Megasquirt thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    so nwho exactly has an megasquirt installed and running on there supra?
    Well, it's not a Supra, but I have a running MS on my RTE. The engine feels much stronger than with the stock EFI, and since I will be able to control bigger injectors, should have some much better dyno numbers come spring.

I plan to run my 7M swap project on the stock ecu at first, but MS and EDIS will go in as soon as possible.
    Hidden Content
    '83 Celica GTS, 22RTE swap, Garrett GT28R
    194 whp, 247 wtq @ 10 psi
    Supra rear suspension swap, 3.73 LSD
    Megasquirt EFI
    14.7@93mph

'85 Celica GTS, JDM 7MGTE swap project
    4.10 LSD, KVR pads, poly bushings
    Spec stage3, RC downpipe, 3" exh.

When I'm not sure, I ask Supra_devil

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Hemiyoda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yumidraco View Post
    so nwho exactly has an megasquirt installed and running on there supra?
    I have two M sixes running with MS. A 5M-E and a 5M-GE. My friend Nikwal also runs MS fuel only on his 5M-GE.

Crank trigger (hall sensor + magnets) on the 5M-E. On the -GE I tried first to interface with the 3.0 built in VR circuitry against the -82 distributor but it didn't work out well at low rpms. No patience to experiment with the VR stuff so I switched to the proven crank trigger setup and all is golden.

Stock ECU innards replaced by MS on the 5M-E, stock harness used for everything except the crank trigger. On the 5M-GE I replaced the stock harness connector for an MS DB37 connector. (Pros: Faster install Cons: More difficult to revert to stock)

Both setups use an external bosch single coil module (-124) for spark + the distributor for spark distribution.
    //Erik
    MS65 4M, MA61 5M-E, TA22, RA28, LS400
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member cheappower82's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemiyoda View Post

Crank trigger (hall sensor + magnets) on the 5M-E.
    Nice! I'd like to see the magnets, and know how they were fastened.

Edit**
    Nevermind, found it. I'm curious of the details on this procedure. How many magnets total (I guess 3 for two crank revolutions = 6 ignition events)? What size magnets; degrees from TDC; etc.?

85 P-type No-JZ
    87 Volvo 245 wagon lm7+t
    04 CTS-V
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    id i did the hall sensor with magnets, id recomend doing them om the flywheel. and moutn the sensor in the metal plate that bolts to the block before the flywheel. seen it done on a 7m and man is it clean. also its a larger diameter so far more accurate. props for doin it on the crank pulley though, i know that wasnt easy.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Is anyone running MS using the stock CPS?? I am going to attempt this on my 3s-gte in a couple months and was curious if anyone else has gone in this direction. I have a scope so I am going to put in the hours and try my damndest to get it to work. My biggest reason is that I want to go to 2zz coils shortly after getting the MS up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by williamb82 View Post
    id i did the hall sensor with magnets, id recomend doing them om the flywheel. and moutn the sensor in the metal plate that bolts to the block before the flywheel. seen it done on a 7m and man is it clean. also its a larger diameter so far more accurate. props for doin it on the crank pulley though, i know that wasnt easy.
    That's a bad idea IMHO. Flywheels get hot and magnets are notorious for demagnatizing at relatively low temp. The correct way off the flywheel is to use a sensor that picks up the teeth of the flywheel. A lot of production diesel engines use this method.

I'm kind of curious in that pic above why it looks like the magnets don't appear to be at TDC?
    1985 Super Silver Supra 2JZGTE
    2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ FA20
    2001 Black Sand Pearl Corolla 1ZZFE
    "You can never go fast enough....."

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    well ij on supramania did his that way. hasnt had any issues with it, though he has a twin plate clutch and also used larger magents then that.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member cheappower82's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    Is anyone running MS using the stock CPS?? I am going to attempt this on my 3s-gte in a couple months and was curious if anyone else has gone in this direction. I have a scope so I am going to put in the hours and try my damndest to get it to work. My biggest reason is that I want to go to 2zz coils shortly after getting the MS up and running.
    I plan to on the 2jz; I'm going to try the 7m-gte cps with the dual wheel option of Extra
    85 P-type No-JZ
    87 Volvo 245 wagon lm7+t
    04 CTS-V
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I am kicking around a few different methods using the toyota CPS 12+1. I am going to run the dizzy on the 3s at first and am going to try the 4 teeth one wheel only method. Eventually I am going to go with 2zz COP and am going to try to add the cam reset signal using one of the VR sensors. From what I read COP has to have dual wheel. 2 teeth per crank revolution for a 4 banger with a 720 degree reset. So if i leave the 4 teeth on the main wheel and add one VR for the cam reset it should work. Let me know if I am totally off my rocker in my thinking.

CelicaSupra.com Member Hemiyoda's Avatar
    Yep 3 magnets. 40-50 degress BTDC, 120degrees apart. Could also be put at TDC and MS configured for "next cylinder mode" (120degrees? ).

3x3x1mm neodymium magnets. Neodymium magnets are apparently a bit sensitive to heat, max ~120degrees celsius. But I don't expect that kind of temperatures at the pulley and it has worked fine several years now.

Yes it is a bit fiddly to align the magnets accurately. I have also marked out new TDC's for cyls 2-5, 3-4 so I can verify how many degrees "timing run out" I have between the cylinders. (+-1 degree at the moment with my crude tooling.)

My latest implementation below. Magnets sunk into the pulley, adds a bit more confidence that they wont come loose if I get crap between the engine and the pulley. Glued with JB Weld style glue.

I use an Allegro A3240 hall-sensor. I can recommend using a small capacitor for powersupply filtering near the hall. Modify the MS that it has +5v wired to the current limiting resistor for the optocoupler. Feed GND to the optocoupler from the hall out. Observe that the hallsensor is polarized! A good idea would be to have a spare sensor with an LED to be able to confirm magnet polarization before applying the glue.
    //Erik
    MS65 4M, MA61 5M-E, TA22, RA28, LS400
    Hidden Content

Thread Information