Wipers 101

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipers 101

2JZ in the hole

Wipers 101

This thread is to help everyone understand wipers. Many people get wiper blades and wiper inserts confused, and calling them the correct name is the difference between $3 and $12...plus shipping

85220 is the BLADE
    85190 is the ARM
    85221 is the RUBBER INSERT

Here's a little comparison shot. The top BLADE is well known to most of you. It is the factory blade off of a MkII Supra. The lower blade is your Brand-X replacement blade you get at the local parts store

On the Toyota BLADE, the INSERT is removable. This is what it looks like on it's way out

Once it's out the INSERT looks like this

You'll notice it has no plastic rib to add strength to it, it's just a floppy piece of rubber (unlike many aftermarket inserts)

Here's a couple of shots of the blade without the insert in it.

The rib that holds the insert is captured in the blade, meaning it's not made to come out. Many after market wiper manufacturers have you take the rib out and replace with an insert that has a plastic rib attached to it. These plastic ribs don't fit the Toyota blades very well, and can cause chattering, overly loud roll over (flip/flop) or squeaking. If you've tossed the factory rib, you can not use factory inserts. The rib is only sold with the wiper blade assembly. Here's a pic of the insert being fed into the wiper blade

Hope that helps everyone understand not only what they have, but what they may need in the future! Thanks!
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member jefe_not's Avatar
    Very cool! Make this one a sticky!

Can you also show the difference between the old style and the newer style (the one with the screws)?
    Jeff Sawyer
    I used to have a few Supras. I do miss them...

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Good write-up Mark!

Also would be nice to know the price of the parts and availability.

I would like to get new : BLADES, INSERTS, and ARMS! You can PM me the price to keep the chatter out of the thread. Thanks. For an 84 P, of course. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Grant

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Buttered's Avatar
    Hey Mark,

Is it possible to still get everything for the front wipers (Left and Right)(Blades, Inserts, and Arms) and the one rear one (Blades, Inserts, and Arms) for an 84 Supra?

Thanks in advance

Edit: A PM in fine instead of filling this thread.
    Benjamin

White 84 P-Type, 5M-GE - S3 Version2 Short Shifter, LJM Strut Bar, Magnaflow Muffler

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Looking for a source for wiper inserts, replacements or whatever it takes for a 1983 Supra. Nothing local will work
    Hidden Content 1983 and 1985 Supra P-Types, 1987 Supra, 1981 Z28, 02 ZO6, 99 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe, 05 GTO, 08 HD Nightster, 99 F250, 97 Suburban, 98 GMC Dually, 95 Bronco, 88 944S, 88 Mustang (CMC), 78 Nova, 73 Chevelle SS, plus a few others

2JZ in the hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Varkwso View Post
    Looking for a source for wiper inserts, replacements or whatever it takes for a 1983 Supra. Nothing local will work
    Take a picture of your driver's side wiper and post it...I'll be able to help you out once that is done unless you can tell me if the driver's side arm has been replaced in the past?
    Mark

CelicaSupra.com Member CELICA GTS's Avatar
    Mark
    Here is more info that the professor did that might help you out!
    http://forums.celicasupra.com/showth...ght=wiper+arms
    Mike "P"
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner longbed

If your referring to the rubber inserts I have used ANCO Part # T20R for years, cut to fit, hard to find though!!

Rockauto.com has them for +/- $4.30ish a pair.

Nice write up Mark!!

Quote Originally Posted by Varkwso View Post
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The ANCO cut to fit do not work at all in our wiper arms. I will post up a photo..soon...dead battery in the camera

How do I post a picture here?
    Last edited by Varkwso; 03-09-2009 at 06:04 PM.
    Hidden Content 1983 and 1985 Supra P-Types, 1987 Supra, 1981 Z28, 02 ZO6, 99 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe, 05 GTO, 08 HD Nightster, 99 F250, 97 Suburban, 98 GMC Dually, 95 Bronco, 88 944S, 88 Mustang (CMC), 78 Nova, 73 Chevelle SS, plus a few others

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks for the help and I will be calling today...

Thread Information