Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

ma67lovers's 7m-gte build **56k Death**

33K views 113 replies 18 participants last post by  ma67 lover 
#1 ·
So short story of my car i bought it when i was 17 painted it for my senior project in high school and i blew the motor a month after i finished painting it :( so I decided to go big power with an NA 5m build haha then i really thought about that and decided 5m wasnt going to go much of anywhere, after deciding that and fully rebuilding it my friend gave me a 7m that was "seized" so I tore that down and started rebuilding that here and when i was doing that i had that motor almost fully rebuilt i had all the machine work done and what not and i spun a bolt on the connecting rod and after i did that i was so furious i went on the internet and bought a 7mgte from badboysupra and put it on my credit card that same night. :thumbsup: that took for ever to get to me so during that i was buying suspension parts like crazy and got most of my suspension done. now its time for pictures!!!
my car when i first got it

car after paint job

you can see the flakes of gold! lol and heres the build for my paint

thats the 7m that i got for free
Clutch was pretty rusted it sat out for quite a while

wiring harness was also chopped on my first 7m and i soldiered over half of it

spent like 300$ in machine work to a motor i still have sittin in my garage to this day :( haha

with arp's

that looked like crap and wasnt cuttin it for me so i cut it!

puke in my mouth

then i screwed up my 7mge and started on my 7mgte, converted it to front sump first

had to plug the old hole so i used a sr20det flywheel bolt with some epoxy haah

then something really random i found out is that 82 and 83 supra's have different plugs for their alternators so i had to buy and convert my plug to a later model which is lame as hell!
82 supra alt plug

83 up plug

decided to put a new timing belt on my 7mgte and found out that the back of the timing gear was sheared off and was just tearing away at the belt

so i had to get a new timing gear to fix that dumb problem so while i was putting all that stuff in i decided to put my fidanze adj cam gears in since my belt was off anyways. i bought them for my 7mge swap because i wanted to cam the hell out of it haha

rrfpr sort mocked up. dont know if the hood is gonna interfere. Any other suggestions of where i would mount it that would look decent?

fuel pump installed with relay kit installed also used a 240sx steering rack bushing to hold the pump in because the stock one was way fatter than the walbro.

reducer for my fuel pump to work

you can see the new wired from the relay kit

not sure where will look good to mount it yet but there is my fuel pump relay kit and i do need to clean it back there bad :p

and oil filter relocation kit installed and ss turbo lines XD

some other things i have done lately was get my valve covers and intake manifold powder coated removed and blocked off the whole egr system with driftmotions egr block off kit, bought a new master and slave cly and installed a ss clutch line also, i bought and installed ss turbo lines, bought and installed a heat shielding intakemanifold gasket. I will post more pictures of this when photobucket gets ready for me to upload all these pictures and more motor shots and what not :zzzzz: im really close to finishing the only things i need to finish right now is to have my wiring converted and for parts to get here that i ordered from 935 motorsports awhile back and my ecu and ic from a fellow member here and that should be here on thursday according to fedex!

See less See more
#2 ·
motor when i first got it on the pallet

heres the egr block off i got from driftmotion

heat shielding intake manifold gasket

before powdercoating manifold

after powdercoated mani

theres a better picture of the ss oil lines for my turbo from driftmotion also

i bought new front balljoints also when i was bored haha

clutchmasters 6 puck

and arp flywheel bolts

i bought addaco sway bars a while back in the group buy and heres a comparison from stock to addaco

so much fatter than stock!

took off the fuel dampener by the motor mount and got a block off plate from drift motion

a little problem with the stock suspension

budget coilover kit compared to stock springs

little bit of rust :/

we ittle bit of anti rust spraypaint

and new wheel bearings in the front. preventative maintenance lol

#3 ·
coming along nicely man. it's good to go through all the old stuff and put on nice fresh new stuff :zzzzz:

#8 ·
ok so i have been looking all over the internet for the last couple days for a picture of a stock 7m intercooler piping and how its routed. does anyone have fairly descriptive pictures of how its routed to help me put mine in. :duh:

#9 ·
So I have been a little lazy when it comes to updating my build so why not throw some extra goodies and pictures in here from what I have been doing :)
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Got my valve covers all powder coated a while back and got new gaskets and grommets for her and also new bolts because the oem screws piss me off!

