Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

ma67lovers's 7m-gte build **56k Death**

33K views 113 replies 18 participants last post by  ma67 lover 
#1 ·
So short story of my car i bought it when i was 17 painted it for my senior project in high school and i blew the motor a month after i finished painting it :( so I decided to go big power with an NA 5m build haha then i really thought about that and decided 5m wasnt going to go much of anywhere, after deciding that and fully rebuilding it my friend gave me a 7m that was "seized" so I tore that down and started rebuilding that here and when i was doing that i had that motor almost fully rebuilt i had all the machine work done and what not and i spun a bolt on the connecting rod and after i did that i was so furious i went on the internet and bought a 7mgte from badboysupra and put it on my credit card that same night. :thumbsup: that took for ever to get to me so during that i was buying suspension parts like crazy and got most of my suspension done. now its time for pictures!!!
my car when i first got it

car after paint job

you can see the flakes of gold! lol and heres the build for my paint

thats the 7m that i got for free
Clutch was pretty rusted it sat out for quite a while

wiring harness was also chopped on my first 7m and i soldiered over half of it

spent like 300$ in machine work to a motor i still have sittin in my garage to this day :( haha

with arp's

that looked like crap and wasnt cuttin it for me so i cut it!

puke in my mouth

then i screwed up my 7mge and started on my 7mgte, converted it to front sump first

had to plug the old hole so i used a sr20det flywheel bolt with some epoxy haah

then something really random i found out is that 82 and 83 supra's have different plugs for their alternators so i had to buy and convert my plug to a later model which is lame as hell!
82 supra alt plug

83 up plug

decided to put a new timing belt on my 7mgte and found out that the back of the timing gear was sheared off and was just tearing away at the belt

so i had to get a new timing gear to fix that dumb problem so while i was putting all that stuff in i decided to put my fidanze adj cam gears in since my belt was off anyways. i bought them for my 7mge swap because i wanted to cam the hell out of it haha

rrfpr sort mocked up. dont know if the hood is gonna interfere. Any other suggestions of where i would mount it that would look decent?

fuel pump installed with relay kit installed also used a 240sx steering rack bushing to hold the pump in because the stock one was way fatter than the walbro.

reducer for my fuel pump to work

you can see the new wired from the relay kit

not sure where will look good to mount it yet but there is my fuel pump relay kit and i do need to clean it back there bad :p

and oil filter relocation kit installed and ss turbo lines XD

some other things i have done lately was get my valve covers and intake manifold powder coated removed and blocked off the whole egr system with driftmotions egr block off kit, bought a new master and slave cly and installed a ss clutch line also, i bought and installed ss turbo lines, bought and installed a heat shielding intakemanifold gasket. I will post more pictures of this when photobucket gets ready for me to upload all these pictures and more motor shots and what not :zzzzz: im really close to finishing the only things i need to finish right now is to have my wiring converted and for parts to get here that i ordered from 935 motorsports awhile back and my ecu and ic from a fellow member here and that should be here on thursday according to fedex!

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
such a sad day :(

So took my head off today to take to the machine shop to be milled down for my MHG and found this :( Could be from when I overheated my car and might be bad injectors. I am going to send my injectors off to witch hunter performance and check flow and patterns just to ensure they will not run lean at all. It did hit the head just a little bit but mostly in the clench ears so it might be fine. Will post more pictures tomorrow of the head and see what the machine shop says tomorrow!

#30 ·
started doing a full bay clean up on another thread but I will post it here just cause I can :)

Here is a link to the other thread HERE

So have finally started doing work, moving into my new house was quite a pain because we had to clean everything because it was horrid and still had lead paint on the walls lol:eekfacepalm: but progress has started!! Now its photo time!!!:eek4dance:

Well heres what im starting with for my bay. I melted the piston in my first cyl so my other block is being machined at the machine shop currently but kinda to give ya a idea of what im working with.

Heres the reason also im going through my whole harness and replacing plugs and broken wires. Guessing this didnt help my cars ecu read whats going on very well haha. Will be perfect soon!

