Jimmy P swaps a 5M-GE into a TE72 - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback! It really helps to keep me motivated!

I got a chance (this last week) to cut the core support out for the new radiator. At first I was hoping to just remove the rounded corners near the sides of the core, but after a test fit I realized I needed to move the radiator down at least another 1/2 inch. So I cut off the top of the lower core support and cut a new piece of steel to fit in its place. The new steel deck will stick out over the old core by two inches. This gives me the ability to position the radiator in a way that best fits the front of the car. For example; I am not ready to make a permanent mount for the radiator, until I know how large the fan and fan shroud will be. This gives me some adjustment room; always a good thing in a project like this.

After the new lip was welded in place, I measured and cut two pieces of 3/16" steel plate and welded them into the exposed end of the cut core support.

Then a good amount of grinding and painting sealed the deal on my new core support.

Now I can test fit my new radiator, with the grill and bumper attached. Speaking of “bumpers”, that's my next step, fabricating some nice bumper brackets. As for the radiator; I purchased it from Summit Racing, it's a universal aluminum racing unit, it just happens to be the smallest one I could find.

Thanks for looking!
    More updates soon!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Bar none the most interesting build I've seen in a while. I feel the need to check in every week and see whats new. Awesome work man!
    -Dustin-
    1985 Celica Supra, 6mgte, 349whp/352tq at 16psi. Build Thread: Here

Well since I'm no longer the only one who's doing this, I suppose I should hurry up and get mine finished. LOL

What have I done since the last up date?

I changed the water pump, timing belt, timing tensioner, and cleaned the alternator and timing covers.

I sanded and painted the custom intake pipe.

I'll have a real update for you guys soon!
    Last edited by Jimmy P; 11-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.

CelicaSupra.com Member '85 supra's Avatar
    Jimmy is that grill and bumper from '80 pick up? If not the are were very similar. While the swaps that have been done are nice.....yours is art. You can't rush art.
    That brake MC will be a tight fit, yes?
    1) 85 P Charcoal
    2) 84 P 2 tone Maroon Wingless
    3) 87 RN50 SWB
    MIKE

Yes, the BMC will be a tight fit, I'll be using one from a mercury mystique, and it will be un-boosted.. Not the way I would really want it, but it's all the space I can afford. Thank you for your nice comment, it means a lot to me!

More updates will soon follow.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Awesome build man. I had a te72 wagon and now have a 5mge 86 corolla!

Wow. How did I miss this thread until now? This is an amazing build. You're doing great work!
    I had a 1981 Corolla hatchback as my winter car when I first got my 83 Supra. It was a great car.
    Any idea of what this car will weigh when it's all done? I'm sure it will be lightweight, just wondering how light.

Car weighed 2220 lbs with out me in it, at the scales, before I started the swap. It will probably weigh around 150 lbs more when it's all done. Should be a fun car to drive!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Wow! I have always dreamed of doing something like this but a lack of facilities, talent and persistence has always stood in my way. As Clint Eastwood said: "a man has to know his limitations." Very nice work, you should have been a mechanical engineer.

Thank you for your support! But I'm not smart enough to be a Mechanical Engineer, you have to be quite good at math for that degree hahahaha!! I'm still working on this car, but my wife's MR2 has been on the lift in the shop since November and the TE72 has had to sit outside in the snow and rain. It's a bummer for me to see it "brushed aside" but I know it'll be back in the shop soon for more progress and a hopeful completion!

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thread Information