[CLOSED] New run of aluminum rads for MKII, Celica GT/GTS, and - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    CelicaSupra.com Member Marblehead's Avatar
    Damn, that would have been some great info to know before the initial install of the Griffin years ago. Mine began leaking at several locations along the joint line between the tank and the core where they used some form of sealent/epoxy. From talking with others at various Supra meets, MANY people who purchased these Griffin rads have had similar issues. It seemed mine lasted a lil longer than most, too. The coolant was always 50/50 Toyota red and distilled H2O with a bottle of Water Wetter. Have been back to running a stock rad for the last 1.5 years.

Good info to take into consideration for future aluminum rads - even if it's a non-issue. Better safe than sorry...again.

Wet behind the ears.
    Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Its probably not a sealant but an actual weld thats corroding. Welds generaly rust out first. I have a fluidyne that leaks at the base of some of the core tubes, previous owner must have had it connected to the body electrically somehow as the mk3's have rubber isolators
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Good info Seamus.

I've been running my Griffin rad since the first GB and no issues other than the cap not fitting well and its general kinda lopsidedness (love that quaint, hand-made character!). My grounds are solid and many so perhaps that has helped some.
    Nick

83 MA67 - 6M and turny stuff
    86 MX73 - 1UZ+MS3X, daily boat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member 1982 Dragon's Avatar
    Any updates on this? Are they available and with the electric fans?
    -Josh

1982 Terra Cotta P-Type - Sold and missed Hidden Content
    1987 Supra, 7MGTE 432WHP (New Toy)
    1993 Celica GTS (Daily Commuter)

CelicaSupra.com Member Suprafanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    Damn, that would have been some great info to know before the initial install of the Griffin years ago. Mine began leaking at several locations along the joint line between the tank and the core where they used some form of sealent/epoxy. From talking with others at various Supra meets, MANY people who purchased these Griffin rads have had similar issues. It seemed mine lasted a lil longer than most, too. The coolant was always 50/50 Toyota red and distilled H2O with a bottle of Water Wetter. Have been back to running a stock rad for the last 1.5 years.

Good info to take into consideration for future aluminum rads - even if it's a non-issue. Better safe than sorry...again.

Wet behind the ears.
    Scott
    Scott, I strongly encourage you to get on Griffin about the leak, same with anyone who has that problem. I've seen one or two myself, and it really pisses me off that this wasn't an isolated incident. I would be all over it like a bad smell myself, however, Griffin wants nothing to do with me as I assume they equate my name with money they didn't make on the time they spent making these rads for us. They would not sell me anymore, nor return my calls so I gave up. I think if enough people pipe up and confront them for warranty they will realize there was an issue. As far as the new source of rads, I have made zero progress as I'm directing energy toward a new career in home renovation since I can't keep my hands busy enough otherwise! lol Please post up in the Griffin rad thread about any progress with warranty, and I believe George at Raptor may be able to assist as he has been able to buy the rads from Griffin still.
    Cheers, Canadian Phil adrenaline"at"gto.net
    84 Maroon P-type - 82 P-type w/20K - 82 LP track bitch - 91 TT-R - 94TT 6spd - 89 Soarer Aerocabin
    "I'm not from here - your laws don't apply to me."

CelicaSupra.com Member Suprafanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982 Dragon View Post
    Any updates on this? Are they available and with the electric fans?
    No progress on the rads, but I have the fan kits in stock, and you are only 45min away from here! Email me for details.
    Cheers, Canadian Phil adrenaline"at"gto.net
    84 Maroon P-type - 82 P-type w/20K - 82 LP track bitch - 91 TT-R - 94TT 6spd - 89 Soarer Aerocabin
    "I'm not from here - your laws don't apply to me."

im in

Thread Information