Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Spark Plugs?

17K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  DreadyDiggs 
#1 ·
I am thinking about putting new spark plugs in my supra. Everything on the ignition is stock except for the wires as far as I know. Any suggestions for the best spark plugs? The spark plugs I was thinking about putting in are the Ngk-Ix-Iridium spark plugs.
Thanks,
Chris

#4 ·
Personally I avoid platinum plugs all together. After 6 years in the automotive field I have seen more platinum plugs foul or fail than any other plug. Bosch is above all the worst but for some reason in engines with over 70k or so on them platinums seem to decrease efficentcy and generally last only a few thousand miles or so. I haven't done any research to back this up this is just personall exp. over hundreds of cars. In both shops I worked in the only way a customer got platinum plugs was if they were specifically requested by said customer. I'm no scientist so I don't know the chemistry behind all the platinum and iridium etc... but I personally know the iridiums work great and you just can not go wrong with a plain old ngk.

#8 ·
24posts.

no dyno results.

:laugh:

iridium plugs are to laugh at.

copper plugs give best spark. easy enough to change. change then every other oil change... be done with it. dont spend $20,000 per spark plug because they last longer than you head gasket well mmmkay?

edit: jap car means jap plugs.

dont care if you are an american fiend, ngk or denso or gtfo. kthx

*tis a wee it drunk*

#9 ·
Uh if you're going to use "stock" plugs....Toyota put platinums in it so use platinums. Most the time they are only a dollar more.

Also if you are burning oil it isn't the plugs fault if it fouls out. It wont even matter because any plug will foul out on ya in those circumstances. Hell I used NGK in my old Trans Am. They lasted alot longer than the stock AC Delco's.

#11 · (Edited)
Uh if you're going to use "stock" plugs....Toyota put platinums in it so use platinums.
That would be incorrect since Toyota did not use platinum spark plugs back in the early 80's (Bosch did not introduce the platinum spark plug until '83 and started mass-production in '84). Every manual/book/research I have seen, toyota calls for the good ol' copper plugs. I have been using the NGK v-powers for years now and have never had any problems. I do remember that the 22re liked to eat platinum plugs though.

#15 ·
What year Supra then? I got those dates directly from the Bosch website. Unless if Toyota somehow got their hands on them before they were available to the public.

#17 ·
Perhap Bosch didn't have them until later, but Toyota used Platinum plugs in my '82. Denso I believe. Toyota used them for longevity, rather than increased performance. However, use of platinum or iridium can increase performance IF this technology is used to permit a 'fine-wire electrode' rather than just a longer lasting standard electrode. A fine wire electrode creates a better spark with less energy than a standard size electrode, so using these plugs with stock ignition is similar to using an upgraded ignition system with copper plugs. Although copper is a superior conductor, it degrades too rapidly to use in a fine-wire design. This is how an inferior conducting metal can provide a performance advantage. I use Denso or NGK fine-wire platinums.

#18 ·
Well I see that the '85 TSRM calls for Plats. Very interesting that Bosch claims they made the first Plat spark plug, when it looks like there were not.

And 15min later I find during some looking, that Denso came out with the Plat tipped SP in '82. And I am finding some interesting info on the Iridium tipped spark plugs....I guess NGK has the IX's that have only a .6mm tip and 5000volt less than a copper spark plug to set it off.

#25 · (Edited)
I want to hear what Malloy has to say...
Malloy, You have a fan.

NGK BPR 5E-P11

Seems like if the TSRM calls for it, Its probably correct.

I have NGK plantinum plugs in my car atm. I should probably replace them some day. They are old.

#24 ·
Can I ask, why do we fight? Why do we use other shit thinking it's gonna have a major impact? I just don't buy the hype.

I honestly don't know why you would NOT use OEM. There's a reason they were chosen.

I myself have not yet changed the plugs on my car yet. I'll have owned it 2 years in June. So yea, same plugs, wires, cap, and rotor that were on the car at 97K are still on it at 117K. I'll tell you what I have in the car now when I yank them out.

The Haynes Manual says NGK BPR 5E-P11

It's a NGK Laser Platinum. NGK's site is also saying this is the OEM plug. Which, unless they got their facts wrong, platinum plugs are what came in my car at least.

A possible explanation on why people get weary of platinum plugs.

Even Denso's page does not list copper plugs for our cars as OEM.

I lie about not knowing why we all choose differently. Giving us choices is all it takes for people to decide what they favor and what they were try to persuade others into favoring haha. Use what you use, I for plugs prefer OEM.

#28 ·
I honestly don't know why you would NOT use OEM. There's a reason they were chosen.
:thumbsup:

Exactly. The engineers and designers of our Supras did a damn good job building these cars. I don't think they would mess up and suggest an inferior spark plug.

Read the owner's manual. Look at the sticker on the fan shroud. You will not go wrong.

Chris
----------
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1987 Toyota MR2 T-Top/5-speed
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT V6/5-speed
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1940 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

#26 ·
For Supras

82 = Copper plugs
83+ = Platinum plugs

The copper, platinum, & iridium from an OEM POV is to improve interval changes. Typically its 15k, 60k, 100K miles for each respectively.

#27 ·
Aight I'm reading right now ironically. This list is from my textbook.

Conductor Rating (Best to Worst)
1. Silver
2. Copper
3. Gold
4. Aluminum
5. Tungsten
6. Zinc
7. Brass (copper and zinc)
8. Platinum
9. Iron
10. Nickel
11. Tin
12. Steel
13. Lead

Okay so platinum is not as good a conductor as copper. HOWEVER, if you swap a copper plug into an 83+ that's designed for platinums, they're saying you'd have to gap it wider than spec to achieve the same power from the plug since the spec gap is for platinum plugs. I'm sure someone will either say they get the same power or even better power, go ahead and say it haha.

Yea the tips, minus Iridium (not on the list I guess) all flow electricity just fine, BUT platinum is harder than copper (AND has a higher melting point) so the plugs should technically be changed every timing belt change instead of every 5th oil change haha.

Have fun :)

#33 · (Edited)
#34 · (Edited)
#35 ·
iridium ftw

#36 ·
Well.. ive got about 250 spark plugs left out of about 400 I got recently. :D Free of course. I had NGK LASER IRIDIUMS in my car that were old, but not badly worn, I replaced them with BOSCHE 4 point Platinum plugs. They worked better than the plugs that were in it, but of course those plugs were used. I threw the plugs in because I had them laying around and out of the 400 plugs were some of the only ones that would fit 6mge.
I personally dont worry much about it on an N/A engine unless its an aircooled VW and I definitely recommend Copper.... and if this was a built turbo motor, id go copper, but hey, what do I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.