Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Wheels that fit a Mk2

873K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  Gushy 
#1 ·
In order to keep things in an easier to find reference for the future. Please post any wheels the fit a Mk2. Please provide details you know such as;

L type or P-type
offset(s)
Manufacturer
pictures (preferably on the car)
estimated cost
tire size(s)
anything else that is relevant (rubs, spacers, etc)

Just one for me;

16x8" 0 offset Epsilon mesh with 245/45/16

No longer available new

No rubbing or anything. Will not fit Jim's front big brake kit.

See less See more
#1,226 · (Edited)
I think wheel design is more important than wheel size. Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would go plus-4 on a car I owned, but I didn't want to do a 5-lug conversion and there were only two companies (at the time) that sold quality 4 x 114 wheels, CCW and SSR. Now, certainly their wheels aren't cheap and a set cost more than many have in their cars. All that said, I opted for the CCW Classic-4s (three-piece; forged) because you can spec the wheels to your exact needs. In my case, and on all my cars, I try to get as much tire as possible underneath stock body work and have a wider track in the rear than the front, which is one of the MKII's wheel/tire/suspension idiosyncrasies. Anyway, I was more than pleased with the outcome and I think the results speak for themselves:

The key for me, with these wheels, is that, even though the wheels are 18-inches in diameter, the double-stepped lips and small center disc (relative to wheel diameter) hearkens back to the '80s when these cars were the flavor of the month. Wheel/tire specs are 18 x 8.5 +13 in front, mounted on a 245/35/18 Michelin PS2 and 18 x 10.5 +9 out back, mounted on a 295/30/18 PS2.

Ken.

#1,230 ·
<script

Thanks for the kind comments, Jim. I had Blackie at Wildomar. I didn't organize it but, having some experience with these things, I assisted the guys who were organizing a Supra event for the first time.

Stepped lips are a beautiful thing. I love the looks of 16's and the extra cushion, but the widest tire near the stock 24.75" height is 245/45 which is good for a 7.5-9" rim.

For 17's the widest street tires near the 25" tall range is 255/40 specced for 8.5-10" wide wheels and 265/40 specced for 9-10.5.

You are running 26" tall tires though which opens up a few wider options in the 17" tire range, and those stepped lips give the illusion that those wheels aren't as massive as they are. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind comments. Actually, the rear wheels on my car are 25-inches tall. They are 295/30/18s, not 295/30/19s as I mistakenly typed in my post (since edited). My front tires, sized 245/35/18, are 24.8 inches tall.

Ken.

#1,228 ·
Stepped lips are a beautiful thing. I love the looks of 16's and the extra cushion, but the widest tire near the stock 24.75" height is 245/45 which is good for a 7.5-9" rim.

For 17's the widest street tires near the 25" tall range is 255/40 specced for 8.5-10" wide wheels and 265/40 specced for 9-10.5.

You are running 26" tall tires though which opens up a few wider options in the 17" tire range, and those stepped lips give the illusion that those wheels aren't as massive as they are. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

#1,229 ·
I agree as well. Those look great!
I went outside to verify which style wheels were on my neighbors "Bullitt" Mustang and he wasn't home. So I verified the info on line. They look like the early style 14's and 15's. But I was wrong. They're actually 18's! And they come with 235/50/18's which are the same size Ford uses on their driving school cars. The Bullitt car is very under spoken, a real sleeper! Only on close examination (and hearing and watching it move) is it obvious to those in the know that something sinister is hiding under there!

#1,232 ·
thats MKIV is quite nicely styled, and thats a lot of rubber and wheel on a MKII. the MKII isnt what i would do, but i can definitely see your side of it. i also assume it has more than a garbage M motor in there. that MKIV is styled to my liking but very different from the MKII. its fun to do different styles on cars, they look good.

#1,237 ·
Hello everyone!

I've been reading this thread quite a few pages down now, and I get the feeling that the wheels I want will work, but for safety I'll ask here anyway.

I currently run stock mk2 wheels on 225/60/14 in the front and 245/60/14 in the rear. Now the wheels I've been looking at are a set of SSR Longchamp XR4 with 14x7.5 with -5 offset on the front wheels and 14x8 with -13 offset on the rear. Would those fit well on my current tyres, and would they fit well on the car without issues? I can also add that my '85 mk2 has stock ride height.

Thanks in advance!

#1,240 ·
I doubt you'll have any issues, but if you're keeping the same size tire the back will stick out 21mm more and the front 13mm more than stock.

#1,241 ·
Hey all, I've been reading through this thread and doing some research on replacing my stock p-type wheels. I've been looking at these XXR 550s and trying to determine if they will fit without major modification to the suspension, flares, etc...Here's what I'm looking at:

Front: XXR 550 17x8.25 Chromium Black 4-100/4-114.3 [+19mm]. Tire size = 245/40/17
Front: XXR 550 17x8.25 Chromium Black 4-100/4-114.3 [+19mm]. Tire size = 245/40/17 (maybe 265 or 275)

Here's the link to the wheels with more info. http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-550-Wheels-17x8-25-Chromium-Black-p/550784650.htm?CartID=1

I plan to run Dobinson lowering springs front (40mm drop) and rear (20mm drop) and AGXs all the way around. I've not installed these yet. No other mods to the suspension. I'll be running stock brakes for now and eventually upgrading later at some point.

