Starting and running issues - Page 3

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    the car starts but it just dosen't keep running, it's like the cold start injector is spitting but the other six aren't. The codes are comming up with 23 air temp, 32 flow meter, they're one unit. I'll change the relays and see what happends...

p.s.Thanks for the pictures, huge help....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

What year is your car and what year AFM did you put in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    What year is your car and what year AFM did you put in it?

Good point, Tanya! The 82 AFM is not only mechanically different than the rest, but it's also different electronically and therefore not compatible with later model engine harness wiring.

If you are indeed using a 82 AFM in your 82 MKII, try disconnecting the electrical connector on the AFM and look closely at the connector on the wire harness to see if any of the electrical contacts in the connector have been pushed back into the rubber boot and not making connection with the connector socket on the AFM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I made sure to use 85, 86 AFM. I wasn't sure what other years would work....

I jumped the EFI relay and still nothing. The codes are 23,32 air temp and air flow meter. The air temp is inside of the AFM unit.
    If there was a clog in the fuel line these codes wouldn't come up, right? The weird thing is when this started I didn't mess with the engine at all, just the interior. I took everything out to recondition.

The interior? Tooling around near the ECU? Perhaps disconnected a wire to the AFM?

No, didn't even touch the ecu.

You know the water temp sensor was bad and tested bad, no ohms reading, code 22,once fixed code went away. The fuse popped for the ING, code 14, fixed it and code went away. I tested the AFM, ohms reading are within specs, still getting codes 23,32, could the AFM still be bad?

Could be quite possible.

Have you reset the ECU at all?

Try pulling the battery for about 10 minutes, then recheck codes

Well I found what the problem was. When I was putting on some bubble fender flares on the car I hit the E2 wire going from the ECU to the AFM. The wiring harness was tucked up in the ffront fender and when I drilled a hole for the rivets, I hit it. The Damb drill bit was the exact size of the wire, sliced it clean.
    "If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all."

Thanks for all the help, thank you.

I seem to have the same problem.. the car is starting but dying after 2 seconds.
    It is getting fuel and were pretty sure its the afm .. followed the link to "http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...2/default.aspx" and found the wiring diagrams we can use to find otu if I have a faulty afm. ne question though, I have an 83 MA61, is there a huge difference in wiring etween teh 83 & the 86 the manual talks about?

Thread Information