weak engine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weak engine

weak engine

on my 85 supra its a little hard to start when cold and the idle is low until it warms up. also it lacks power but the engine runs smooth. any advice would help greatly. and i've already replaced the fuel filter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member 83zed&supra's Avatar
    cold start injector sensor, or replace the cold start injector.
    it can also be the connection on the cold start sensor on the thermostat housing.
    1978 datsun 280z 5speed, 1983 datsun 280zx n/a, 1983 toyota supra p-type, 1983 toyota corolla coupe

..fun

CelicaSupra.com Member one2spooku's Avatar
    Cold start injector is only on for a quick second. I think.
    Garrette 85 P-Type
    Stock...Define Stock

Quote Originally Posted by IDreamOfSupra View Post
    your distributor won't even know you're running boost

Yeah I believe the CSI is only used for a few seconds to saturate the mixture at start-up to compensate for fuel condensing on the cylinder walls when cold. Although it MAY play a roll in your "hard start", too often it is replaced when nothing was wrong with it in the first place.

What kind of mileage are you getting?
    Have you noticed your mileage drop recently?
    Pull codes yet?
    Ignition timing?

I would check for and Intake or Exhaust restriction / leak. (Filter, Intake ducting, Catalytic Converter, Crushed exhaust pipe).

I would check to make sure that the tube for the ISCV is on there and not cracked/broken, and then make sure that the ISCV is working.
    -Chris

1983 Celipra GTS:
    6M bored .50 over. 250cc injectors. Delta 272 regrind cams. Carter HF fuel pump.
    Pacesetter header w/2.5" cutsom exhaust. Open air intake filter. 3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
    4:10 rear from Supra. BillyM shifter kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
    935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. T3 Needle bearing upper perch kit. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. SF Ford TFI Performance coil.
    Almost finished with the fiberglass hatch!

CelicaSupra.com Member jtwhitehead's Avatar
    car should rev to about 2k right at start up if the csi is working properly. and come down slow and smooth till it warms. if it feels like its bogging down then the iscv might be suspect along with a poor flowing csi,(csi doesnt atomize right). need a little more info for a better diag.
    MY BABIES

what is the ISCV?

CelicaSupra.com Member one2spooku's Avatar
    Idle Speed Control Valve????
    Garrette 85 P-Type
    Stock...Define Stock

Quote Originally Posted by IDreamOfSupra View Post
    your distributor won't even know you're running boost

Quote Originally Posted by jtwhitehead View Post
    car should rev to about 2k right at start up if the csi is working properly. and come down slow and smooth till it warms. if it feels like its bogging down then the iscv might be suspect along with a poor flowing csi,(csi doesnt atomize right). need a little more info for a better diag.
    The CSI has nothing to do with the engine revving higher during start (that is what the ISCV does), it just makes sure that there is enough fuel with it is revving up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    what is the ISCV?
    There is a "Search" button on the top right of the forum, you will get very far utilizing that tool. But FYI, it is the Idle Start Control Valve (ISCV).
    -Chris

1983 Celipra GTS:
    6M bored .50 over. 250cc injectors. Delta 272 regrind cams. Carter HF fuel pump.
    Pacesetter header w/2.5" cutsom exhaust. Open air intake filter. 3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
    4:10 rear from Supra. BillyM shifter kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
    935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. T3 Needle bearing upper perch kit. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. SF Ford TFI Performance coil.
    Almost finished with the fiberglass hatch!

thanks.

Thread Information