Also got a screaming deal on an amazing divorced down pipe because the wideband bung was welded in the wrong place for most people but works out just fine for me :)

Bought a freaking huge intercooler and a nice alum radiator with a shroud and 2 electric fans, next is to cleanly (key word cleanly) wire in a relay for this because toggle switches are for noobs

I fixed my broken fuel line that was pouring all over!

I got all new injector seals because prior to first start was just pissing all over the freaking place also!

new oem O2 sensor so computer will be happy at me

A little dusty but a pic of my powercoated valve covers

Sexyness on a shaft! untill i put my other crank pully on this rusty basterd will be on there to help me set timing!

Going up on the lift to put the exhaust on! sorry was trying to take a picture with it on and dropped and broke my camera haha so no installation pictures! but was the last 3in piping kit from raptor racing and i love it!

Bought a new aem wideband and going to install her this week

So right now Im just waiting for a couple other random misc things to top off my supra! bad stuff that has happened lately..... so found out that when i put a bolt back in the rear bracket for the caliper it was the wrong one and was too long and cut a nice slice into my brand new rotor :) yeah was nice to figure that out. This week I hopefully will fab up some mounts for my radiator and route my intercooler piping and throw some tranny fluid in her and take her for the first drive! so here is how she sits right now all sad and alone at my shop :(

and heres an old video just for shits and giggles

parts keep coming and coming and coming

and cats keep attacking!

#12 ·
and eats your feet under the covers, tears every christmas decoration off the wall, climbs the tree. eats village people from the christmas village... and bites your eyelids while trying to sleep? and is literally the spawn of satan? yes it is :rolleyes::32:

he is roughly 3 months old here

he is now 6 months old and alot bigger..

#13 ·
lol if he has developed orange on his face then yes we have the same cat and my cat literally does all the same shit bahahaha!

Update though today bought SS brake lines not sure if I said that but I did last night from raptor racing! got my nipple in the mail for my turbo to actuator. Wednesday I will be working on her a lot more and have a bunch more pictures to post!

#15 ·
Got my SS lines in finally after all the crazy of christmas shipping and all that dumb holiday crap and no I dont have any holiday spirit lol. This weekend should be a productive one because I just got struck by a lightning bolt of motivation! Aka my DD honda just threw a rod out the block so gotta make my supra the DD asap till i can get another pile or something haha. So this weekend I should have some updates with more pictures more parts and all hoping for an IC install and MKIII radiator mount and install and im gonna whore out the hell out of my baby :)

#16 ·
So has been a hectic end of February but March is a new month and is looking a lot more promising. Working two jobs almost 80 hours a week from 830am-11pm is quite a beating on a young buck like myself. At my shop I work at I have been swapping out trannys for all the road construction trucks and it has just been one after another nonstop so no time for my baby :( but all done with those so this week im hoping to get some wrenching done on my own car :). I will update with more pictures and what not asap and look forward to a wiring tuck write up in the near future!

