Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear wheel bearing replacement?

Has anyone here replaced all four rear bearings and seals? The section of the TSRM that explains this procedure is seven pages long and requires special tools! I plan to do the rear wheel bearings, sway bars, shocks, and springs at the same time in two weeks when my 3.73s show up. If anyone has some tips on this please lay 'em on me!

thanks,
    wt

I'd take the arm off and take it to a machine shop. You need a big ole press to get the axle out. Good time to replace the rear arm bushings while you are there.
    1985 Super Silver Supra 2JZGTE
    2001 Black Sand Pearl Corolla 1ZZFE
    "You can never go fast enough....."

Ditto.

This is a royal pita to do.

Or get a spare set of arms and either use them, or prep them for replacement.

Replacing the rear wheel bearings was one of the first big mechanical undertakings I ever did with a car. I replaced the rear wheel bearings on my 85 Celica GTS shortly after I bought it 11 years ago. The TSRM tells you everything you need to do step-by-step. If followed properly it can be considered somewhat easy, in a sense. The only special tool you'll need is an axle puller. Do the free tool rental from Auto Zone for this one. Attach the axle puller to the lugnut studs, give a few pulls on the handle ram and, bingo, the axle pulls out with ease.

DO NOT attempt what I did. I tried to hammer the axles out from the inside out. One side came out fine, the other side I totally boogered up the threads and was damn lucky that they could be rethreaded with a die and saved. Otherwise I would have needed to buy a new axle.

Also, you will need a socket or some other solid cylindrical object to use as a press when hammering in the new oil seals and bearing races.

If this is your first time set aside atleast a day, maybe the weekend so you can take your time, learn as you go and do it properly.

King of the hill,
    Scott
    '93 MKIV TT-Hardtop, 6spd, black BPU++
    '86 MKII-perpetual restoration
    '83 MKII-6Mmmmmmmmm
    '77 Celica GT Liftback

O.K. like an idiot I'm trying to do this myself.

So far everything came appart ... with a big F@#king hammer and I've even gotten the new races hammered in. The seals will be a piece of cake after doing the bearing races.

What's got me is installing the axel and not having the special tool for pulling the inner and outer hubs together. I realize that both the bearings will be a press fit on the axel and have to be "pressed" down the shaft by the hubs being pulled together with the special tool.

Step 1.c is the bugger.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=RA&P=9

I was hoping there would be enough threads that I could just put on the nut and crank on it but ... nope. I can get 2 threads on ... without a washer ... and I need a washer.

I'm taking home a cooler of dry ice tonight and I'll freeze the axel but I don't think it will be enough to make it slide in without "some" force. (more like a B.F.H.)

Any thoughts? How did you guys do this step?

Also, does it matter how the inner and outer hub are clocked to one another?

Thanks,

Morgan.
    It's morons with big ideas, bigger mouths, and smaller brains than their testicles that I have a problem with.

Having big balls is fine ... but you had better have the gray matter to back it up!

I've done one side, have the parts for the other side, but haven't done it yet because it's such a pita. It's basically like installing a pinion gear with the two conical bearings and the crush collar. I did the one side with an air hammer, a bearing press, a cut off wheel, and some other stuff I don't remember. I want to do the other side....but dang it's a crappy job to do!
    '85 P-Type 1J "The Torqueless Wonder"
    557whp/449wtq@25psi on 93 octane
    Precision 6266SP CEA

Sponsored By

Using an old axle nut, short piece of tubing and 6" of threaded rod I used my welder to make my own SST to pull the axle and new bearings into place. Took all of 20 minutes to make and worked perfect. Getting the axles out was a PIA though. Made a large drift pin to register on the end of the axle without messing up threads and used a large hammer to knock them out. Took a few good whacks but they came right out. Definitely remove the arms from the car to get room to work.

Keith
    current cars
    82 Supra/LS1-V8 powered, original owner, Daily driver
    73 Trans Am restored ground up
    68 Riviera
    49 Chevy Pick-up chopped top LT-1/6spd (under construction)

An air hammer does that nicely
    '85 P-Type 1J "The Torqueless Wonder"
    557whp/449wtq@25psi on 93 octane
    Precision 6266SP CEA

Sponsored By

Sweet! Those are both great ideas.

I'll try the air hammer first, well simply because it's sitting on the floor beside the axel already. I'll cut a 2x4 and brace the inside flange against the frame somewhere so it can't move too far and then the outside flange will get the air hammer.

Failing that ... I could build the threaded rod number. I'll have to go get a spare axel nut but I know where I can get one. Why didn't I think about replacing the inner flange with a piece of tube so a regular nut had room. D'oh! Way to be creative.

Anybody can do a tricky job with the proper tools ... but it takes a special kind of person to it without them.

Thanks guys.
    It's morons with big ideas, bigger mouths, and smaller brains than their testicles that I have a problem with.

Having big balls is fine ... but you had better have the gray matter to back it up!

DO NOT HAMMER ON THE OUTSIDE FLANGE!!!!!!! You stand a good chance of bending it. The joker who removed my 5 stud axles in Australia did that to one of them and knocked the flange out by .010 so I had to get it remachined so the rotor ran staight.

Keith
    current cars
    82 Supra/LS1-V8 powered, original owner, Daily driver
    73 Trans Am restored ground up
    68 Riviera
    49 Chevy Pick-up chopped top LT-1/6spd (under construction)

Thread Information