7M Oil Pump 5M Oil Pan??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member pimptrizkit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Racetek82 View Post
    So when purchasing a new pump, how do you know if you're getting the larger pump or not? This is if not purchasing from Toyota, but an Aisin pump from Ebay or other supplier. Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWD1V
    that pump in the add description says it's the newer pump.

but you do run a risk... you just dont know.. i would just spend the 100+ on a genuine toyota part, unless this was the cheapest broke budget build you could do.

i do understand how he want's the heart of the motor to be in the best shape aswell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Ok, this post is driving me nuts. You're making a bigger deal out of this than what's necessary.

The 85+ and the 7mgte pumps are nearly identical. The gears (displacement) are EXACTLY the same. Yes, I have a 7mgte pump. Would I do it again, making a custom pickup, no. If anything the 5m pump/pickup are far better. Forexample, the 7mgte has POS 1/2" OD crushbent pickup tubing which looks like a snake. It enters the side of the pump through a tiny hole which I hogged out with a die grinder. Keep in mind it took 4 fawkin hours of cutting, marking, taping, installing the pan just to get the pickup right. The 5m pickup on the other hand, has a shorter and larger diameter pickup which leads right to the bottom of the pump. No question about it, the 85+ 5m pump is better.

However my deal was that I wanted an upgraded & re-spec'd pump, and the only "off the shelf" unit was the one that Aaron w/ Driftmotion provides (as far as I know).
    What exactly, is a upgraded and respec'd pump? Aside from a larger intake tube, the pump cannot be altered w/out making a new housing design and cutting new gears. driftmotion? Never heard of them. They 7mgte Mk2 swap experts?

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    I hate the 5M pump pickup. The design is good, but it shouldn't be aluminum. I shattered one into 5 pieces once (chunk of wood in the middle of the road late at night). I like the steel tube pickup/strainer, as it will bend a little before something breaks. I guess so long as it doesn't bend enough to restrict oil flow, it would be good.

I would think there is a way to strengthen the 5M pump. I would go that route (have a 5M pump upgraded). Then it would be a direct fit, no guesswork.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The the older pump has a flat screen. The newer one dips down a little bit in the middle (sort of a lump).

Quote Originally Posted by WadeT View Post
    Ok, this post is driving me nuts. You're making a bigger deal out of this than what's necessary.

The 85+ and the 7mgte pumps are nearly identical. The gears (displacement) are EXACTLY the same. Yes, I have a 7mgte pump. Would I do it again, making a custom pickup, no. If anything the 5m pump/pickup are far better. Forexample, the 7mgte has POS 1/2" OD crushbent pickup tubing which looks like a snake. It enters the side of the pump through a tiny hole which I hogged out with a die grinder. Keep in mind it took 4 fawkin hours of cutting, marking, taping, installing the pan just to get the pickup right. The 5m pickup on the other hand, has a shorter and larger diameter pickup which leads right to the bottom of the pump. No question about it, the 85+ 5m pump is better.

What exactly, is a upgraded and respec'd pump? Aside from a larger intake tube, the pump cannot be altered w/out making a new housing design and cutting new gears. driftmotion? Never heard of them. They 7mgte Mk2 swap experts?
    The pump that's already been ordered is the 7M-GTE pump just in case you didn't catch it the first time I mentioned it. It has be re-spec'd, meaning the tolerances have been checked and brought as close as possible. The innards that move have been moly coated. Beyond that, other than actually calling Aaron and asking for the number of the guy that actually does the rebuilding I'm not sure. *shrugs* Maybe I should have just bought a 5M pump, however I wanted something that had been went through and checked and double checked before simply installing it. I'm into this engine build for more than what the average CS member paid for their car and that's just the block, internals & machine work, nevermind everything else (cams, turbo, fuel pump, injectors, fpr, ic, ic piping, piggyback ecu).

I just like doing things the hard way. That and like I had mentioned the cost of purchasing a OEM 5M pump, having it rebuilt and tolerances checked, and moly coated and then installing it would put me at about the same place as I am now with simply modifying the rebuilt 7M-GTE pump.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    So I ordered that Ebay pump. The seller stated that it was for a late model 5M...when I got it the box was a Topline, and stated "82-88 5MGE". The pump has a flat screen, and when I pulled the pickup off, it looked just like my 84 pump, not my 85.
    One difference I noticed is that the shaft on the 84 pump protrudes into the pick up plate, while on the 85 pump the shaft is cut flat even with the gear.
    Ray Fong
    RACETEK ENGINEERING
    Hidden Content

Current Car:
    White 1985 P-Type
    Soon to be boosted... =)

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Anybody have a comparison pic of the early and late model 5M pumps, and a 7M pump? What are the actual differences and similarities?
    Ray Fong
    RACETEK ENGINEERING
    Hidden Content

Current Car:
    White 1985 P-Type
    Soon to be boosted... =)

CelicaSupra.com Member Lexusboy's Avatar
    i used an ebay oil pump. got it for 75 bucks.. and it works great...

i was thinking about modifing the 7m-gte pump to fit, however it would have been extremely difficult to get i to clear the rods/crank.
    1986 MKII P-type: 5m/7m hybrid. (Sold)
    1983 P-type: Super-White, terra-cotta. Header/intake/exhaust.
    1983 Mazda rx-7: modded nikki, deleted cat, removed ratsnest.

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member moonpie33's Avatar
    wow why go thru all that trouble an engine is tough oil pumps just dont give up they are freaking strong
    1985 supra 66,000 miles 7mge, to many mods to list
    FOR SALE

Hey guy, sorry to bring this post back up from the dead, but it's kind of what I'm dealing with.

I have 7M that I'm finishing up for a customer, who is putting it into a MK2. He got the front sump 5M pan and the 5M pump and pickup. One thing that is holding up progress is that steel crossover pipe that leads from the pump to the threaded fitting on the other side. If they still exist, does a 5M crossover pipe take care of this problem?

He sold the original 5M motor, so we can't go sniffing around for that. I'd prefer the OEM hardline, but if worse comes to worse, softline and AN it is!

Thread Information