Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

82 5MGE Vacuum Line Diagrams "Coloring Book"

25K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  minchewtodd 
#1 ·
I made up these diagrams a few years back by expanding the pdf pictures in the 82 Emissions Repair Manual (located in Sowsley's sig) and tracing the various lines with colored pens to more easily figure out where everything goes (not 100% consistent with colors between diagrams).

The hard-line manifold under the intake is the same for both manual and automatic transmission cars, but not all lines are used on the automatic (so there will be some tubes with nothing connected to them).

Component Layout (page 3-3):

EGR System (pg 3-16):

Spark Control System (page 3-11):

Blowup of the vacuum manifold:

Figured I'd post this since there has been some recent discussion on the 82 vacuum lines.

See less See more
#3 ·
Rich you never cease to amaze me! Why they aren't done like this in the first place is beyond me. Well I am sure costs are a factor, but still. I bet after doing that you don't even need the diagrams anymore, lol. Thank you for taking the time to do this and share it! I don't have an 82, but I am saving these regardless.

#5 ·
Very cool. What else do you have hidden away in that basement of yours?

#7 ·
@Sowsley - couldn't have done it without your original posting

@Prplehze - "I bet after doing that you don't even need the diagrams anymore" Not even close. I still don't understand half of the 82 engine controls (I do electronics better than vacuum). The lines for the Manual Transmission (M/T) are still a question.

@ Carfreek This has been "hidden" in the binder (the green stripes at the edges are the binder, LOL) that I frequently take to Supra Meets, and have shared many times (nowhere as huge as The Professor's (CJSREDPRA - Chris Eng) plastic file bin of info we all miss - I have a binder, he has a bin). You are indirectly responsible for it, back from the last Portland Meet (a few months after I got the 82 in 08) and we were camping on your dad's acreage in 90-100F weather (until the thunderstorm dropped everything 20F). I and Dodgeboy were comparing vacuum line connections and we found I had hardlines that were open to atmosphere and realized I had lots of learning to do on the unique 82 vacuum lines from hell. (cough, turns out I didn't have a vacuum leak that I feared)

About that time Sowsley made available (see his sig above) pdf's of the 82 manuals (multiple manuals for the 82 for those not familiar, no one TSRM). I looked at the diagrams and still couldn't make sense of it, so I traced everything out (and who would think to look in the Emissions Repair Manual for the engine controls? I stumbled on it - though the 82 owners did have some discussion then about it). I've been sitting on this for awhile.

As for the basement, it has my wine collection (inventory in progress this week), plus a 1962 Drexel (Heritage) dining room and bedroom set that I'd like to get rid of. But in the binder (OK, paper basement)?
- AJ's hosting of the Cruthfield stereo wiring diagram (AOL URL not found)
- DaveA's instructions on repairing the gas tank sensor (on this forum)
- DangerousKen's hosted 82 Maintenance Procedures (for all Toyotas, also good info for 83-5) (URL not found - this would be a good one to get hosted again)

[I also have a binder of lots of Craigslist and eBay ads, low mileage]

As for junk idle, I have issues on occasion too on the 82 when the engine is warm, no idea why. Drove it yesterday for its monthly outing and had issues.

#23 ·
Here's a thread from Rich64N on vacuum line colors for '82s (this is GOLD for 82 owners)

@Sowsley - couldn't have done it without your original posting

@Prplehze - "I bet after doing that you don't even need the diagrams anymore" Not even close. I still don't understand half of the 82 engine controls (I do electronics better than vacuum). The lines for the Manual Transmission (M/T) are still a question.

@ Carfreek This has been "hidden" in the binder (the green stripes at the edges are the binder, LOL) that I frequently take to Supra Meets, and have shared many times (nowhere as huge as The Professor's (CJSREDPRA - Chris Eng) plastic file bin of info we all miss - I have a binder, he has a bin). You are indirectly responsible for it, back from the last Portland Meet (a few months after I got the 82 in 08) and we were camping on your dad's acreage in 90-100F weather (until the thunderstorm dropped everything 20F). I and Dodgeboy were comparing vacuum line connections and we found I had hardlines that were open to atmosphere and realized I had lots of learning to do on the unique 82 vacuum lines from hell. (cough, turns out I didn't have a vacuum leak that I feared)

About that time Sowsley made available (see his sig above) pdf's of the 82 manuals (multiple manuals for the 82 for those not familiar, no one TSRM). I looked at the diagrams and still couldn't make sense of it, so I traced everything out (and who would think to look in the Emissions Repair Manual for the engine controls? I stumbled on it - though the 82 owners did have some discussion then about it). I've been sitting on this for awhile.

As for the basement, it has my wine collection (inventory in progress this week), plus a 1962 Drexel (Heritage) dining room and bedroom set that I'd like to get rid of. But in the binder (OK, paper basement)?

- AJ's hosting of the Cruthfield stereo wiring diagram (AOL URL not found)
- DaveA's instructions on repairing the gas tank sensor (on this forum)
- DangerousKen's hosted 82 Maintenance Procedures (for all Toyotas, also good info for 83-5) (URL not found - this would be a good one to get hosted again)

[I also have a binder of lots of Craigslist and eBay ads, low mileage]

As for junk idle, I have issues on occasion too on the 82 when the engine is warm, no idea why. Drove it yesterday for its monthly outing and had issues.

#8 ·
Oh my. I am like the Kevin Bacon of NW MKIIs, Ever play the six degrees of Bacon game?

#12 ·
First off let me just say this thread was a life saver. I just bought an 82 celica supra with a blown headgasket, it already had the head pulled so i had to put it all back together having never touched one of theses motors before. I do have a question though, in the online repair manual and your diagram it talks about the vtv for dash pot, well the only thing i can find that looks remotely close to it is a vacuum module that has 2 lines coming from it. Is that what it's talking about? If it is then i also must ask why i have one open port from the little spring thing on top of the intake that i assume is for cruise control because i've only ever seen it on the 2 cruise control toyota's that i've ever had.

#13 ·
I'm not home at the moment (so no access to my 82), but looking at the pic I don't understand the "VTV for Dash pot" either. I do not remember seeing anything in that area, certainly nothing coming off the idle adjust screw (82 unique), nor anything in that area. It could be there, but I don't remember anything there.

#15 ·
I've got an 83'. It's auto and I think it's a p type (going by fibreglass over the wheels, though it has a digital dash)
There's two vacuum hoses left unconnected and blocked with a screw. The mechanic thinks the low-rev vacuum is not working properly due to the hoses not being connected. It seems to idle fine apart from the exhaust smelling very rich. Any ideas?

#16 ·
This is the wrong thread for your question, as these diagrams only apply to the 1982 5MGE (in North America).

If your 83 has the 5MGE (and not 5ME single overhead cam) then page EC-3 has your diagram.

#19 ·
And I don't. I spent many hours creating this as a reference for how things should be. You want to "delete" ("the delete" what? assuming vacuum lines. EGR delete? Cruise control delete?) then install an 83-6 ECU, distributor, engine wiring harness and intake. Meanwhile this post is here for folks that have an 82 and need to figure out the unique vacuum lines.

Yes, I'm being grumpy. But if someone does it for EGR delete, please post it in a new thread.

#24 ·
Rich still GOLDEN!!

For you 82 owners make a binder and print this to put in it!!

#27 ·
RICH this bump is for you!!