Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

stock 5M-GE cam specs and valve spring sizes

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the stock cam specs for a 5M as well as the size of the valve springs? I will be doing a rebuild on my 6M shortly and I might potentially be able to have brand new cams made from blocks of billet aluminum. yes this would be creating cams from stock adn making the blanks and going from there. I"ll see what happens if I can find the stock specs.

#2 ·
Camshafts need to be made from hardened steel, not aluminum. Maybe it was a typo but aluminum is a lousy wear material and too soft for cam duty.

#3 ·
they are also available in steel....I am still working out the details...and I'm probably going to have to send him a couple of cams yet but it's a friend of my roomates up in I think maryland. my roomate builds old pontiac's and this guy has made cams from scratch for him before and I'm talking 9 second cars here. so they must be strong enough.

SilverMk2 said:
Camshafts need to be made from hardened steel, not aluminum. Maybe it was a typo but aluminum is a lousy wear material and too soft for cam duty.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.