Starting and running issues - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks again for the valuable info Tanya... Will be checking that out tomorrow mos definetly.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

hello Tanya,

I've been trying to figure out what can be wrong with my car. The cars starts and runs but only for a moment. I've changed the fuel pump, filter, temp sensor, changed air flow meter, and throttle postion sensor. It is still giving me the problem of not wanting to keep running. I followed the test in the manual and still nothing. The thing is giving me 23 32 codes indicating the air temp and air flow meter. Is there anything that Im missing, is there a relay that can be the problem? HELP Please

Quote Originally Posted by n/afavor View Post
    hello Tanya,

I've been trying to figure out what can be wrong with my car. The cars starts and runs but only for a moment. I've changed the fuel pump, filter, temp sensor, changed air flow meter, and throttle postion sensor. It is still giving me the problem of not wanting to keep running. I followed the test in the manual and still nothing. The thing is giving me 23 32 codes indicating the air temp and air flow meter. Is there anything that Im missing, is there a relay that can be the problem? HELP Please

I'm not very familiar with either air temp or afm issues, but you can try the online TSRM if you haven't already...
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...2/default.aspx

could possibly be a bad EFI relay too, does it click when the key is turned to ON?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Well I went back to fool with the car some more. I so happened to spray cab cleaner in and the car started, then stopped. I had my brother spray some more and kept sprying, it ran like it did before all of this. Its getting fuel, the fuel pump is new and working, new filter. It could be a relay, could it be the circut opening relay or the EFI main relays.They're in the engine compartment fuse box right?

Well I went back to fool with the car some more. I so happened to spray cab cleaner in and the car started, then stopped. I had my brother spray some more and kept sprying, it ran like it did before all of this. Its getting fuel, the fuel pump is new and working, new filter. It could be a relay, could it be the circut opening relay or the EFI main relays.They're in the engine compartment fuse box right?
    Yes the relays are in the black box under the hood.

It can't be getting fuel if it's starting with carb cleaner. Somehow it's not getting to the injectors. Check to hear those relays click. Also, there's a yellow check connector by the AFM, use a paperclip or something to jumper it out, turn the key to ON and put your head near the intake manifold in the back, you should hear fuel going through the return line. If no noise, I would listen under the gas tank for humming, sound of the pump actually running.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    almost 9 years strong 4-20-08

I jumped the pump already, it's working. Im looking at the relays, circut open relay and the two efi relays. Is there a way to jump a relay once it is unplugged?

I jumped the pump already, it's working. Im looking at the relays, circut open relay and the two efi relays. Is there a way to jump a relay once it is unplugged?
    yep, when I was having EFI relay issues of my own a few years back we did this

and it worked like a charm.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    It can't be getting fuel if it's starting with carb cleaner.
    UNLESS, the problem causing it to die instantly is too much air due to an unmetered intake air leak (after the afm), in which case the extra air now has extra fuel and the engine can continue to run as long as this extra fuel/carb cleaner is applied to use the extra air, otherwise it dies from too much air relative to the amount of fuel supplied.
    Jan. 1982 Blue 'P' type - 6MGE intake/exhaust/17"SquareWheels, etc.
    1982 Terra Cotta 'P' type - 1UZFTE slowly progressing (high comp/low boost corner carver)
    1983 Black P - Rust Weight Reduction Mod :P +400k and in donor status
    1984 Red L - Daily Driver, well, not daily, but when I leave the Supra farm...
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member ABUSEDDOG's Avatar
    That is a great list, Tanya.

One of my pet peeves, people who prime there fuel pump without knowing (cycling the key) when the car still is still in running condition, then wonder why the car is flooded and smells like gas.

Quote Originally Posted by lechner View Post
    UNLESS, the problem causing it to die instantly is too much air due to an unmetered intake air leak (after the afm), in which case the extra air now has extra fuel and the engine can continue to run as long as this extra fuel/carb cleaner is applied to use the extra air, otherwise it dies from too much air relative to the amount of fuel supplied.

ah, that would have to be a pretty large vaccuum leak I would think to cause that... should be able to hear the hissing when it's running off the carb cleaner I would imagine

Thread Information