Cressida Wagon 6M - 5 Speed - LSD (Build)
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member droptopsupra's Avatar

Cressida Wagon 6M - 5 Speed - LSD (Build)

I have be working on getting my Cressida Wagon out of the garage so that I can make some progress on the convertible.

I started this post on toyotacressida.net, but I thought that I would dupe it over here so that you guys know that I have still been active.

My MX72 (Cressida Wagon) has been sitting without an engine for over a year now. I was trying to decide if I was going to go with a 7MGTE or not. Well, I have decided to put the 6M Hybrid that I'm building in it instead. I will eventually install a turbo. For the sake of time and money, I might just do the 5 Speed / 6M Hybrid for now.

This is what I started with

The head gasket popped and I pulled the engine and trans. The trans in now in my DD.

Two of the pistons were missing pieces.

While the engine and trans were out, I had a MKI Supra rear end installed. I could have done it myself. It was a straight bolt in.

LSD, 3.73 gears, Custom Length T3 Adjustable Panhard Rod (Wish it was blue )

Now I'm working on this. It is a 7MGE block that has been honed (standard bore) and decked, with new freeze plugs, oil pump drive shaft bearing.

It's was a little rusty:

Cleaned it up with a drill and wire brush attachments, small wire brushes and sand paper. Unfortunately a lot of the dust from the rust settled into the fresh surfaces of the block and cylinder walls. The machine shop said Scotch Brite will clean it up. Tested a small area and it worked great.

Prepped for primer:

I painted over the freeze plugs but I put spare bolts in the holes where the bolts would go. While the block was still wet, the tape and bolts were removed. I let it dry for 7 days. Half way between I heated the block up with a heat gun to cure the primer a bit.

It sits now with a coat of blue:

I heated the paint a block up a bit before adding a second coat. I didn't notice that the color is Ford Blue until today. Duh! That's OK. It's not that bad looking. Besides, it really seams like a waste to paint the block because you can barely see it once everything is installed.

I will attack installing the crank and rods and bearings next. I do not know how to use a micrometer so I will use plastigage to test the clearances.

Balanced, grinded and polished crank, and new bearings

The infamous W9 crank... I mean 6M!!!

Stock (standard 83mm) Late, High Compression 5M Pistons, Stock 7M Rods - Everything all cleaned up. I know I should go with the early 5M Low Compression pistons, but I was initially planning on putting this engine in my DD and keeping in NA. So, I had the High Compression piston cleaned by the machine shop.

Oh yeah... in addition to the plastigage, I need to pick up a piston ring compressor and piston ring pliers... Any suggestions?
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

thats way sick. expecially b/c its a wagon. i think you could rent one from a local auto zone.

Thanks Shift. I didn't think about renting a piston ring compressor. Good idea!

The wagons are pretty rare. This is my third one. When I would drive it people would always say one of the following:

"That's a Toyota?"
    "I didn't know they made Cressida Wagons!"
    "Want to Sell It?"
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member sarinas_dragons's Avatar
    because I can, I hate you
    Kenny

Including my fiance, you're the second person that said that to me today. LOL

Kenny... This is what I was trying to get that shifter from you for.
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member sarinas_dragons's Avatar
    You need it how? Tell me what else I have in common with your gf....I love drunken posting
    Kenny

CelicaSupra.com Member NICK_IN_ABQ's Avatar
    what kind of paint did you use on the bock. that blue is beutiful. i did not know there was a high temp primer

The shifter position on the Cressida is the same as the MKIII Supras.

Well, if you're not much of a cook, that would be two things in common.

If she ever reads this post, I will never another home cooked, microwave meal again! No... she really tries. She a good woman.
    Hidden Content

The color is Duplicolor, Ford Blue DE 1601
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Nice choice of engine color!

Unfortunately it's hard to notice once installed.

Thread Information