Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Wipers 101

43K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  aerojock 
#1 ·
This thread is to help everyone understand wipers. Many people get wiper blades and wiper inserts confused, and calling them the correct name is the difference between $3 and $12...plus shipping

85220 is the BLADE
85190 is the ARM
85221 is the RUBBER INSERT

Here's a little comparison shot. The top BLADE is well known to most of you. It is the factory blade off of a MkII Supra. The lower blade is your Brand-X replacement blade you get at the local parts store

On the Toyota BLADE, the INSERT is removable. This is what it looks like on it's way out

Once it's out the INSERT looks like this

You'll notice it has no plastic rib to add strength to it, it's just a floppy piece of rubber (unlike many aftermarket inserts)

Here's a couple of shots of the blade without the insert in it.

The rib that holds the insert is captured in the blade, meaning it's not made to come out. Many after market wiper manufacturers have you take the rib out and replace with an insert that has a plastic rib attached to it. These plastic ribs don't fit the Toyota blades very well, and can cause chattering, overly loud roll over (flip/flop) or squeaking. If you've tossed the factory rib, you can not use factory inserts. The rib is only sold with the wiper blade assembly. Here's a pic of the insert being fed into the wiper blade

Hope that helps everyone understand not only what they have, but what they may need in the future! Thanks!

See less See more
#34 ·
Crap!

Toyota Part:
ARM
Part NO.: 85210-14111
Notes:
The part you are looking for is NOT Available.

#36 ·
The fix that I have used for 20+ years on my 84+ wipers is:
I buy generic refills (dollar store or ??) with a similar top mounting shape for the rubber. Pull them out of the plastic holder, cut to length, and thread them into the stock Supra holding slits.
Buy a lifetime supply.
I thought I had but the desert sun catches up to my supply.

Found this confirming reference to the 85 owners manual
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...n-t-remove-my-damn-Wipers&p=130507#post130507

#37 ·
weeeellllll i just replaced my 84's with some trico's. they fit, they work, and it only took me about an hour to modify/switch and figure it out to switch it around (including time digging for that machine screw and nut)

for the passenger arm, take the driver side "clip" that screws to the arm, and bam, passenger side is done, for the driver side you get a little more creative. drill out the "pivot" pin that allows the blade to see-saw, remove from bracket, insert trico, hold in place with machine screw, replace onto arm.

havent tested in the rain yet, but they seem to work fine.

#38 ·
Mccote, you have the right idea. I did this to my wipers about 3 years ago. It works great, but I have one suggestion. Make sure your bolt/nut are of a non-rusting type. I had just re-painted my wiper arms before I made this exact same bolt fix as you did. After a couple of rainy and snowy days however, my pretty painted arms were ruined by the rust build-up on the small bolt I had used. After re-prepping a and re-painting the arms, I went to McMaster.com and found the right diameter bolt/nut combo, but in a nylon-type material. They have been on for a couple years now and working great! If you can't get the nylon type material, at least make sure you have a nut/bolt combo made of something that doesn't rust.

#39 ·
Hi Mark....Very old thread I know but I'm trying to locate MA61 LH part 85220 for an 83 P type and your article caught my eye (I was feeling really stupid trying to figure out how to get the thing apart to put the Bi-Mart special blade on). If you can help give me a shout please. Dana

#42 ·
West coasters aren't used to freezing weather and they don't know that.
I modified the holders so when they park,it lifts the wipers off of the windshield.
Also keeps them from being bent one way.

#44 ·
#47 ·
Your question has been bugging me for most of today.

Take the wiper blade assembly into your local parts store and ask for some help.
The real way to fix a problem with a propitiatory blade is to design your own. It will take you about a 1/2 hour.

If you have Internet access,it will be a crap shoot on what to order.
The old school way to to replace just the rubber sections,individually. Not too much fun.
Drill out the RIVET and use a small bolt and nut so you can snap in an Anco blade assembly.

#50 · (Edited)
I modded my wipers like this:

Where the two screws are i have cut away some of the metal so that a metal "hook" that wipers with Quick-clip can be inserted into fits under, then drilled and made threads so that it can be securely screwed into place. The same procedure was used on the other wiper.

The wipers i use is: BOSCH 450U and H380 which are found here at nearly every gas station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.