5 bolt hub swap for the MKII

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Update

Here is a list of the parts required to do the swap. It's quite easy and fits very well. Other parts can be used, but this is by far the easiest way to go. Only need to do a little machining you can get done anywhere.

The Starion hubs and Crown stubs are 5x114.3 with a center bore of 67.1. The Starion wheels are also 5x114.3 with a center bore of 67.1, the perfect fit. Once the the Starion (or Z31) hubs are mounted with the MPV disc the outside face is 8mm further out than the stock MK2. So the front Starion wheels 16x7 +18 or 16x8 +18 will fit as if they are 16x7 +10 or 16x8 +10 without spacers.

Front

You need the front hubs from a '88-'89 Z31 (5x114.3, center bore 66.1) or '87-'89 Starion (5x114.3, center bore 67.1). Both are floating disc design. The Starions are the best fit.

Purchase and machine the outside edge of the '87-.89 Starion hubs, remove ~1mm. The bearings and seals are the same as the MK2.

Purchase '91-'94 4x4 Mazda MPV discs. 276mmx28mm, 5x114.3. If you use the Starion hub you will need to open up the middle hole ~6mm.

Purchase '90-'96 Infiniti Q45 2 piston front calipers. The whole caliper, mounting bracket too. Rebuild, paint and mount.

Mount 16x7 +18 or 16x8 +18 Starion wheels.

Rear

Join Toymods and purchase rear '83-'85 MS123 Crown stub axles (5x114.3, center bore 67.1) from someone in Australia or New Zealand. Have them shipped Australian Post or New Zealand Post Sea Mail. Slower than Air Mail, but lots cheaper. Also shipping by Post saves on the huge brokerage fees and taxes courier companies such as UPS and Fed Ex charge. Canada Post only charges $5 plus 6% tax.

Install using MK2 rear stub flange, bearings and seals.

Redrill stock MK2 disc to 5x114.3

Mount 16x8 -10 or 16x9 +0 Starion wheels.

The parts are easily available and cheap. The only parts slightly hard to source are the rear '83-'85 MS123 Crown stub axles. You will need to get those from Toymods, they usually pop up for sale now and then.

Find parts here.

'73-'75 MS65 Crown front hubs will also work. They are 5x114.3 with a center bore of 67.1. This will require the MS65 front discs as well to use stock MK2 caliper. The offset for the front will not change from the stock MK2 offset. You will have to find these on Toymods.

The excellent JK BBK can be used once the hats are redrilled to 5 bolt with the MS65 hub and MS123 stub axle. The front kit will clear even the 16x7 +18 Starion wheel.

From the front.

From the rear.

There will be no issues with this kit front or rear no matter which Starion wheel you choose to use.

The Z31 and Starion hub will require a custom hat fabricated, but will give 8-10mm more spoke clearance depending on the design of the hat.

Z32 calipers will work with the MPV disc, but will not clear any of the Starion rims. Depending on which hub you use you will need a 16mm to 25 mm spacer/adapter. So if one chooses to go this route other wheels will need to be sourced with greater spoke clearance.

Crown Victoria 16x7 +6 wheels can be used. They are 5x114.3 and a center bore of 73mm. Jeep and other wheels too. All will have to be tested for various brake setups though

**FRONT**

1989 Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest front hubs (any year Starion with the 5X114.3 bolt pattern) use the same front bearings as our cars. They use a different oil seal though. It is 1mm thicker and the ID is 2mm bigger. So the MKII seal should work fine with the Starion hubs and the MKII spindle.

Here is the Starion setup from the factory service manual.

Here are the factory Starion wheels for that year. 16X7 front and 16X8 rear. Would look perfect on a MKII.

Also 1970 Dodge Chargers use the same bearings, but different oil seal. Don't know the difference in seals, but it should be easy to get one that fits.

Here is a Wilwood setup for the Charger, notice the hub we could use.

All parts still available new from dealers in the US.

**REAR**

1984-1985 Toyota Crown rear stub axles. Use the same bearings and seals as the MKII.

Still available new from Japan.