Running the numbers on willtheyfit.com "http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=60&diameter=14&wheelwidth=7&offset=8&width2=245&aspect2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8-25&offset2=19 shows the wheel will be 26.9mm closer to the suspension strut for the front and rear. Seems like I'll be awfully close to hitting or rubbing something. I haven't purchased custom wheels and tires before so pretty new to this whole process. Will these work? Will I need a spacer to close the gaps? I read too wide of spacer causes stress to the wheel bearings. Any comments or suggestions? I like this style of wheel so if I'm way off on the sizing requirements then I'm open to other options. I almost pulled the trigger on set of ROH Snypers but wasn't quick enough. But I like the XXR spoke style better anyway.

#1,242 ·
8" +0 all around is pretty standard starting point, factor in that lots of folks run a 20mm spacer out back(even with stock wheels too) to get the wheels out closer to being flush and give more clearance inside.

8" with 245's up front is where you want like +10 offset to give maximum clearance under compression, so 10mm slip on spacer up front would make that work. In the back you'd want like a 20mm spacer to stick it out to a more reasonable location.

The bearings isn't the big deal, the most stress is put on the wheel studs. You'll want to upgrade to ARP studs if you run slip on spacers, and i would stay clear of bolt on ones unless you are feeling lucky. The spacers you get should be hubcentric also, so that will set you back a bit.

Honestly i'd go from some of the 16x8 +0 or 16x8.25 +2 XXR's that are also on sale, save a bit of money and give yourself some peace of mind.

If you search for staggered or stagger on ebay you'll find some good results sometimes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NS-Wheels-M...ash=item54289aaa51:g:v6UAAOSw3KFWgya8&vxp=mtr

Rota Grid, RKR, RB, and RB-R should have some good results too.

What brakes are you running?

#1,243 ·
Thanks for all the info man and suggestion. I like 17s a lot but sounds like 16s are easiest to fit. I'm running stock brakes now. I have cressida front calipers that I plan to rebuild and throw on with some good pads and rotors. Some day will go bbk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#1,245 ·
Hey all, I ordered these wheels last night. Slight variation of my previous post. I really wanted the staggered look and I like this design better. They are on sale and seem like a good deal. I'm also doing the Q45/MPV brake upgrade as seen in my other post, lowering springs and AGXs. Really excited to get to be moving the car forward.

Front: XXR 527 17x8.25 Chromium Black 4-100/4-114.3 [+25mm] Info
Rear: XXR 527 17x9.75 Chromium Black 4-100/4-114.3 [+25mm] Info

I'm thinking I will wait to order the spacers until I get the wheels, install the Q45/MPVs, measure and see what exact size to get. Unless anyone has this exact setup and can tell me? I'll be running 275/40/17 in the rear and 245/40/17 tires in the front.

#1,246 ·
You're going to need about a 15-20mm Adapter for the rear to keep the wheel from fouling with the well in the back. I run 17x9 +19 and the wheel comes within an 1/8 of the body on the inside. The front a 10mm spacer with the land cruiser studs should be sufficient.

#1,247 ·
That's a lot of positive offset. Stock wheels being +8mm, those wheels will be 17mm farther inward toward your strut and susp stuff. If you run 245mm tires in front that means your new tires will be 29.5mm farther inward than the stock wheel/tire setup. So lots of spacer might be needed, which means longer wheel studs. My guess about a 1.5" longer stud in front? The rears are even more work.

#1,248 ·
Thanks for the responses. I ordered these studs DORMAN 610414 M12-1.50 Serrated Wheel Stud; 14.38mm Knurl; 45mm Length. I believe stock stud length is 37mm all the way around so that's 8mm difference. The land cruiser studs are 40 - 44.5mm long according to RockAuto. Sounds like maybe the dormans i ordered at 45mm aren't long enough. I found this ARP stud kit. 2.75" long or 69.85mm which is 32.85mm longerARP-100-7720-Wheel-Mazda-Miata.

#1,249 ·
10mm spacer for the front is fine. With a 5-6mm thick rotor it will bring the offset down to around +10 which is perfect for 8" wheels in the front IMO

#1,251 ·
I have 8.25" wheels in front so would I need to compensate for the additional 0.25 inch? If I look at willtheyfit.com the 17×8 +25 setup is 29.7mm closer to the strut compared to stock. However 17x8.25 +25 is 32.9mm closer to strut. Difference of 3.2mm. So would I need a 13mm spacer?

#1,250 ·
I got the wheels last week and man they look bad a$$. Here's a couple pics of me test fitting the rears. They are 17x9.75 and as you can see it's very tight and definitely needs a spacer. I should have test fitted the fronts but I already took apart the entire assembly and separated the rotors in prep for the Q45/mpv upgrade. See my other post.here.

#1,252 ·
Same question for the rears. Wheels are 17x9.75 and will be 51.9mm closer to the strut compared to stock. I'm keeping the stock rotors and brake setup. A 20mm spacer will close that gap to 31.9mm closer to the strut. I'm wondering if that's a big enough spacer? Basically I want to ensure these will work before ordering them because Ideally i'd like to order once.

#1,253 ·
A little late, but easy answer is to actually MEASURE what you have on car for clearance. Pull out the tape-measure and rulers. Then subtract what WTF has calculated for changed clearance. That leaves you with actual clearance. Negative numbers mean it'll rub.

#1,255 ·
Actually my set up fits pretty well if say so myself. Thanks to the help of some good dudes on here with way more experience than me. I'm still learning a lot. So you're right I could have taken the wheel fitment a bit further by measuring precisely. And actually I did calculate the spacer fitment and it came out pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.