Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

ma67lovers's 7m-gte build **56k Death**

33K views 113 replies 18 participants last post by  ma67 lover 
#1 ·
So short story of my car i bought it when i was 17 painted it for my senior project in high school and i blew the motor a month after i finished painting it :( so I decided to go big power with an NA 5m build haha then i really thought about that and decided 5m wasnt going to go much of anywhere, after deciding that and fully rebuilding it my friend gave me a 7m that was "seized" so I tore that down and started rebuilding that here and when i was doing that i had that motor almost fully rebuilt i had all the machine work done and what not and i spun a bolt on the connecting rod and after i did that i was so furious i went on the internet and bought a 7mgte from badboysupra and put it on my credit card that same night. :thumbsup: that took for ever to get to me so during that i was buying suspension parts like crazy and got most of my suspension done. now its time for pictures!!!
my car when i first got it

car after paint job

you can see the flakes of gold! lol and heres the build for my paint

thats the 7m that i got for free
Clutch was pretty rusted it sat out for quite a while

wiring harness was also chopped on my first 7m and i soldiered over half of it

spent like 300$ in machine work to a motor i still have sittin in my garage to this day :( haha

with arp's

that looked like crap and wasnt cuttin it for me so i cut it!

puke in my mouth

then i screwed up my 7mge and started on my 7mgte, converted it to front sump first

had to plug the old hole so i used a sr20det flywheel bolt with some epoxy haah

then something really random i found out is that 82 and 83 supra's have different plugs for their alternators so i had to buy and convert my plug to a later model which is lame as hell!
82 supra alt plug

83 up plug

decided to put a new timing belt on my 7mgte and found out that the back of the timing gear was sheared off and was just tearing away at the belt

so i had to get a new timing gear to fix that dumb problem so while i was putting all that stuff in i decided to put my fidanze adj cam gears in since my belt was off anyways. i bought them for my 7mge swap because i wanted to cam the hell out of it haha

rrfpr sort mocked up. dont know if the hood is gonna interfere. Any other suggestions of where i would mount it that would look decent?

fuel pump installed with relay kit installed also used a 240sx steering rack bushing to hold the pump in because the stock one was way fatter than the walbro.

reducer for my fuel pump to work

you can see the new wired from the relay kit

not sure where will look good to mount it yet but there is my fuel pump relay kit and i do need to clean it back there bad :p

and oil filter relocation kit installed and ss turbo lines XD

some other things i have done lately was get my valve covers and intake manifold powder coated removed and blocked off the whole egr system with driftmotions egr block off kit, bought a new master and slave cly and installed a ss clutch line also, i bought and installed ss turbo lines, bought and installed a heat shielding intakemanifold gasket. I will post more pictures of this when photobucket gets ready for me to upload all these pictures and more motor shots and what not :zzzzz: im really close to finishing the only things i need to finish right now is to have my wiring converted and for parts to get here that i ordered from 935 motorsports awhile back and my ecu and ic from a fellow member here and that should be here on thursday according to fedex!

See less See more
#58 ·
Thanks man, huge work in progress but going to be super fun to drive!

I had to get one from the dealer when I rebuilt my 5m. It's very easily overlooked. Nice job so far. Would like to see how you wire this thing up.
Yeah all the engine wiring is done but I am redoing pretty much everything else. Hopefully monday I will post some more pictures :)

#59 ·
Been too busy to update because I have been busting ass from sunrise to sunset. Got a lot done though :)

Got my spec stage 3 in from my buddies at brewedmotorsports.com and tossed this guy on her.

Got the motor all the way in the night after I got the clutch in and was up till 4am getting mostly everything done.

The next night I got it started after running a new power wire to my starter from my batter in the rear hatch, draining all the fuel and putting more back in her, resetting my fuel pressure, and double checking all my connections.

My roommate and I raced to see who's car would be finished first and he beat me by one day :( I have to buy him an all inclusive sushi dinner. He did an lm7 swap into his miata with a t56 transmission.

Got the car all timed and made sure I was leaking any fuel oil or coolant. Got up to temp and took her for the first pull. Pulled pretty dang hard but has a tick, think when i was doing the math for my shims at 4am I might have messed up on one. Started leaking a little coolant from the turbo coolant line and pulled over and tightened that one. Did another pull and a bunch of fluid sprayed and luckily I was one block away. Filled it with water to try and find out where it was leaking from and it just started pouring out the turbo side...... GOD DAMN freeze plug popped out! Bought another for 1$ tossed it back in and let it warm up and still is seeping out.

All this frustration I called toyota and they reccommend that I use red loctite and tap that little guy back in and she should be bueno. Im going to try and tap the seating point with a flat head to see if that will just seal it so I dont have to pop it out and try to get a new one back in.

I will post more pictures and what not later, maybe a video next week once I get her registered again.

