AE86 Pillowball strut rod install on Mk2 Writeup - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraWes's Avatar
    Dammit, I just realized I put M-X-63 in the title of this thread. Obviously I have been spending way too much time on the cressida board recently LOL If a MOD would change that to MA63 I would appreciate it.
    Wes
    1985, Super White II, 5 Speed, P-Type
    1992 BMW 325i 4d 5sp, daily funmobile!

04,05,06,07 SCCA CFR West Solo2 DSP 1st place
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Visit the Toyota Sportscars Website
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraWes
    The camber plates allow for so much camber I am really not sure I even need beyond stock caster settings. Whats your opinion? If I am getting enough camber with the plates to keep the tire even is there any benefit to more caster?
    from what i understand, by running more caster, you can reduce the negative camber you need to run. that way on straights you have a larger contact patch for better stopping, but on turns you get increased negative camber because of your caster settings.
    SDR 86 - 7mgte, GC coilovers w/ Koni Yellows front, Susp Tech w/ KYB Gas-A-Just rear, ADDCO sway bars front and rear, LJM front strut bar, custom adjustable rear bar, 2.5" exhaust no cats, ceramic coated pistons and bearings, shot peaned rods, HKS MHG, NPR IC, w/ 2.5" aluminum pipes, HKS BOV.
    Black 86 - 5mge (parts car)

I concur with Ken on the caster benefits. Just not sure how much is too much caster. I've seen some BMWs with 6+ degrees caster, but there must be a point of diminishing returns. I'll try some caster changes this year.

Hoping this will be a comeback year for me. The Supra has been inactive for too long. Got some interesting mods in my head for the car.

Btw, I just loved reading of the budget BBK, and the strut rod. I just can't find verification it is legal for my DSP class. I'm too modified to fit under the Street Touring Unlimited allowance for DSP, and DSP doesn't seem to allow the same mods as STU. Kinda caught between a rock and a urethane bushing.

Great mods though!

Don L.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SupraWes
    Gabe said they were dissapointed in the response for the MK2 specific parts when I contacted them so I thought I would give these a try and maybe create some buzz.
    Aside from camber plates, has Gabe made any other Mk2 specific parts? Nothing is listed on the website.
    --Peter--
    85 Supra P 6M-GE

Quote Originally Posted by Don L.
    I concur with Ken on the caster benefits. Just not sure how much is too much caster. I've seen some BMWs with 6+ degrees caster, but there must be a point of diminishing returns. I'll try some caster changes this year.

Hoping this will be a comeback year for me. The Supra has been inactive for too long. Got some interesting mods in my head for the car.

Btw, I just loved reading of the budget BBK, and the strut rod. I just can't find verification it is legal for my DSP class. I'm too modified to fit under the Street Touring Unlimited allowance for DSP, and DSP doesn't seem to allow the same mods as STU. Kinda caught between a rock and a urethane bushing.

Great mods though!

Don L.
    Well at least the BMW should be gone this year! They are bumping them up 2 classes lol. The brakes won't be alowed in DSP, nether will the strut rod because it replaces a rubber bushing with a solid one, I *think* that would bump you right to a mod class (E mod).

On the flip side no one is ever going to know about the brakes or Suprafiends gts steering arms. They look stock, other then maybe 4 or 5 of us across north amarica no one in the solo sceen knows any thing about these old cars. It's deferant with miatas and such were every other guy there had one at some point and was bending every rule in the book as fast as they were being writen.
    Just an 82 supra Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Chrisfrom1986's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyJ
    Aside from camber plates, has Gabe made any other Mk2 specific parts? Nothing is listed on the website.
    Right, there is no section for MA61 in their products page, and I sure dont see anyone from T3 posting here letting us know of new available parts. If they want response, then they need to advertise in the correct place.

Wes, thanks for doing this community such a service, trying out new products to find out what works.

CelicaSupra.com Member Kingsoup's Avatar
    Great writeup! looking forward to some more info on how well they help handling.
    1985 Supra in need of love! (my 5th Supra!)
    1995 Subaru WRX STi est 345hp flywheel
    1993 Toyota Celsior JP Exhaust, OZ 18's (The Cruiser!)
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraWes's Avatar
    Yup neither one is legal in DSP. I bet you could replace the 2 CNC'd metal spacers they provide for the front mount with derlin and flat washers and it would be legal, since derlin is an alowwable bushing material and it would be located in the factory location. Theres loopholes in everything For some reason it seems like the struts are working better now, maybe the binding issue was as bad as I thought it was. Brake feel is also better as expected, I got on them pretty hard from 120 ish and I could comfortably use more than I ever had before.
    Wes
    1985, Super White II, 5 Speed, P-Type
    1992 BMW 325i 4d 5sp, daily funmobile!

04,05,06,07 SCCA CFR West Solo2 DSP 1st place
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Visit the Toyota Sportscars Website
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SolidStateS15's Avatar
    wow, great find there. def something to look into for my build. i'll watch for 935 to start getting some in and see.
    - Black 85 P-Type 7M-GTE Project
    - Hidden Content , my DD
    - 06 4Runner Sport 4wd v6

I have no doubt those replacement strut rods work much better. The freedom of suspension travel is obvious. I'm also jealous of everyone who has better brakes than me (thats just about every integra, bmw, civic, neon, suby). These are great improvements to the cars that Wes describes. If I were just looking to improve my car for the street, with no limitations....yeah, in a heartbeat.

Don L.

Thread Information