Don's 1JZ Autox Project - Page 2

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muchbzy View Post
    Don, your car is one of the most intense cars on here and now, well, damn, what can I say. Looks like an awesome build can't wait for the next installment. Question, what do say to those that say the 2J makes more torque than a 1J? Wouldn't it be better for autoXing? The 1J revs for sure and I am just curious.
    I'd say to them they are absolutely right! Remember, this is a autox specific car, being built for the Street Mod class. A 2.5 liter turbo motor has a lower minum wt in class than a 3.0 liter. Weight is everything to me. You can only make use of so much power. The 2jzgte is a great motor, but taller and heavier. I like the lower center of gravity of the 1jz, and a useable powerband of 3000 to 8000 rpm will suit my gearing perfectly. Car should hit the 2580 lb min wt of the class.

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by williamb82 View Post
    why did he use one for a honda instead of a 2jz? id think the 2jzgte model would be easier to adapt.
    I have no clue. Maybe the honda units are cheaper and easy to adapt? Despite all the physical mods/fabrication to adapt this motor, I still believe the electronics will be my biggest challenge

Don L.

AAHHhhhh sounds good to me, like I said can't wait to see as this build progresses.

Good luck!
    Charles "Cee-Jay" Hughes
    Silver 86 w/6M-GTE
    Silver 99 TRD Solara S/C Long Beach Ed.
    Black 88 4Runner V6

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Sam_Smiles's Avatar
    Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I love the mods you've done to the exhaust manifold already. Way to think ahead and spot the weaknesses of these "upside down" designs. The torque flex of the engine, with the weight of the turbo makes for a pretty good moment flex of those pipe welds. Those flange supports are a genius way to provide some good rigidity. Basically turns your exhaust system into the engine torque dampener. Might want to consider an additional bolt on unit anyway, to subdue any excessive topside movement.. Something I've been wanting to do myself.

The single turbo upgrade is still pretty far down my list. No dout, I'll be watching your progress and taking notes.

I guess I'm going to have to step up my game a bit for a Packwood meet next year.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Don L,

Out of curiosity, what electronic adaptation are you concerned about? Using the SDS, I used whichever sensors/switches I chose to use! The only thing I have left over from the original electronics is the Knock sensor...

As for turbo timers, extra injectors, boost controllers, etc, the SDS takes care of all that from what I understand... Although I am using the GM Coil Packs, I suspect the Toyota COP units would not be compatible... At any rate, I was just curious!

Regards,

Carlos

Sam: I definitely wanted to do something to strengthen the exhaust manifold. The ebay manifolds work, but certainly some reports of cracking, so do what I can. Don't intend for my exhaust manifold to act as a torque dampener, actually looking to have a downpipe with a flex coupler installed. I will have to check into additional torque suppression devices too, space permitting! With your mad fab skills, I have no doubt you will come up with some great stuff. I'm just a hack with a little welder and angle grinder

Carlos: I'm guilty of taking the "easy" approach with the standalone for the 1jz. At least hoping it is easy. The SDS could work, but I was captivated with the allure of plug in adapter harness, use of stock harness and factory sensors. I received the stock ecu for the 1jz, and that probably would be most simple, but with my plans for E85, bigger turbo, higher rpms, it seemed the AEM had more features, if works as claimed. The 5mge was pretty easy to wire up the SDS, the 1jz seems to have more complexity, but I suppose once I remove the unneccesary stuff, its pretty basic too. Still, I have a tuner source that likely will be dyno tuning the car once it comes alive. He would be comfortable with the AEM of course. I will be anxious to read more of other SDS installs, and yours in particular. You've been a great info resource!

Don L.

a few updates to the thread. my plan to to keep adding on to the bottom of the original post, keeping it all in one posting. Will note when updates occur

Thanks for looking, and hopefully this will help keep my thoughts and info orderly!

Don L.

Don I'd recommend you return the Fluidampr and go with the ATI pulley instead. Its much smaller than stock and will let you keep the motor lower in the chassis. The larger diameter portion of the stock pulley lines up with the Mk2 sway bar.

Hi Aaron, so you are saying the stock 1jz pulley interferes with the stock Mk2 sway bar? Is this a 2jzgte concern? I have a custom front sway bar with a bend in the middle anyway, not too concerned about interference compared to a stock 1jz, but of course haven't dropped the motor in yet for a test fit. I have read good things on the ATI unit too, smaller diameter. Not sure on the weight. Didn't like that the Fluidampr was slightly heavier than the stocker, but if it protects the motor better, I was willing to compromise. Thanks for the info!

Don L.

Both JZ pullies are the same IIRC. My car has the Addco, but with the ATI I was able to get the bottom of the oil pan flush with the bottom of the crossmember and fit the LJM bar across. To get it like that with a 2JZ the pulley section with the belt is right over the sway bar. The 1JZ is a little more forgiving since its about an inch shorter you could angle the engine up, but I sure you'd rather keep the CG down.

Thread Information