How to clean out your EGR system. (56k beware)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member DRIFTINGmy85's Avatar

How to clean out your EGR system. (56k beware)

Use a thick flat head screwdriver and a hammer. Don't be scared to get rough with this just make sure you hit on the outside rim of the plug with the tip parallel with the rim not perpendicular.

Wedge the throttle open. I think I stuck a screwdriver in the linkage. The little spout facing down from the top is where exhaust gasses come into the intake from the egr valve.

Cut a piece of cardboard so you can stick in into the throttle body in order to catch carbon.

Stick a screwdriver in the hole like this and wiggle it like crazy. You may even need to use a hammer to open a path through in between wiggling.

This is what it should look like after sticking the screwdriver through before wiggling it around.

Carbon will start to fall.

By the end of this process you may have this much or more. It's better to pull out smaller loads than to try to pull out a giant load, like I did, chancing dropping this crud down the intake manifold.

There is a tube that runs down the top of the manifold.
    On the 85 manifold there is a 10mm female allen plug on the back side, facing the firewall & adjacent to the EGR valve, but on the 84 there is only an EGR valve.
    This is the 84 manifold:

This is the 85 manifold. Notice the stud which the EGR bolts to. It is adjacent to the plug and facing the vavle cover not the firewall.

This is the light you can see once you pierce through the clogged carbon. A straw works well to remove the carbon. You have to repeatedly stick the straw in through the back and then blow the carbon out. Eventually you'll get it all.

Removing the EGR valve requires removing two or three small 10 or 12mm nuts and loosening a rather large flange nut which connects the EGR to a S-bent pipe that bends around the rear of the engine. It's WAY easier
    to remove the EGR if you unbolt the back side of the S-bent pipe. To do this you must remove 2 bolts. They're a PITA to get to but it's possible. I had to lay on the engine and put my arms around the exhaust side and through the back of the spark plug valley.

Loosening the Flange nut:

Back behind here and to the left is the picture under this one:

The bolts in the center facing right and the bolts you want to get. I used all my 3/8" extentions with the ratchet over near the EGR to get to these bolts.

My S-bent pipe was very clear of carbon. I didn't need to clean it but getting off the EGR was not happening without pulling it off too.

Once the EGR is off clean out the inside of it. I used a pick to clean it. Take your time so you don't have to take it off again. I made sure all the carbon and gunk was cleaned out of the EGR as best as I could. I also sucked through a vacuum hose to the top port to see if the EGR would work. You can hear it move as you suck and when you release the vacuum it 'pops' back.

Next I removed the lid of the transducer. There is a filter in there. Mine was very black. There are cotton facial cleaning products that work excellent for a filter replacement. If you can get the 2" circular ones those work great. The square ones work just as good. After you're done cleaning the transducer stuff 2 or 3 of them in there and pop the lid back on. I stuck the pick in every hole possible. If you shake the transducer it seems to loosen carbon up and then if you stick the pick into the holes you can further break up the carbon. Repeat this process until carbon doesn't come out any more when you shake it. Stick the pick up the bottom port to get out what you can too. It was full of water and gunk for me.

The bottom port:

These tubes connect the EGR and Transducer. Clean them out

Gently start the plug back into place with a hammer. GENTLY!

Use a socket that matches the diameter of the plug to finish tapping the plug into place. You want about 1mm of the sidewall to show above the plug.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member celica fanatic's Avatar
    Subscribed.
    '82 Supra L, '85 Supra P, '84 Supra P,

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Wow, lots of stuff in there! Always wondered what that plug was for, but didn't think it had anything to do with the EGR.

By the way, 6MGE's never had an EGR system, so not applicable (unless a 5M manifold has been swapped on).
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by celica fanatic View Post
    Subscribed.
    +1 here
    Bad decisions make the BEST stories.

1982 Supra P-type

1982 Specific TSRM's
    Wiring Diagrams Hidden Content
    Emissions Repair Manual Hidden Content
    Air Intake System Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member denvermk2's Avatar
    If you use photobucket maybe use the thumbnail mode so you can click on the picture if you want a larger picture.
    Hidden Content
    Robin
    1985 Silver Supra P |2002 Audi A6 Avant | 2008 Subaru Outback XT
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    1. Your threads are always informative and entertaining! Keep it up! I like how you doggedly pursue a problem,try to get to the bottom of it, and then document. The old hands on the site may find it to be old knowledge, but these are common maintenance problems for those of us less experienced. That looks like the whole IM would have to be pulled to get it cleaned out.

