to find out the engine has a major oil leak. ( I had oil on the intake....and not just a few drop.... )

#5 ·
This thread is not dead.

Received my Brian Crower cams, springs and retainers today. The intake cam on one end was covered in redline assembly lube and plastic pieces from the container the lube came in, not impressed, however no damage ensued.

Pics:
Optimus hangin out with some springs

Head waiting for the goodies

#11 ·
New parts arriving slow as a snail..

BC Valves:

Valves are .5mm over stock exh. on the left intake on the right.

Head off to the machine shop to be inspected next week

Sill saving up for BC Rods and BC Pistons.

#13 ·
To be Honest I have no idea. To start off I was planning on having the chimp put 57 trim in my used CT-26. But I'd like to end up having some kind of BB T04. Judging by my last statement you can see that I have a lot of reading to do...

#15 ·
I'm in the proscess of doing the same to my 85. Although I'm planing on just a stock JDM 7mgte or a chimpy. My question I have for you though. What conversions do you have to do to go with the r154 tranny? Mine W58 has some minor problems, but I don't want that to go out on my when I get all excited about my new motor. Plus I just want a stronger drivetrain.

#17 ·
Recently took the head to my local machine shop to have it inspected. Found out today that there are no cracks in the head and it looks to be in okay shape. The machinist said he would however need to take 20 thousandths off of it possibly 30 which is worrying me. What size head gasket is this going to require?

#18 ·
Probably a 2mm depending how much you take of the block as well.

Too bad you're not sooner to running, I'd be curious how the 264s idle. I finally got my 272s running. They are a little lopey, but at least it will idle stablish at 800ish RPM. I've still got a lot of retune work to do with my short experience so far. I'm amazed how much richer it runs at idle with just the cam swap.

#21 ·
**UPDATE!**

Been spending quite a few hours with a die grinder, standard abrasives SBC kit and some emery cloth. Sent the head out to the machine shop finally for some work to be done. Had them resurface the head, new valve stem seals, make a little room for the BC 1mm OS valves and adjust the shims. Here's the result $844.52 later:

BC Cams:

#23 ·
Thread Revivial!

Alright, its been 8+ years since I started my journey, and i'm in a place in my life where I can continue with this project. I finally sent the block in for machining later last year. No issues at all with the block or crank. After I got it back, I went to work with a wire wheel, some hi temp primer and hi temp paint:

Fast forward to the spring. Over the past couple of weeks, we've been getting everything assembled:

Things I learned:

- Wrist pin retainers are horrible little beasts, if you have no idea what you're doing.
- You don't need the internet to tell you which is the first and the second ring. They both only go in one place.
- Make sure you have all 3 sizes of 12-point sockets available. 12-point sockets are scarce in my area.

#24 ·
That 7M's going to be nice!
Several years ago my 7M developed rod bearing failure and I had a 2JZ ready to replace it. The 7m was simply sitting on an engine stand until last winter when I figured I'd rebuild it. I know exactly what you mean about the "little beasts" - I had a really tough time with the wrist pin lockers. I looked at several Youtube videos and figured I'd need to buy a special tool for inserting them. Then I got them in by forcing the bottom of the lock into its slot and while pressing as hard as I could with the thumb of one hand and using a screw driver with the other hand I managed to lever them into place.
I was told that Canadian Tire does not carry any 12 point sockets but I managed to find some at local Sears and Napa stores.

#25 ·
Thanks Juka. I had watched a few videos as well, but eventually, I just used a set of needle nose to set them in the hole, then a flat-head screwdriver to snap them into place. I went to Canadian Tire and was shocked they didn't have any 12 point sockets. Napa had a bunch though..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.