Tire Shredder's 7MGE budget NA screamer build thread - Page 41

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

+10 for a sexy car, na, fast, and a sick sounding car props
    Project cars are like ladies, sometimes they make you smile and love life,
    while other times they kick you in the crotch and make you cry.

CelicaSupra.com Member 85midnightsupra's Avatar
    i just looked through roughly the last 12 pages and wow! Great job man.....
    -Jonathan 1985 black MKII 7mgte 299rwhp/321tq 9lbs 13.548@108.38
    Our father, who art in Toyota hallowed be thy name. Thy 7m has come, the boost will be done in MKII and it is in MKIII. Give us this day our daily kill and forgive us our awesome launches, as we forgive Hondas who launch against us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I almost have no words, Steve, great job. Your car was awesome and now it's even more so. Can't wait until I get to see it again in person. Keep up the good work and making the rest of us look bad. lol
    Charles "Cee-Jay" Hughes
    Silver 86 w/6M-GTE
    Silver 99 TRD Solara S/C Long Beach Ed.
    Black 88 4Runner V6

CelicaSupra.com Member Kingsoup's Avatar
    Wow great video! car sounds and goes badass! Nice man!! I wish I was back in Ontario to see it in person!
    1985 Supra in need of love! (my 5th Supra!)
    1995 Subaru WRX STi est 345hp flywheel
    1993 Toyota Celsior JP Exhaust, OZ 18's (The Cruiser!)
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

CelicaSupra.com Member OkieRA29's Avatar
    That is it, I am scrapping my MkIII and putting the 7M in my MkII. I have been hemming and hawing over it for months. After reading this thread, the question has been solved. The 7M is going in the MkII and the MkIII will either be sold or parted out. Yours is way too sweet!!! Great job on the swap!!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Talksoup Hidden Content
    So before someone lights you up like neon under a honda civic,do some research
    76 RA29 20R cam and weber
    85 Celica GT 300K and counting
    85 MX72 parts hauler

CelicaSupra.com Member Tire Shredder's Avatar
    Bringing this thread back from the dead to close it off as a reference. This engine has now been severely damaged and will be removed from the car this fall. Although I stayed on top of maintenance I was always very hard on the engine.

After 25 laps of at a Toronto Motorsports Park lapping event, the 7MGE developed some nasty rod-knock and needed to be towed home. Although I was always diligent about oil level, and ran motorsports events with +1Qt, I believe I pushed the engine temp too high, for too many laps and overheated the oil.

It's been a good run, and overall this project exceeded my expectations for reliability and fun on such a small budget. It was an important piece of the puzzle that allowed the car to run above mid-pack at most autocrosses, right up there with miatas and s2000s, and get the car to run a 14.85 in the 1/4 mile.

In total it was in the car for 9 years and traveled 69,000km, and sliding the car through 10 lapping days and 20 autocrosses. The stock headgasket, and head bolts held up fine. The engine did burn oil later in it's life at wide open throttle. It would not be unreasonable to burn nearly 3/4 of a litre of oil during a lapping event later in it's life - I believe this could be contributed to ring wear and would fall in line with the slower 15.1s 1/4 mile times it could manage in recent years.

If I were to do it again, and drive it as aggressively as I did, I would recommend the following:
    - Install only OEM Toyota engine oil seals from the start. All the Ebay-grade seals needed to be replaced within the first year
    - Install a thermostatically controlled oil cooler
    - Consider additional oiling modifications (pump shims, crossover tube, oil pan baffling)
    - Maybe a gentler, more traditional break-in
    - buy a good quality fan controller (www.dccontrol.com) right from the start

I'll be starting another project soon that I surely will post once I have made some progress. As a final send-off, I leave this thread with some raw autocross standings and a video from another event. RIP 7M-GE!

https://youtu.be/TxzqyJrgFC4

Best finish, proud to be among the newer cars with still less power than most

Black 7M-GE 84 P-type Hardtop
    Hidden Content

Well done!

"She Died Doing What She Loved".......

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

So what are you building next?

Thread Information