2. I spent the weekend fixing some driveability issues on a minty Canadian-origin, 85 hardtop blackpra I just purchased, and spent a good while trolling older posts on tps, etc., and read your recent thread popped up.

Mine turned out to be a poorly installed timing belt (by the dealer somewhere). Funny how dead spots and hesitation in the powerband are usually attributed to fuel supply and filter, but this one was timing and dizzy 100%. The 1000 rpm idle went down to 750 once the tps was adjusted. Last link missing. I mention this, because egr often came up as a culprit for poor running engines. I wonder what the symptoms of a clogged egr are on a 5mge?

3. On the pics: I was fooling around with microsoft office picture manager the other day (in office tools, right above word and the rest of the suite), and it gives good options for resizing file and pic sizes in jpeg. Also cropping.

CelicaSupra.com Member DRIFTINGmy85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by celica fanatic View Post
    Subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Ripper View Post
    Wow, lots of stuff in there! Always wondered what that plug was for, but didn't think it had anything to do with the EGR.

By the way, 6MGE's never had an EGR system, so not applicable (unless a 5M manifold has been swapped on).
    Good thinking. I forgot about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sowsley View Post
    +1 here

Quote Originally Posted by denvermk2 View Post
    If you use photobucket maybe use the thumbnail mode so you can click on the picture if you want a larger picture.
    I don't know about this function yet. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug82supra View Post
    1. Your threads are always informative and entertaining! Keep it up! I like how you doggedly pursue a problem,try to get to the bottom of it, and then document. The old hands on the site may find it to be old knowledge, but these are common maintenance problems for those of us less experienced. That looks like the whole IM would have to be pulled to get it cleaned out.

2. I spent the weekend fixing some driveability issues on a minty Canadian-origin, 85 hardtop blackpra I just purchased, and spent a good while trolling older posts on tps, etc., and read your recent thread popped up.

Mine turned out to be a poorly installed timing belt (by the dealer somewhere). Funny how dead spots and hesitation in the powerband are usually attributed to fuel supply and filter, but this one was timing and dizzy 100%. The 1000 rpm idle went down to 750 once the tps was adjusted. Last link missing. I mention this, because egr often came up as a culprit for poor running engines. I wonder what the symptoms of a clogged egr are on a 5mge?

3. On the pics: I was fooling around with microsoft office picture manager the other day (in office tools, right above word and the rest of the suite), and it gives good options for resizing file and pic sizes in jpeg. Also cropping.
    Thank you. I try to give back to this amazing site where I myself have learned everything about my Celica-Supra.

It's totally possible to clean out the system without removing the intake manifold. It's kind of a pita getting the exhaust pipe-to-egr off but that's the hardest part.

I think I'm going to have to give a little bio about the EGR system and how drivability issues can arise from malfunction. I'm FINALLY working on this write up so please be patient.

This is the easy part of the system to clean. Pull the manifold and have it cleaned/dipped at a machine shop. Mine was about $40 with the tb and a few other parts.

What do you do to re seat the plug?

Edit, damn that was hella plugged! I'd say this should be a must for everyone.
    Current fun car: Black 86 with 7M-GTE/W58/3.58/TrueTrack, 300whp, 13.5@102.
    Wifeys Car: Burgundy 84 Auto and stock. Previous Daily: Two Tone Brown 84 Cressida: Sold and helped it get a 7M/W58 Swap
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Tire Shredder Hidden Content
    "surprise! this one runs 11s biatch"

CelicaSupra.com Member celica fanatic's Avatar
    I didn't know that much would be hiding in there.. I'm gonna do this soon.
    '82 Supra L, '85 Supra P, '84 Supra P,

My 85 Didn't pass smog because of that. I cleaned that out and it passed.
    84 P type auto *Wife's*Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    82 L type 5 Speed *RIP*Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    93 Ford Explorer 4X4 *Work in Progress*Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thread Information