So I ripped the 7m-gte harness out and started tearing off the purple electrical tape, for some reason I was like woooo colors! Changed my mind about that lol

for sure a lot of work ahead of me!

you can kinda see how much tape I used when I last rapped it haha I think it was about 4 rolls of tape. Looks much bettter black I decided!

I cleaned out my whole car and started digging into this before I went to work so all the update I have today for you guys, more to come very soon though!!

#31 ·
Just more awesomeness on this end! Fixing a lot of stuff that needed some tlc!

broken injector clip I depinned and am going to replace.

cut back into the harness a little bit to get fresh uncorroded wires for my new o2 sensor wiring

its pretty cool though driftmotion.com sells replacement terminals and plugs basically for a whole harness. Making progress slowly but surely! Have a couple projects going too so she has been on the back burner :(

#34 ·
yeah I love the new house! Been doing alot of work on other cars and making some good money on the side!!

helping my buddy with his e30

miata I did a swap in, mk4 I did a ton of work to also.

another shot of the mk4

This is how you put a getrag in, ps that dang thing weights more than I do! (literally)

just finishing up the work to the mk4 :)
So as im sitting right now I just reciecved my driftmotion High pressure\flow oil pump and monday Im picking up my pistons from having arp bolts pressed in and having them re rounded. I will post more probably on wednesday with more updates :) Should hopefully be running in the next month or so!!

#35 ·
Thought I should feel like all the build guys on tv and make a big to do list and start marking stuff off, so yeah haha. It gives you a sense of acomplishment when you X stuff off!

so this is how she's sitting now

Finally got in my driftmotion oil pump and found out that my old pan got whammied pretty bad and hit my old pickup. Went to slap the pan on and it doesn't sit flat.:sadbanana:

Got in my connecting rods finally from having arp rod bolts being pressed in and having the rods re rounded to make sure they are perfect circles after the added torque of the arp's.

Got all my pistsons in after the stupid tedious job of orienting all the piston rings. Looking pretty good though and coming along.

Waiting on my headgasket to get here so thought I would start with my head work. Already all decked and had all the valves vac checked, oh and all new stem seals. Probably should do shims then and make sure all my lash is correct, which it wasnt of course. Need to grab the micrometer and see if i can juggle some of them and make it work without buying too many shims.

Since im waiting on all these parts I started doing some busy work. Started doing my tach mod so I can use the oem tach and no msd converter. Got it all apart but haven't had a minute to go to the radio shack for resistor hunting. I also took out my oem turn signals and have been prepping to put in my Klearz lenses. More to come very soon :) Thanks for following guys!

#38 ·
Yeah was test fitting the lenses to see which one I like better, I really cant decide! Kinda feeling the smoked ones better

So I could juggle around about half of the ones that were out of spec but I needed to buy 8 new ones. Guy working at toyota knows me pretty well from always buying stuff so he hooked it up :) Picking them up tomorrow morning.

Here you can see too how I organized it on paper to help me math this all out. Exhaust is on top and intake is on the bottom and each square has the measured gap in inches, the actual shim thickness, the high and low tollerances, and the bottom number is the desired gap. Was a lot easier to do this rather than trying to it with a hand full of shims haha. For future ref everyone toyota sells them all in MM not IN and they come in .05 mm intervals so you can save yourself some time and work if you just have all that ready when you get there.

Picked up my flywheel from napa today after getting resurfaced, looks awesome and I like how they dont use bits like orilleys does. Quality work for sure!

Now I'm just waiting on my head gasket still and new arp head nuts. Monday im going to a guys house that he has a parts car and im stealing an oil pan and a steering rack with all the lines pump and all that jazz. My rack was leaking before and I pulled out a fitting and the threads decided to come along with it. No bueno but getting all of that and controls arms also for only 100$ so quite the steal!

