Tire Shredder's 7MGE budget NA screamer build thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member

Talking

C'mon Steve. The real reason you're not going GTE is cause mom wont let you.

Dont forget I have those cleaned up valves for ya. You going to Marks on the 9th ???
    No placebos 4 me, I prefer to cheat

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I vote MHG for this build because I have a guess there will be a snail on the exhaust manifold someday .

BTW I'm quite envious, your cyl head hardly has anywear on the cam journals.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    I vote MHG for this build because I have a guess there will be a snail on the exhaust manifold someday .

84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Tire Shredder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeno_omega View Post
    yo, awesome job. Can't wait until it's done. I'm gonna send you a PM regarding the wiring for when you tackle it.
    later
    Thanks chris, I'll keep in touch with you and damon!

Quote Originally Posted by wjanusz View Post
    I'm definitely interested in this. That's been my thought for a while. Now I just need to find a running 7m in a car so I don't have to run around for all the misc parts!
    will keep it updated! thanks for the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by 9Teen86 View Post
    Steve,
    Keep up with the great documentation on this project as ususal. I find the detailed pics of the progress make it much more interesting and easy to understand. Will be watching for you updates, good luck!
    thanks for the compliments! I really like haing all my information and pictures in one place aswell for my own records. Hopefully a well kept and interesting thread will spark more discussion on the subject.
    Black 7M-GE 84 P-type Hardtop
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Tire Shredder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scarletlizard View Post
    C'mon Steve. The real reason you're not going GTE is cause mom wont let you.

Dont forget I have those cleaned up valves for ya. You going to Marks on the 9th ???
    bah you're just jealous my parents drove me to supra meets before I had a license. haha

right! I had forgotten about that! that will make the head got together much easier! will be a huge help. see you at the meet on saturday? I could use a headlight washer...I lost one this week (will give you a few bucks)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post

hehe there will be someday, but not on this motor. It must have low compression and the piston cooling nozzels from the 7mgte block..later year crank would be nice for that too. I refuse to go "on the cheap" with a turbo engine, and it will be well thought out with proper parts and plenty of time (and money) spent on it when the time comes. Most likely that "time" will be in 5-10 years when I have a steady job, a second car and when the supra is ready for a complete restoration. In a nutshell, not now...later. I have fun with this now

Re:the cams: I was really surprised my self! gave me a hint that machine shop bill might not be too huge. car should pull nicely even with those stock cams in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    quiet you
    Black 7M-GE 84 P-type Hardtop
    Hidden Content

Steve,
    That engine looks to be in very good condition. A rare find for sure, and the price was right. :-) I agree with you that a stock HG should work fine with ARP head studs. Be careful when swapping valves, though! Each valve was matched to it's own valve seat when the original valve install was done at the factory, so swapping valves would necessitate a complete valve job. Do you have a copy of the TSRM for a 87 MKIII? If not, maybe you can borrow one or pick one up cheap on eBay. Installed valve stem height is crucial in order to maintain the proper valve spring installed height (one of the pains of OHC engines). You also might want to consider replacing the tired valve springs if you plan to push the powerband up to redline with or w/o reground cams.. The exhaust valve springs run hotter than the intake springs, so you could probably be safe with just replacing the exhaust springs. As for the main and rod bearing inserts, be sure that you don't mix them up! If the inserts are the originals, they will have a single large number printed on the back. The numbering system is used to identify the size (thickness) of the inserts. The main saddles, crank journals, and rod big ends all have a machining tolerance that require each bearing to be custom sized to each saddle/journal. Some machine shops will tell you that the system is a bunch of bunk, but the inserts were custom selected from the factory for a reason. I personally believe that a lot of rod knock and main bearing wear issues are due to improper bearing sizing during a rebuild.

Keep up the great work and keep the pics. coming.
    Last edited by Dave A.; 05-30-2007 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I'll say this now ---- For the HATERS who believe an NA 7M swap is a waste of time and effort ---- DON'T READ/COMMENT !!! Wade -- this means YOU !!!
    Meh. I had no intention to taint this thread with my opinion about NAs, the other guy, however, was a different story. Hell, I wasn't even going to post on it till i saw my name. But I will say, Steve install a MHG, they're not much more money than a stocker. MHG's are cheap insurance.
    Last edited by WadeT; 05-31-2007 at 03:05 AM. Reason: add

Steve,

I'm with Wade, Aaron & others who have said go with a MHG.

Why????

12 - 13 years of reading WAY WAY TOO MANY postings from the SOGI list of peeps w/ 7MGE's on their NA piggy's who end up with BHG's, even though they did all the usual preventative maintenance things on their checklist. Including the usual retorque to 72 ft lbs. All because they thought the stock HG would hold up. They quickly learned they should have done a MHG the 1st time.

Do it once & do it right the 1st time!!! MHG FTW!!!!
    Chris Eng
    1981 MA47 Silver Metallic 5ME Automatic
    1985 MA67 Super Deep Red 5MGE 5-speed
    Member PacNW Supras/Hidden Content from Popular Science
    Despite the constant physical and--judging by the twitchy, panicked expression--mental punishment inflicted on him by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew窶冱 experiments, Beaker keeps coming back for more. Clearly the Jackass crew grew up ingesting a healthy dose of these Muppet Show regulars.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Good grief....if there is anyone that will make this work and come out with a great looking engine bay...its you Steve.

And for future newbs....make sure you pay attention to this important rule.....He searched first. And then he searched again. And then again.

Kinda like washing your hair...wash rinse repeat.

Good luck Steve! Cant wait to see the finished product. Maybe it will inspire me to drop a 7mge in my mk1.
    I'd consider it a personal favor if you did not show up at the meet. you can just disappear.

Watching this thread with interest, 7mge MK2's are quick enough to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Will be interesting to see you 1/4mile times once its all said and done. Another vote for MHG, HKS 1.2mm still going strong after 50,000kms and a big overheating incident when my thermos stopped working.
    owner of the uber 7mge Hidden Content , 14.787 1/4 mileHidden Content

Thread Information