Don's 1JZ Autox Project - Page 18

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CLToy View Post
    Love these updates! I have a harness bar laying around waiting on an install as well. I sure hope it is not short like yours! Oh well, I guess I will find out. Moving to a harness bar belts and ditching the OEM seat belts too I would imagine?
    I have a harness belt set, but not decided if I want to use it vs. the stocks. Sometimes I feel I am hunching a bit forward while driving, and the harness probably would inhibit that whereas the stockers allow me to lean forward.

If the total weight of the harness is less than the stock belts, maybe.

Really, just wanted a better camera mount location than my previous shower rod design.

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don L. View Post
    Reading some of the 240z forums and the experiences they have with the GTX2 arms (interesting), there was mention by T3 that RCA were still needed, and that the adjustable arms do not provide roll center adjustment. I like having all the spacers to play with, figure they can only help, but the RCA is what really helps bump steer. I realize I need more than 30mm, maybe later will work on adding more.
    Oh for sure, I wasn't impling use the ball joint spacers alone to fix your RC, but perhaps in combination with your existing RCAs you might be closish. I need 2.6 inchs worth to fix mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Don L. View Post
    Your car seems to turn quite well, so probably no concerns of LCA binding with compression. Just doesn't make sense to me how the caster rod can pull the LCA to get more caster, and not have (at larger caster settings) some degree of binding. I will start with 6 degrees caster, then try 7 degrees, see if it feels better.
    I'm sure there's some degree, but nothing that I've felt on track. 6deg isn't that intense.

About the harness bar, did you install it with the car jacked up by chance, or was it sitting on its wheels?
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I'd like to experiment with more than 6 deg caster, but besides moving the tire farther forward in the wheel well (and hitting wheel well on turning), the outer tie rods will end up angled toward the front of the car, rather than straight out to each side.

Another benefit of running 15 inch tires, less interference with the wheel wells on turning. My 285/18 are pretty wide, and get pretty close to the front wheel well/flare on turn. Have some thoughts on 315mm in front, that might be a challenge.

I hope the bump steer is ok, might be able to test a little this weekend.

Installed the harness bar with the car chassis on ground.

Don

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Been having occasional lean idle, usually when the engine is very hot, very often in between autox runs. AFR jumps up to around 16-17, usually comes down with time. Played with my SDS standalone settings, no improvement. I went to larger injectors (from 680cc to 1000cc) since I felt my E85 tune was maxing out the injectors anyway. No improvement after injectors. Started reading about fuel pulsation dampers, and since most cars have them stock, and aftermarket fuel rails and fuel pressure regulators don't seem to use dampers, I wondered what really was the benefit? Well, I was hearing fairly load knocking noises from the cabin area, could have been the fuel pulsing. Decided to try this aftermarket damper by Radium. A well known company, use -6AN fittings to install it between the fuel rail and pressure regulator.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pulse...Kits-P759.aspx

This item shouldn't hurt anything, and I really hope it helps my lean condition. Will start the car this week after plugging a vacuum port with a 1/8 NPT plug. Thank goodness for Summit Racing!

Don

Are you using a fuel pressure sensor?

Any logs?

What gauge wiring and relays are you using?
    Last edited by racerxj220; 04-16-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    Built 1JZ-GTE, PTE 6466, PGS Dog Box R-154, Pro-EFI 128, Nitrous, Flex Fuel, Headgames "R" cylinder head, SPF1 manifold, Hypertune, so much more...
    1983 Supra
    Jeffrey Rainwater

Quote Originally Posted by racerxj220 View Post
    Are you using a fuel pressure sensor?

Any logs?

What gauge wiring and relays are you using?
    Hello, no logs for fuel pressure don't have that capability. Have electronic fuel pressure gauge in dash and it seems stable at 45 psi during idle. I've thought maybe my Aeromotive AFPR might be getting old but AFR and fuel pressures under load are good. I think this is an issue that only started after I went over to E85. Wondered if overheated fuel in the top mount fuel rail could cause this. Just guessing. Couldn't find much info on hot fuel causing a lean condition, so really grasping at random thoughts. There are such things as fuel coolers, thought about them. Wiring gauge for fuel pump power is 14 gauge, relays are whatever, the wiring to injectors is harness made by SDS.
    This never happens after the engine just warms up, but after an extended running time where the engine compartment has a chance to get good and hot. Engine temps internally are stable and steady.

Don

This internet thing and Google is overloading me with thoughts! Lots of reports of somewhat similar lean idle conditions under heat soak or high engine compartment temps. Possible for the IAT sensor or even the injectors (depending on in metal or plastic bodied) to be heat soaked and throwing off the standalone settings. I don't have a MS system, my SDS system doesn't allow me to adjust fuel settings for air intake temps (more of a preset scale).
    Something else for me to check into, as I might try relocating my IAT sensor which currently is threaded into the side of my throttle body inlet. Maybe move it closer to the outlet of my IC, off the engine. Read some cases where owners of some cars moved the IAT totally out of the inlet air stream to the intake, instead placing it in front of the radiator. I'll play around with this possibility, pull out my heat gun, try to cause some similar conditions to multiple autox runs on a hot day, idling around grid between runs, the extreme situation for engine compartment heat levels.

This stuff never ends.

Don

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Sounds like heatsoak to me. Which is something even stock 5ms suffer from. I've had great success in several of my cars by tossing the stock hood blanket and then adding hood vents. Every car should have hood vents imo.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I wish we could get a look at the fuel pressure throughout a pull.

As far as IAT, does the input value change after spirited driving and a normal warm up?

My IAT is about 8 inches in front of the throttle body, for the heat soak reason you've stated. Many great tuners have recommended it away from the intake manifold.

I know that my AFR readings are good for an autox lap, no major lean conditions showing up. Seems only an idle, throttle tip in issue, like moving car around the driveway. Again, only when engine is fully heated up. Probably going to try a AIT in the intercooler piping between the IC and TB.

Thread Information