#62 ·
So I have been doing a little plugging away. Pulled the codes and have three of them; 22 which is water temp sensor signal to ecu, 31 which is AFM signal, and 51 which is switch signal.

22 I just pulled my green coolant temp plug and it crumpled in my hand and one of the pins was already bushed back so it wasnt making contact -_- easy fix at least.

31 I havent checked my afm quite yet for resistance to see if it is within spec because the plug isnt the best either so I thought I would just change it since im buying new plugs anyways so got a new afm plug for a couple dollars.

51 Is the switch signal. It refers to a few things which are ac switch circuit, ac switch, and tps signal. I dont have ac so It is most likely that but I want to make sure my tps is in awesome working condition and within spec.

I hit up driftmotion and bought a new afm plug, ecu coolant temp plug, a new male cps plug for the harness side, and a 200amp circuit breaker for my battery. She should be communicating pretty well after all this. More pictures to come once I get in my parts!

#63 ·
So daily driver broke down so now im driving the supra as a daily. Just got it running decently two days ago but has a random missfire every once in a while. I think its because of my cps so tomorrow I'm getting a new cps, coolant plug, coil pack, and a iacv from a buddy and see if shes golden after that! I have 26 miles on it since I rebuilt the motor but its all going well. have done a couple little spirited pulls with tons of engine decel to set the rings, once it is warmed up fully of course. Runs 1000x better than before! Pictures tomorrow because I have been too busy to upload stuff lately. Keep on wrenching everyone!!!!!

#64 ·
From a local friend I got a new IACV, coolant temp plug, and cps. Really helped with a handful of my running issues and does very well now! I have about 235 miles on the rebuild and she runs pretty darn strong. Really makes me realize how badly my old motor ran. Couple photos now!

So the drift motion upgraded oil pump does pretty well :) oil pressure gets way up there and once I toss on my oil cooler kit it should do awesome all the time. Once it gets fully warmed up it drops a little but thats going to happen.

Here you can kinda see the puddle of oil that was at the bottom of my old cas. The wires were also brittle and the wire wrap was pulled off in the plug and was corroded. Didnt even want to mess with it so just got a new one.

Little car wash and she is back on the road and looking awfully purdy :)

Couple of the local guys just haning out grabbing lunch.

Now on my to do list is:
1. Cut off the rest of my bump stops on my oem control arms
2. Hook up reverse lights
3. Change oil
4. Remeasure cam shims to fix tick
5. Setup e-fans on thermo switch.
6. Make lower radiator mounts
7. Make ss lines for oil cooler
8. Enjoy the shit out of this bitch!

http://instagram.com/p/l-VwMStD8q/

#66 ·
Thanks man, it has been a crazy project and tons of learning has happened with this girl. My next big project this winter is r154 swap that is built and WPC treated, rebuilding my diff, and I'm putting an aem infinity H8 in it as well. :) should be tons of fun for this little 7m!

#67 ·
Build and photo time!

Pulled the motor prepping for the r154 swap. Debating on painting the bay again. Such a pain though -_-

have this girl chilling until someone buys it. came off a 1jz from japan and has a billy m shift kit. she has done me well :)

but yeah full plans for this winter are:

r154 swap with a full DM kit and all the gears and syncro's WPC treated
Rebuild diff with full weir kit and solid pinion spacer
make jumper harness for 7m-AEM infinity H8 and tune her
57 trim ct26 (only because mine leaks and pointless not to upgrade her a little when its so cheap!)
remount rack closer to front of car to reduce tierod angle and provide more steering angle

Should be interesting! stay tuned for updates!

#68 ·
Winter projects have changed of course! Did a few upgrades to the R154, bought a clutch masters fx400, finishing my one piece driveshaft this week, finished rebuilding and wpc treating my diff, made a COP setup, re shimmed my cams, upgraded 57 trim ct 26, and also a FFIM! Photos to come later tonight of course.

#69 ·

Since I had my diff out I decided to have it powder coated haha

oh and my transmission!

Pinion back from wpc treating :)

before and after

also bought a weir max grip lsd kit

tis neat

and a 57 trim ct26

coated back side as well

Did I mention COP?

Finished and installed!

just a few more little things left to finish on her! more updates soon :)

#72 ·
Thanks dudes! Pretty much just doing side projects to get some spare cash then back to the grind! Having a one piece driveshaft made this next week and hopefully she will be back on the road! I still haven't bought new door handles and haven't had them for I think 6 years lol. I can't justify 200$ in new toyota handles when she isn't driving. Updates very soon though and thanks for reading peeps!

#74 ·
Most recent task is finishing the FFIM setup. I decided it was a great idea to try and TIG my IC piping to reduce couplers. I'm awesome at welding steel, not aluminum apparently....

So until my aluminum TIG skills increase I might be stagnant for a little while. Practice makes perfect though!

#75 ·
Well finished my car and she runs like a top!! Everything from the winter/spring build went awesome!

STORY TIME.

