Brake conversion

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Brake conversion ***Now complete***

Swap #1 with wheel spoke clearance issues.

Hub:1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 uses a floating disc and is 4x114.3. Must change studs to 12x1.5mm and center bore is 66.1mm, machine down to 60.1mm. Hub reg is 68mm. Will clear MPV disc.

Caliper:1990 to 1996 Infiniti Q45 2 piston.

Disc:1992 to 1995 4WD MPV redrilled to 4x114.3.

Napa Online

"# of Bolt Holes : 5
    Bolt Circle Diameter : 4.5"
    Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.86"
    Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.02"
    Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.1"
    Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
    Center Hole Diameter : 2.84"
    Height : 2.52"
    Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
    Vented / Solid : Vented
    "

Rock Auto

Swap #2

Hub:1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 uses a floating disc and is 4x114.3. Must change studs to 12x1.5mm and center bore is 66.1mm, machine down to 60.1mm. Hub reg is 68mm. Will clear MPV disc.

Caliper:1990 to 1996 Z32 Nissan 300ZX Turbo or 1991 to 1996 300ZX NA 4 piston.

Disc:1992 to 1995 4WD MPV redrilled to 4x114.3.

Napa Online

"# of Bolt Holes : 5
    Bolt Circle Diameter : 4.5"
    Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.86"
    Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.02"
    Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.1"
    Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
    Center Hole Diameter : 2.84"
    Height : 2.52"
    Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
    Vented / Solid : Vented
    "

Rock Auto

Will add more later.

12-09-2003

Guys working on a front brake conversion for the MK2 that will be more affordable. Almost there. Will fit 15" and bigger wheels. There may be some limitations though.

Here is a sneak peek at it. The cardboard is temporary and is there for a reason, I'll explain later.

I should have everything worked out by the new year. Just waiting for parts, holidays to start and exams to finish.

Once completed I will post the conversion on the web so anyone can do it themselves.
    Last edited by rsdeo; 11-26-2015 at 10:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Sounds good...will it require bigger wheels or can you still use the 14" rims? I'd like to have better brakes but haven't really seen any wheels that I like other than the stock ones.

Re: Brake conversion

Quote Originally Posted by rsdeo
    Guys working on a front brake conversion for the MK2 that will be more affordable. Almost there. Will fit 15" and bigger wheels. There may be some limitations though.

sounds like 15" wheels, so one size up, which sucks, but 15s are cheaper than 16s, and its rare to get a brake upgrade that doesnt involve wheels larger than 14".

itll be nice to see upgraded brakes for those of us on more of a budget... i mean, id love to get the JDK kit, but its way out of my league price wise.
    - the Bentley Continental GT...at 1600 rpm it makes more torque than an entire production run of hondas
    - "Drifting...isn't that what homeless people do?"
    - Ah VTEC. All the lag, none of the turbo. It's like waiting for bad sex

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Same here! 15's are quite easier to find, plus tires are cheaper.

Hoorah!

--BillyM

You're not going to get much of an upgrade if you keep your 14" wheels - the brakes are pretty much as big as they can get already! Sure you could upgrade to a multi-piston caliper, but that won't address the real problem with Mk2 brakes - inadequate heat dissipation. If you want to dissipate more heat, you need larger rotors; if you want larger rotors (well, any more than a few mm) you'll have to get rid of the 14" wheels.

The disc diameter will be slightly larger, as will be the width from stock. By increasing both slightly I'm hoping to get the same effect as just increasing the diameter.

The whole idea behind this conversion was to do something that would be less expensive, that almost anyone could do with a little work themselves.

If this works out well I'll try something with the rears.

There will be limitations though.

Well done man...I'm sure a lot of people are going to love this little research project of yours. Good luck and keep us informed...lmk if you need any help bud...later.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    i already started something like that, those are the same calipers im using. anyhow, i just need to call coleman racing and get rotors made. they wont be cheap but i am doing it to fit behind the 15x7 are's im gonna put on the blue car. my black one is getting my 16's so ill just get jim kings bbk.
    william
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

I have both front and rear BBKs, though not installed on my MK2 yet. Really nice job.

With this conversion I'm trying to use as few parts as possible and many off them will be off the shelf. The parts that can't be readily bought are designed to be easily built at very low cost and are reusable. I just made four of the custom parts for free. The two remaining custom parts to complete the project should not be too costly. If things are going to be expensive then the jdk kit would be a better solution.

There is a lot of variations in the design and the person wanting to complete it themselves will choose for themselves which direction to go.

This project really goes hand in hand with another one I have already completed.

Some 14" wheels may fit, but again limitations exist. You can't get anything for free. It won't be for everyone, but a good alternative.

I will try ordering my discs tomorrow and once they arrive a major part of the puzzle should fall into place.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    keep us updated.
    william
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Thread Information