#39 ·
Little bit of progress, I got a new steering rack from a guy about an hour east of me but had to pull it laying in the snow and a new oil pan. My old pan was a little whammied and wouldnt clear my new pickup haha kinda scary! Excited to finally have power steering again, one of my fittings was stripped out and thats why I had no power steering. Hoping to get my Cometic hg and new arp nuts soon so I can assemble my motor this weekend. Photos will come later

#40 ·
So you are rebuilding a 7MGTE and put a new oil pump in it. What year engine is that oil pump for? If It's the extra volume pump for the 85 5M and 7M, then that 82 oil pan will be too shallow for it. You'll need an 85-newer 5MGE oil pan, or an 89-92 Cressida 7MGE oil pan to fit over that pump.

#41 ·
It is actually a cressida oil pump that Driftmotion modified. I didnt know they changed the length of the pumps on them. I have an 85 pan but it had a pretty dang good dent in her and wouldnt clear the oil pump. I literally was going to test the clearance tomorrow, if that pan doesnt work I guess in the name of my favorite mc it will be hammer time! Thanks for the heads up man.

#42 ·
Yeah test fitted that pan and she didnt fit :/ but I still got that pan, an extra rear spoiler, control arms, and the rack with all the lines for 100$ is not that bad at all! Guess I will pound out my other oil pan and make her work.

#43 · (Edited)
Been doing some work lately, a lot of side projects trying to bring in extra funds! Got my oil pump stainless steel an line in from driftmotion

When my buddy was building his 7m I gave him my arp nuts because he lost his and said he would buy me new ones... never did so I just had to drop some chedda to buy some and also got a cometic head gasket from my good friend at BrewedMotorsports, they can get you practically anything and always down to help people out! Gotta throw some love to the smaller but awesome guys!

Got the head down and all torqued, shes looking pretty dang good!

At this point and time all that is left is for me to pick up my valve shims at Toyota and buy a clutch. I am probably going to go with a ClutchMasters clutch because they are based out of my home town and I have a decent hook up on them :)

I post tons on my instagram too if anyones interested in keeping more up to date with my build or always seeing interesting car photos! My name is William_Macy on my IG, thanks guys!

#44 ·
Got a lot done yesterday and was wayyy too pooped. Slapped most the motor together, helicoiled all the exhast studs with the drift motion kit, bolted the turbo and manifold on, rear crank seal on, oil pan on, and now just need to clean the intake manifold before I put here back on! Pictures now :)

Yeah shes looking sexy :)

Also my rack was all messed up so I tore her out and got it all fixed with spare parts from another rack I got. Finally have power steering with my 7m!! Love the kit that T3 makes for us, you can see those beefy outter tie rods.

#48 ·
Also got a screaming deal on an amazing divorced down pipe because the wideband bung was welded in the wrong place for most people but works out just fine for me :)

Hey, I've just come accross your downpipe and exhaust. I've got Raptor's muffler, but he hasn't made any piping for some time. Is this the DP you have? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra-MK3-7MGTE-3-Turbo-Exhaust-Downpipe-CT26-/251291779172?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a82284064&vxp=mtr? Looks like decent quality, and frankly I couldn't get one built for anywhere near the price. How did it fit up with Raptor's system?

#50 ·
Perfect, thanks for the info. I dug through the site and found George's old group buy for the DP. There are obvious differences between the two, but with the uncertainty of more exhaust products from George, and Aaron closing shop, I might have to go this route and hack it up if it doesn't quite fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#52 ·
How recent did you buy that divorced downpipe from george? I spoke to George about it some months ago & he said they're out of stock & it might be some time before he makes more...

#54 ·
So awesome update time! I mean that sarcastically by the way.... So after having the motor all assembled I put oil in it to prime the motor and it started pouring oil out of the front timing cover on the passanger side. Luckily it was still out of the car but I was still pretty upset.

Found out it was this little allen plug that the machine shop took out. They gave me a hand full of these new and wasnt sure what they were for and the hole seemed like it was just for a bolt but oh was I wrong. Hopefully this helps someone not make this same mistake!

Got it all back together, sealed, and primed with oil. Clutch shows up on tuesday I think so hopefully by this next weekend she should be running!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.