Bought a handful of new tires for this big drift event that was on 4th of July weekend. Realized I forgot to put in my "front bearing retainer seal" (the toyota name) on my transmission so I had to pull it out the night before I left for a 3 hour drive to Spokane. Pulled it out, put the seal in, slapped her all back in, topped off the redline mt90 and went to bed. I had to work at 7am so after I was off work at 3pm I started the trek. I drove as far as Wallace Idaho before I heard a terrifying noise! A squeal from hell! I was cruising in 5th and off throttle it sounded fine, on throttle it was terrible. So I caught up to my friends and made them pull over. When I went to slow down and hit 4th everything was gone, hit third and gone. Anger of course sets in! Hit 5th and it drives fine..... humm.... pull off and stop and 1st, 2nd, 5th, and reverse work. So loaded it onto my buddy trailer and dropped it off at a buddies house. Weekend was done. So I partied hard!! lol

I had a dream about pulling my transmission apart and found a bolt to my 3/4 shift fork in the bottom stuck to the magnet. Got off work the other day and tore her apart and found some neat stuff!!

Inspected all the teeth and they look fine! Took it to the machine shop I utilize and had it all chemically washed to try and get all the metal shavings out of her and try to make her a little happier. Tonight I'm tossing the seal back in and filling her up for boost time! Bolt is $2 and seal is $12 from toyota. Could have been a lot worse!

Just toyota shit ya know?

#76 ·
Well installed her and wouldn't shift and lost interest for a week or so. Finally got motivation, yeah!

Yesterday I pull out my diff, one piece drive shaft, transmission, ect. Once I pulled all that out I noticed my rear crank seal was leaking, pulled it and realized I somehow used a longer bolt and it cracked my rear crank seal housing. Slapped a new one in and resealed it and should be good now! I also pulled apart my trans and found out the reverse shift fork was popping into gear for some reason. There is a little spring on the rear half of the trans that is suppose to push the shift fork down and it kept binding and wouldn't shift because of this spring. I pulled it, rtv, assembled and put it in. All seems to be good now and drove it to work today. Was a huge project for one day but shes bueno and boosting! Fun times again!!!!

#77 ·
Well it runs great! haha

But more problems arose of course! Had a massive leak that I fixed last night in the oil pan. I also blew my diff :( brand new bearings and WPC treated ring and pinion down the drain. Having it rebuilt again now and try one more time haha. Motivation to upgrade more though!

Little TIG action on the sub frame to get those camber mod brackets in! Not the best but she will hold!

making sure everything fits after welding her up!

I dont have a press so I made it work lol

Super excited for poly urethane bushings though!!
That is all for now until I get my sub frame back from powder coating and diff back from the local shop!

#78 ·
Received some more fun stuff in the mail!!

Was super excited to get these in the mail and be able to adjust so much more stuff!

The angle kit from T3 is still pretty nifty!

But this oem control arm and tension rod had to go!

I also got my subframe back!
Installed that yesterday and according to my IPhone app its +2 camber in the rear now, so excited to get rid of all that camber. More photos to come later of the kit installed and what not :)

#82 ·
Are you planning on running the stock CPS with the infinity? Pretty sure its not supported by AEM on the Infinity yet. The Infinity is also very particular about the cam and crank sensors. I had to replace all off mine with new one and tweak the setting to get it to work properly.

#83 ·
I haven't dug that deep and my friend who is my aem guru knows more about that specifically. If it doesn't work, which I have "heard" the same, I will retro a 2jz crank trigger wheel mostly likely. I have a couple laying around. I will post updates for sure once I get that all going. Trying to finish other projects to make garage space right now!

#84 ·
Your best bet is to use an ATI pulley with one of the standard pickups they sell. That way you can avoid the stock vr sensors. You still have to figure out something for the cam still. There is basically zero adjustment for the crank and cam sensors in the infinity. I wish I had the one you have. I have the 8 with the two connectors. Most of it isn't being used.

#85 ·
I am still on the line whether to get the ATI or not. Shes a spendy set for sure! In the meantime I'm converting my car to drive by wire, putting 1000cc injectors in, and doing a wire tuck for the engine harness. Lol I wish I didn't get bored so much!

#86 ·
YAY update time!

I did a new coil pack setup with S2000 coil packs. They turned out pretty rad and have a nice little 8 pin Deutsch connector to make removal easy! A little dirty at the moment but will be much better here soon! Cool part is that they have internal igniters and you dont have to have the ugly ass oem igniter! Way more clean of a setup :)

Also redid my whole engine harness. Installed 1000CC ID injectors, AEM IAT, AEM MAP, AEM boost solenoid, Fuel pressure sensor, and oil pressure sensor.

Everything all hooked up it looks pretty nice :)

Pretty happy with how it turned out!

Only thing thats left and in transit is my fuel pump fittings, boost solenoid, and new throttle body plug! Couple more last minute reveals coming soon :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.