Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Hks egc help

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  trofimovich 
#1 ·
Okay i was given an egc but i cant figure out how the green and white wire hook up after a few days of searching i came across a thread theat led me to your forum saying that the green wire - Coil output negative, and the white wire - Coil input negative, but im still a little confused can any one thast has, had, or installed one help me with this any info you can give would be nice

#2 ·
*Copied from HKS Electronic Govenor Controller INSTALLATION MANUAL*

"1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

2. Check to see if there is an external resistor located on or near the ignition coil. If one is present, bypass it by placing the jumper wire onto the terminals of the resistor. Disconnect the white plug on the EGC harness, if not already done so. The external resistor must be bypassed in order to supply the ignition coil with an uninterrupted 12 volts DC. Remember, disconnect the 2P bypass plug only if an external resistor was used with the coil. fig 1

3. Determine the polarity (positive or negative) of each terminal on the coil. Most ignition coil are marked with a + or - sign next to each terminal. If uncrtain, reconnect the battery and turn the ignition key to the ON position and place a voltage meter onto one of the terminals to measure the voltage. If 0-3 volts is measured, it is the negative terminal. If 12 volts iis measured, it is the positive terminal.

NOTE: When the above operation is completed, turn the ignition key to the OFF position and disconnect the negative terminal of battery.

4. Before installing the EGC, the primary coil impedence MUST be checked. If the impudence is not within range (0.3 - 1.4 ohms), the original coil must be changed to one within this range. A Toyota coil is recommended, part number 9091x-02113 (*I can't make out the X number on the paper*)

NOTE: Remove all wiring from ignition coil to check coil impedence.

4. Connect the wires on the ECG ignition coil harness to the ignition coil using the insulator plate.

RED wire - To positive terminal of ignition coil. (Retain all stock wires to terminal)

GREEN wire - To negative terminal of ignition coil. (Remove stock wires from the terminal and mount the insulator plate with the green wire)

WHITE wire - To insulator plate. (Connect the stock wires removed from the negative terminal to the insulator plate with the white wire)

BLACK wire - To chassis ground.

NOTE: If the ignition coil does not use studs and nuts, use supplied connectors and covers for harness wiring of the unit.

NOTE: If using an EGC with a HKS Twin Power, a ST-1 harness is required to connect between the Twin Power coil harness to the EGC and Twin Power. THE POWER AMPLIFIER FOR THE EGC WILL NOT BE USED."

Hope that helps.

#4 ·
I dont have the instuctions in electronic format; what I typed above is from a paper copy I got a very long time ago.

From what I remember, and what a rough drawing shows, the connection plate is just what it sounds like; a connection device with attachments on both ends for the wires to attach to. Whether it's made out of some special material I don't know.

Needless to say, if the person you bought the EGC from didnt include something that looks remotely like what I described then it's safe to say you do not have it.

*EDIT*
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the insulator plate is just a device what serves no purpose other than to have a fitting to where you can connect the factory's - wire to the connection of the EGC's white wire neatly. It appears that the white wire just connects to the stock - wire from the factory, and that the green wire connects to the coil's - post. Don't know if that made any sense to you or not. I apologize if it didn't.

#9 ·
Assuming you have this version of the EGC, and not the older one (since the instruction set I have is for the pictured version)...

The INITIAL knob will advance the timing up to 15 degrees over the stock setting or retard the ignition up to 5 degrees.

The GOVERNOR adjustment begins to operate at 2,000rpm and advances the timing, on a steady and straight curve until reaching that setting at 6,000rpm. The governor can be set to advance timing from 0 to 20 degrees.

Not sure what the sd-EGC part you are referring to though...

#11 ·
Ohh, the ampifier....

Adjustment setting on the amplifier should be in the center. At engine normal operating temp, if the LED is off turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise until the LED is brightest. If the LED is on however, turn the adjustment screw clockwise to just before the LED turns off. If the LED does not turn off adjust the screw full clockwise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.