#17 ·
so pretty big update! I got a lot done last night, I mounted and routed all my intercooler and piping, put in all my staineless steel brake lines, put in my mk3 radiator and mounted that, fixed my rear drum brake and hooked everything up! heres a couple pictures for all my boys on CS.com!

heres the tools of my trade for making my radiator mounts and my intercooler

Before I cut it and mounted it completely

5 gallons of redline full synthetic I got for free :)

My friend rick showing some love

heres kinda how she sits before I completely mounted her

Show me some love my supra friends! :)

#18 ·
Last night I bought a bypass valve and a boost gauge for 20$ from a friend and will install that tomorrow morning and then register it and I will be back on the road! She has been down since july 6th 2008 and she is finally ready for her debut! Many more pictures will be coming very soon :)

#19 ·
got her all running and boosting awesome now! heres a couple more pictures of her :)

here you can see the awesome divorced downpipe from my good ole friend at raptor racing :)

oh and dont ask my friend thought it was funny to put a buddy club racing sticker on my manifold haha

Yeah I got in the group buy for the new shorter steering arms and heres what i had to do to get the old ones off haha

#20 ·
new addition to my 7mgte saga, so after me being in the state of denial and finally opening my radiator cap and seeing the lack of antifreeze and realizing the smoking was my HG I finally replaced it this last weekend :) except as always something horrid happened :( so while i was taking everything apart and I was taking out the rear exhaust cam cap the bolt fell down the oil valley in the far back into the oil pan.....Wanna see me freak out there there you go! I was hitting the oilpan with a wrench and dragging it across the pan with a speaker magnet to get it down into the side so i could pull it out with a long pen magnet and finally got it out after some blood and horid words said to my poor baby haha. I didnt get many pictures cause i was being impatient and just wanted it done but did get one atleast. oh and also i found out while i was taking my turbo off that my turbo seals are bad and just dumping oil down my exhaust. it only has front to back play though no side to side so thats nice :) so new turbo seal kit coming soon with more pictures!

#23 ·
No I'm not, I was going to but my rack was leaking and I looked into it and my pressure line into my rack was all stripped out :( so till I find a new rack no power steering. It really isnt that bad because I have the steering arms from the group buy so it does help a lot!

#24 ·
So just took my baby on a 180 mile venture north to a lake house for a little party yesterday and she did awesome! Longest drive I have taken her on since the motor swap and not one issue at all! Well except my turbo is still shit haha. Im going to rebuild it with my next paycheck and I will post pictures of all that fun stuff! More pictures to come soon after editing :)

#25 ·
Havent updated this in a while because of sad panda status :/ I blew my motor a couple months back on my lunch break, threw a rod bearing. It was a used motor so you can only be so mad. I am getting a new block on wednesday (1-2-13) and I will post more of an update then with all my plans and how awesome the 2013 race season is going to be!

#26 ·

Finally got my new block crank and pistons for only $200 from a local friend! I dropped it off at the machine shop to have the crank measured for new bearings, cyl walls honed, mag'ing the block to check for cracks, decking the head mounting surface for mhg, and finally hot tanked to make her all pretty for when I paint it!

probably going to be a couple hundred but totally worth it! I want her to be able to boost hard all summer without blinking an eye. My car I am about to take the head off and drop it off to have the head machined flat too, leak test the valves, and check guide clearance.

After all this she shall be pretty amazing!

#27 ·
Sooooooooo yeah block I bought for 200$ was completely fucked more or less. Thrust bearings fell out and tore hella into the crank and crank would need to be welded. Called the guy back and told him what happened and he felt bad because he said it came out of a running car but he had another block and gave it to me. Had no ridges where the pistons stop and it all seemed good and tight :) Dropped it off at the machine shop again to be inspected, hot tanked, and honed. Hopefully this one does better and can get my whip back on the road soon!

#28 ·

also the first time in 5 years my car doesnt have a garage =( sad day, had about 6" of fresh snow on it today but still had to work on her.

Got alot done today in the snow haha, you can see my huge glass of water in the snow in the first picture too keeping it cold :p but got the turbo off, whole intake manifold, belts, alternator, cam gears, and cams out. The literally last thing to do is take off my head but my arp hardware is a 14mm 12pt and I need a 3/8 drive because the 1/2 drive is too fat to fit in my head. So tomorrow going to by that stinking socket I lost.

Oh and heres my strut bar I bought from the group buy whoop whoop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.