Suprafiends Suspension (and Brake) Setup, incl never done before susp mods! - Page 3

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    That's a great write up.

I wonder though if you didn't end up spending more then the ground controls by spending hours of your personal time researching and custom fitting?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mk2supradrifter
    so how much more steering are we lookin at? could you maybe get a picture with a stock steering arm compared to what u did. just to see.
    http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/49686334
    1984 Super Red Hardtop
    -7MGTE, R154, ST Springs, Tokico Illumina front, KYB gas-a-just rear, LJM Strut Tower Bar, custom rear bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts, 60-1 CT26, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255, Lexus AFM, 26x7x2.5 IC, 2.5" hardpipes, SAFC, Raptor Racing 3" exhaust
    13.2@109 mph
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 935motorsports
    That's a great write up.

I wonder though if you didn't end up spending more then the ground controls by spending hours of your personal time researching and custom fitting?
    if even half the members on here added up their time as labour spent fixing, researching, installing, uninstalling, fixing again, and restoring these cars we'd have spent more than the Canadian GDP.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2007 Lexus LX470

Quote Originally Posted by cartman
    thank you for this but i mean when both the steering arms are installed on the car.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 935motorsports
    That's a great write up.

I spent about 2 days fiddling with the coil over install. So if I were charging myself labour, sure your right. But now that I've done the r&d its a fairly simple thing for others to do. Plus I ended up with a system that goes together and comes apart exactly how I wanted, and many of the things I did I'd want done with the real GCs too (the dust boot/isolater, etc). Sorry Bob, I know you sell both GC and QA1, but I feel its only fair to the community to share what I've learned. Perhaps you could pick up the Tom coil overs, the place in montreal is selling them for more then they need to and definitely over charging on shipping. Might be a good business opertunity too, someone could offer a kit with the needed spacer premade and the top hats drilled out. Split each Tom kit into two sets and a drop in kit could sell for half what the GC ones do with some decent profit margin to boot. Just an idea, feel free to use it.

mk2SupraDrifter, did you see this picture?

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/49686339

I can't exactly install both at the same time so I'm not really sure what your asking for. As for hard numbers on the steering ratio, there is a method to calculate your real steering ratio so I will have to figure it out sometime and post the results. It is a big difference however. If I had to guess I would say its at least a 16:1 now.

2 things I didn't mention but meant to. Once you finalize the wheels your running, it would be a really good idea for everyone to take some time playing with the max steering angle adjusters on the steering arms. Looking at my wheels right now under full lock theres plenty of room to turn more. The turning radius on these cars also sucks so this will make a big difference. I havn't finalized my offsets yet or got my new wheels on so I havn't done this yet.

The other thing is I meant to drill holes in the top hats and zip tie them to the tops of the springs so theres no chance of the spring coming loose from the top hat if you were to ever get a bit of air. Will have to do that when I get my new springs in.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Oh and Wes, I think my car would pass the gf test in ride quality as well. My wife thinks its super comfy, but of course she rides in a corolla GTS with well over 2 inchs of drop so most cars feel soft compared to hers lol. Theres no significant harshness though, hopefully the new springs won't make it worse.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Very educational AND entertaining write -up!

Wow, great job and terrific ideas! Are the winters long and cold in your area so you can putter in the garage on cool ideas like this ? Sounds like you do very thorough studies. I'll have to check out the SCCA legal aspect of the parts changes. Not sure Celica parts interchange with our Supras legally, at least with SCCA rules. Need to check my rules book.
    Thanks again for the efforts !

Don L.
    '84 Supra
    autoxer in hibernation

I just looked into that today and this mod is not legal for anything short of Mod unforunatly under SCCA rules. The update/backdate rule only applies if the other model of the car is in the same class (which the celica is not) and if it requires no modification to install it (which it does). So if you compete seriously in SCCA autox I guess you can't do this mod if your not in Mod. I just go to practise events so I don't care. It looks just like the stock part anyways so I'm not too worried about it.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I was not suggesting the Ground Controls because I sell them. I just was actually curious if you felt you saved money after the running around. It sounds like you have.

I'm really not worried about selling coilovers, the first priority is to provide information for the community and I appreciate the write up.

After Vegas I might investigate some less expensive options to make available, as a complete kit.

Thread Information