Starting and running issues

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Starting and running issues

Please note: some common sense is required in purchasing and taking care of a 20 year old car.

obvious things to change 1st to insure proper running order:
    spark plugs ($8-15)
    plug wires ($17-70)
    distributor cap ($8-15)
    rotor ($3-5)
    fuel filter ($14-20)
    air filter ($6-60)

1. if you're just buying a car that has sat for some time, please be prepared for something to go wrong. most other cars' engines will lock up after sitting for awhile, be greatful that Toyota engines seem to have a resistance to that (for the most part).

2. car won't start. symptom: no noise, or clicking or grinding.
    a)check battery connections... if the terminals are corroded, clean them or replace them. make sure the wires aren't chewed to hell and that the body ground is there and secure. also make sure you have a good battery.
    refer to this thread here:
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21051
    b)check fuses. all of them.
    c)check starter... are all the wires there? are they on good and tight?
    You can always directly supply 12volts and see if the starter turns over, but if you're clueless about how to do this, you might not want to try it at the risk of shocking yourself. Take the car to someone who can check it, or remove the starter and take it to AutoZone/AdvanceAuto whatever. (obviously disconnect the battery first)

3. car won't start but turns over fine.
    a)engine needs spark to run, you must determine if it's getting any before continuing. take coil wire and hold it to a metal point on the car (with a well insulated tool or you WILL get the shock of your life).
    >check plug wires
    >make sure AFM is plugged in
    >try pulling engine codes
    refer to this thread here:
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20822
    >ignition coils are relatively easy to replace, not sure how to test one
    >pray it's not your ignitor, those babies are $400+
    >try jumpering out the yellow connector by the AFM. With the ignition key on, put your head towards the drivers side firewall, over the intake. After a few seconds you should hear fuel running through the lines. If you hear this, it rules out the fuel pump.
    >fuel filter is one of the most common problems to cause a no start, engine sputtering or faltering condition. please change routinely.
    >fuel pumps don't offen fail, HOWEVER, most of these cars are on their original pump, so it is common for them to crap out now. YOU MUST REMEMBER to prime the fuel pump before trying to start the car, or you'll get air in the lines and possibly damage the new pump. (priming = turning the key off and on for a few minutes, letting the pump run and turn off before starting)

engine then should run, unless you're way out of time. please do a little searching on the subject, and/or refer here:
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar...in/IN_001.html

4. car won't start and turns over fast
    a) pull upper timing cover, the timing belt either broke or got loose. do not panic, these are non-interference engines (they won't smash valves and pistons)

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of things, but it's only 9am and I'm half awake, lol.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-01-2006 at 03:25 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    9 years strong 4-20-08

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member jefe_not's Avatar
    Tanya, thanks for the heads up on priming the fuel pump. Never even thought about it. I hope this post is going to become a "sticky" or shoved into the FAQ?
    Jeff Sawyer
    I used to have a few Supras. I do miss them...

I know where you're coming from on this. We've had some increasingly frustrating long-distance troubleshooting lately. I think you might should get even more basic. I swear there are people around here that don't know what 'engine turns over' means.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED
    I know where you're coming from on this. We've had some increasingly frustrating long-distance troubleshooting lately. I think you might should get even more basic. I swear there are people around here that don't know what 'engine turns over' means.

LOL should I put: engine won't start but makes a "whirr, whirr, whirr, whirr, whirr" noise

CelicaSupra.com Member jefe_not's Avatar
    Actually, why don't you link the actual sounds. Get people to contribute them as they have problems. Then we'll know for sure whether the whir whir sounds like a mixmaster in the kitchen on chop and grind or a cement mixer with a load of gravel. Having gone through the pain of two timing belts improperly installed (they didn't replace the tensioner) I know what you're describing...
    Jeff Sawyer
    I used to have a few Supras. I do miss them...

CelicaSupra.com Member CELICA GTS's Avatar
    Dammit Tanya..why do you always post things that are awesome?...I think though with all your previous experience with your other rides you definately are a engine SME(subject matter expert).If I had an engine problem..id hope that you had a shop 'cause it would be headed your way!
    Mike "P"
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner longbed

i agree with beaker :P

Just quit running

Thanks for the great post. Looks like I have a good list to follow for trouble shooting. I was shifting from 1st to 2nd...Car just lost power. Turns over fine. Looks like maybe no spark at plugs? Haven't really taken a good look yet.
    I had just had the passive alarm system and remote start disabled. Thought at first that may have had somethingn to do with it. Someone put remote start on a stick shift. Not a good idea.
    Thanks again for really great information.

Bill
    Sherwood OR

CelicaSupra.com Member supra_toy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bills
    .... Someone put remote start on a stick shift. Not a good idea.
    Bill
    Sherwood OR
    As long as you always put it in neutral and apply the parking break its OK...

<--- who has a remote start on manual car

will
    "Betty" 85 Supra. LJM front strut bar, custom rear bar, Addcos sway f/r, Tokico f/r, Eibachs springs, and full PST bushing kit, Cusco camber plates, RC intake w/custom cold air & K&N filter, JK short shifter, MKIII 10 blade radiator fan, SS break lines, RC SS clutch line, Russel quick bleeders, custom stereo.
    "Karmen" 85 Supra. RC TB and intake. Bored out AFM, Magnaflow cat. soon new stock brake lines and muffler.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by supra_toy
    As long as you always put it in neutral and apply the parking break its OK...

<--- who has a remote start on manual car

will
    Agreed...as a long time manual shift owner, I park them in gear. This one hit the garage wall. Didn't know about the remote start. No damage.

Bill

Thread Information