Rear Wheel Bearing Job
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Dangerous Ken's Avatar

Rear Wheel Bearing Job

I just had the rear wheel bearings done at Toyota.
    Normally, I like to do repairs in my own garage, but I counted no less than 19 SSTs (Special Service Tools) I didn't have in the RA (Rear Axle) SST section.

Very expensive job - List price $463 parts, $262.50 labor

Here is an exploded diagram:

Parts List:
    (2) 90179-20061 Nut $12.80 $25.60
    (2) 90311-38009 Seal, Type $11.32 $22.64
    (2) 90366-30001 Bearing, RT $47.47 $94.94
    (2) 42413-22010 Spacer, RR $72.85 $145.70
    (2) 90368-34083-77 Bearing, RT $70.15 $140.30
    (2) 90311-48001 Seal, Type $16.50 $33.00

I didn't need the paper gaskets in the center of the picture, but they were only $3.86.

My rear axle shafts ended up being frozen in place - even the slide hammer SST did not budge them. And, I found out that the Toyota service bays do not have a torch around - gas canisters not allowed. So the master tech brought his own in from home to complete the job . This is a 50? bay service department that does on 75-100 service jobs a day.

Some notes on the car - 1984 L type Auto, 162,000 miles, was a California car so no rust on the undercarriage. It was the first time the rear wheel bearings had been serviced.

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member scorpmatt's Avatar
    wow... that's one pricey jorb there ken!

Will be doing the rear wheel bearings on the 85 soon (260k+ and climbing on original bearings/races), neighbor has all the tools to put the bearings and races in. I just get the joy of pulling it all apart.
    Brat, 83 Supra, 7m-gte, Multi year project
    Rex, 85 Supra, 6m-ge, SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    I don't see a problem here, you should rant about something important like when ignoramuses see mkII and say emkaytwo instead of MarkTwo like they should. WTF is an emkay 2? It's a MARK 2! BITCH!

Quote Originally Posted by scorpmatt View Post
    wow... that's one pricey jorb there ken!

Will be doing the rear wheel bearings on the 85 soon (260k+ and climbing on original bearings/races), neighbor has all the tools to put the bearings and races in. I just get the joy of pulling it all apart.
    Ditto on that... It's on my list of this to do to get the Supra up to snuff. I've got access to a wide selection of tools and machines to do the work but it's fun none-the-less!
    Mikey C
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1984 P-Type Celica Supra
    Currently getting turboed...

CelicaSupra.com Member scorpmatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vfinch View Post
    Ditto on that... It's on my list of this to do to get the Supra up to snuff. I've got access to a wide selection of tools and machines to do the work but it's fun none-the-less!
    Yeah, I figure the supra will be down for a minimum of a weekend for this. Start saturday after work, pray I can finish it before 11pm sunday night.
    Brat, 83 Supra, 7m-gte, Multi year project
    Rex, 85 Supra, 6m-ge, SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    I don't see a problem here, you should rant about something important like when ignoramuses see mkII and say emkaytwo instead of MarkTwo like they should. WTF is an emkay 2? It's a MARK 2! BITCH!

Pretty cool you got to be on site for the job.
    That is pretty pricey for the parts... Nothing we can skimp on except the gasket things?

What is that to the right of the paper gaskets? Above the first red box?
    86 Black MA67: 87 7M, 300hp, no shit! 84 Brown MX63: It's a Dork, not Donk!
    Check out some 7M Supra Videos!
    Links: My 7M-GTE swap guide Electrical FAQ 85 MA61 TEWD 86 MA61 TSRM 87 MA71 TSRM 90 MA71 TSRM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tire Shredder View Post
    "surprise! this one runs 11s biatch"

CelicaSupra.com Member Suprasman01's Avatar
    Wow, I did mine in the lot at work, cups, cones and seals? Had to make a driver for the races but managed. IIRC about an hour on the passenger side and 1.5 on drivers (exhaust right in the way PITA)
    JoelD

Pics for sale HERE
    1985 Green 7mgTe p-type
    1990 Audi Quattro V8 - Classy Ride
    1991 Toyota "MOONCRUIZER" Previa van - Parts Hauler

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    yah that job sucks - i used a 50 ton press to get the axles out since i had the arms out of the car
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

CelicaSupra.com Member Negative Boost's Avatar
    I just replaced the axel bearings in the drivers side (my passender side) just a week ago. I had the whole swing arm out of the car. So chuck it in the press to pop the axel out. Punch out the seals, bearing cups, clean up.

Buy bearing kit which included both bearings and seals for AU$65. Made a couple thin shims out of copper for the big spacer/crush tube i reused (toyota wanted $80 for a new one, pfft stuff that). Put new bearing cups in swing arm. Pack bearings full of grease, pack swing arm with grease. Put bearings in swing arm then seals, put axel into swing arm. Use a big G-clamp to press it in (too awkard for big press), reuse old nut and check for play and turning resistance, adjust if needed and ya done!

Total cost $65 + HTB grease i had in the shed already. Plus a couple weeks becuase i had to get the face machined ($50) cuss there was .4mm runout and work was getting in the way like usual.

Kinda glad i did it myself... I also rebushed both swing arms though with Noltec bushes at the same time.

Just curious, what brand bearings were they? In other words, what was stamped on the bearings, wondering who Toyota uses.

CelicaSupra.com Member Dangerous Ken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn29
    That is pretty pricey for the parts... Nothing we can skimp on except the gasket things?
    What is that to the right of the paper gaskets? Above the first red box?
    What do you mean by 'skimp'?
    I would consider doing this job myself without the right tools skimping.
    As far as the parts, these parts have lasted hundreds of thousands of miles in most of the MkIIs out there (I can count the number of people on this forum that have done the rear wheel bearings on one hand...).
    That's a pretty good track record for this particular set of 'Toyota' parts.
    It's not a job you want to do again should a Non Toyota (read cheaper) bearing or seal go bad in less miles.

To the right of the paper gaskets is the 'Spacer' (with the bump in the middle).

Half the cost of the parts are what Toyota deemed 'non reusable'. So what is left are the conical bearings. If you are taking on this job because you have bearings that need replaced, I guess you can only 'skimp' on the parts that Toyota calls 'non reusable'. Then how long will the grease stay in if you reused seals?...

The cost of this repair is a problem. I can get another MkII for what I spent (And I did not pay list).
    I just decided to document it and put it out there so people that are keeping their MkIIs forever know what to expect and what to ask for at Christmas. That would be a BJ - 'Bearing Job' .

Make friends with your parts supplier, whoever that may be as you could save money there.

Ken
    Last edited by Dangerous Ken; 09-20-2007 at 02:50 PM.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Nice write up Ken! My old Supra need this, but the rust beat me to the death. Pretty costly though.....wow.
    I'd consider it a personal favor if you did not show up at the meet. you can just disappear.

Thread Information