I have not tried any of this yet. It should work.
    Last edited by rsdeo; 09-15-2009 at 12:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member ma615mgte's Avatar
    nice.... are you going to try??? love to see this outcome!
    Wayne "Turbo" T. Member - Mid-Atlantic SOGI

84 P type (needs 2j real bad)
    87 MKIII turbo/targa/5speed. HKS downpipe, RSR catback, Eibach springs, Tokico Illumina's
    86 GMC Suburban
    Sold 82,88. RIP 82,83,86,86,87.
    Wifes rides 89 Supra n/a stock

Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member canadian_psyko's Avatar
    5 bolt. I was wondering about that for a while. All my parts connections said it was impossible... Hopefully it works

Cam
    Cam

Daily: IS300

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member ma615mgte's Avatar
    now on a side ? what about rotor size and calipers from the mitsu?? bigger?? no need for the bbk?

just me full of ?'s
    Wayne "Turbo" T. Member - Mid-Atlantic SOGI

84 P type (needs 2j real bad)
    87 MKIII turbo/targa/5speed. HKS downpipe, RSR catback, Eibach springs, Tokico Illumina's
    86 GMC Suburban
    Sold 82,88. RIP 82,83,86,86,87.
    Wifes rides 89 Supra n/a stock

Hidden Content

Starion front rotors are right about 11" in diameter and almost an inch thick(?). I work on an 86 a lot. My buddy's got one. Starquest's were available with a 16x8, 16x9 Sport package. 16x9 rears are -10mm offest and the normal 16x8 rears are 0mm iirc. Not
    sure what the fronts are....

I'd have to get the hubs and do some measuring for the right disc setup. Maybe find something that would work with Z32 calipers in the front.

A bearing manufacturer gave me the measuremts for the bearings and seal for the fronts. Telling me the bearings matched and the difference in the seal.

Don't those wheels look like 5 spoke MKII wheels, as apposed to our 4 spoke? Perfect for our cars. Should clear any BBK kit too, with no mounting bolts to worry about.

The rear Crown hubs and disc will work with the stock MKII caliper from what people say.

At least the front hubs are easy to get. I will try to find a rear stub axle that is easy to find in the US and/or Canada.

The Mitsu Starion fronts cant work.

They use hats, which changes the offset slighty ~6mm

The rears are similar, but different enough that it's definitely
    not a retrofit.
    Jim
    MK2 Geek Squad Member
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member supraman's Avatar
    from http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2094

==============================
    I, too, like the look of the Starion/Conquest 16" wheels (from the later models). The info I have on these is the following; wheels sizes in inches, offsets, in parentheses, in mm. They came in two configurations:

16x7 [+18 offset] front
    16x8 [-10] rear

16x8 [ +18 offset ] front
    16x9 [0] rear

Regards,

Jimi B

hmm, this is getting interesting

i think the wheels would look good, and if you can find a mitsu starion to grab for parts, im sure itd be quite doable.

opcorn: *waits for further developments*
    - the Bentley Continental GT...at 1600 rpm it makes more torque than an entire production run of hondas
    - "Drifting...isn't that what homeless people do?"
    - Ah VTEC. All the lag, none of the turbo. It's like waiting for bad sex

Quote Originally Posted by jdk_ii
    The Mitsu Starion fronts cant work.

They use hats, which changes the offset slighty ~6mm

The rears are similar, but different enough that it's definitely
    not a retrofit.
    Thanks for the input Jim, but I don't understand what you mean about ~6mm offset. Unless you mean the wheel offset needed.

The Starion and Dodge setup was just for the fronts.

Maximum Front MKII fitment is 4.5" front spacing and 5" back spacing.

16X7 +18 would be about a 3.3" front spacing and 4.7" back spacing.
    16X8 +18 would be about a 3.8" front spacing and 5.2" back spacing.

I think until a Starion hub is mounted on the MKII front spindle a true measurement can't be made on the wheel offset needed. Neither can the disc offset be calculated. Maybe we may get lucky and with the Z32 caliper and disc setup will fit if the Starion wheel is convex enough to clear the caliper.

Unless someones already tried it.

The Starion rear setup uses a different setup than the MKIIs, more like the MKIII rear. Anyway I don't think the hubs will fit.

I want to try it out. It should be a cool swap if it works.

Would these wheels look good on a MKII?

'87-'89 Starions are selling from $1000 to $2000.

Got to find a rear axle stub that is more local than getting from Japan.

Thread Information