Don's 1JZ Autox Project - Page 3

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Yup, COG is important to me. Actually, with the R154 about 40 lbs heavier than my W58 I hate the wt gain, but at least it is low and more toward the middle. I'm using the Driftmotion motor brackets and mounts, so probably not much room for me to adjust ht of the motor. Sure, can get a bit, but prob not much. Gotta make sure motor, tranny, driveshaft (one piece alum) is oriented well. Don't want weird vibrations. I know about the LJM bar issue with 2jz motors, expecting no issues with the 1jz. Should be interesting once we can test fit!

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Well you might be suprised Don. Sucks that the r154s are so much heavier for sure (part of it is the clutch and flywheel setup) but the actual motor itself is quite a bit lighter then the old 5m. Hard to say how it will balance out with a turbo hanging off the side, but you might not be picking up as much weight as think. You may even come out almost the same with more of it towards the center of the car. 5m cam towers, valvetrain and valve covers are heavy!
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I'd recommend using the W58. You're going to be well within the limits of the W58. They do shift so much better than the R154s. It would save you a lot of dinero as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Haha! It's adios' dinero already

Seamus: Hoping you are right. My thoughts too. I have some pretty consistant weights and corner balancing numbers for the Supra with the 5m, so once I get the 1jz installed I'm hoping for a more "balanced" and possibly lighter car. The 1jz just "looks" lighter in weight than the 5m, but the literature is conflicting so I'll just wait for my own measurements. Some of the stock 1jz stuff will be coming off, saving a little weight, the twin turbos vs the single turbo....not sure if a weight savings but I'm guessing yes. The driveshaft will be my biggee weight savings, since I can't find a CF hood

Aaron: I love my W58, in great shape, did well for me. If I were just running street tires, I wouldn't be so worried about a W58 holding up to my hopeful goals of 400+ hp, and 400+ torque. Those autocross Hoosiers are pretty sticky, and I'm going 18" wheels next year. The rears will be minimum 285/30-18, and possibly 305mm if needed. Not much slippage, lots of stress on the drivetrain. I plan on making a few PnP runs and getting spare rear half axles/flanges. I have a new rear diff set to go, and more lockup there too. No, the W58 had to go. I don't want any more breakdowns at race events!

I miss the good ole dependable Supra, hope this build gets that back for me.

Don

CelicaSupra.com Member Supra Ev's Avatar
    285s on 18s? Fender rolling I'm assuming?

I think you'll be rub a dub dubbin' if don't roll them, especially with the hard corners

Can't wait to see this thing go! Congrats Don!

Way past fender rolling. I expect cutting of the metal fenders and adapting the fiberglass flares or making new ones. Gotta have some kinda flares when done. I think the rears might not be too bad, the fronts will be the challenge. Will work on the wheel fitment after the engine runs. Already have 18x10s so the commitment is there, but until engine is fully tuned, I'll run on 14s and 15s.

Don

CelicaSupra.com Member Daves2JZGTE's Avatar
    When you get to the placing the motor in the car point if you have any motor mount problems hit me up I can make you a set quick.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    as for flares, iirc the guys at hybridz.org did a group buy to get the zg flares reproduced. i wonder if they would flow with the car or not in the rear?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1806700...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

btw, thats the car that made up my mind 100% on getting my rb's for the 84.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Thanks Dave! Good to know!

Don

Thread Information