5.7L swap? 3UR-FE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Lee_MA61's Avatar

5.7L swap? 3UR-FE

So I've been thinking this last few days, as I have been nearing the completion of my 2JZ-GTE. What will I do after I'm done? Should I just sit back relax and be happy? The answer should be yes, but I for some reason want to keep my self busy.

Last night I came up with my next possible project. I'm a fan of the V8, as they just sound incredible. And I was going to swap a UZ series into my Supra before the 2J. Now I have found the new direction for my next swap. The 3UR-FE, that's right the 5.7 liter V8 out of the 2007 Toyota Tundra, 2008 Toyota Sequoia, 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser, and the Lexus LX 570.

Info on the 3UR-FE.

- V8
    - Displacement 5663 cc
    - Quad Cam
    - 32 valves
    - VVT-i
    - Bore 3.7 in.
    - Stroke 4.02 in.
    - 381 HP @ 5,600 RPM
    - 401 ft/lbs Tq. @ 3,600 RPM

I haven't yet seen any for sale on ebay. I would assume that by the time I find my next Mk. II Supra. There will be a few poking around in the junk yards. Just think about the rumble this V8 would make.. And you can says it's all Toyota

This swap would increase the weight of the car and probably hurt the handling. Unless compensated for with suspension mods, etc.

Any thoughts, Ideas, Plans? Anything to add?
    Random House Racing
    -1984 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Red (2JZ-GTE + 74mm) JZA61 History thread
    -2010 GMC, Sierra 2500HD Imperial Blue Metallic (L96)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member sarinas_dragons's Avatar
    I have my 1UZE for sale on craiglist.

I don't think you would want for support if you went that way.

There are engine mounts, carb and itb manifolds, camshafts, bellhousings and I'm not baggin' on iron blocks but......

By the time you have it done with either powerplant, I bet you won't care it will be so fun.

The stock reliability and power of the newer engine is so tempting, though. Could you leave it alone? There is not much call for rubber-based, parallel black-line applier. "...draw straight lines, dammit.."
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by sarinas_dragons View Post
    There is not much call for rubber-based, parallel black-line applier. "...draw straight lines, dammit.."
    I think it would be applying many parallel rubber lines

Could you leave it alone??

Like you said currently there is zero aftermarket support for the 3UR-FE. All parts would have to be fabed up. And it would make the car ultra heavy in the front end. It would lose the a lot of handling and would under-steer like it was nobodies business.

I do believe it's safe to say an Mk.II that has over 200 HP would be fun to drive.
    Random House Racing
    -1984 Toyota, Celica Supra P-Type Super Red (2JZ-GTE + 74mm) JZA61 History thread

When I was in my teens a friend's dad swapped two engines into a Vega. The first was a 427. I don't know if you could call it fun, not being able to color inside the lines. Not being able to even draw a straight one.

The second was a V6 swap and in comparison it had every virtue the 427 lacked but one....
    Kenny

So what you are saying is a swap like this would probably be something like a glorified burnout king. Which I can see as it won't handle very well and traction could be an issue.
    Random House Racing

You could go the other way with a revvy, 3SGTE build.

It has alot of good qualities-

Only buying four upgrade rods, and 16 titanium valves to start.

The 3Ss are well supported in the aftermarket

You could have powerband and responsiveness, from 6000 to 9000

It would be unique and go the opposite way for front/rear weight bias and handling
    Kenny

I've actually seriously considered a 3S. I work on a Mk.II MR2 Turbo all the time and that engine like you said is rev happy. It takes the abuse and would keep the handling of the car and improve it.

I belive there is a bellhousing that Fits the S series engines to the W series trannies. So that would be a bonus.

Hmm a lot to consider while I finish my current project.
    Random House Racing

The Toyota Van 3/4Y adapts the 3s to the W5x.

There is a slight modification to one of the starter mounting holes. My friend welded and redrilled the hole and it looks factory.

Do it! GT35 and another type of exhaust note to scare everybody.
    Last edited by sarinas_dragons; 12-05-2007 at 12:07 PM.
    Kenny

Thanks for that info. It'll be useful if I or someone else goes that direction.

The 3S swap would remind me of the Le-Mans and JTCC Mk.IV Supras. It would be rather interesting.

Thanks for providing a wider prospective, as to say bigger isn't always better.
    Random House Racing

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I wouldnt say the 3ur is as heavy as a 2uz because it is aluminum not iron. It is open deck and it looks like it can handle some massive boost. There are cut away pictures in this thread: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9060

Another interesting difference is that engine has a timing chain rather then a belt. The engine looks very high quality.

Thread Information