Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

6mgte swap suggestions

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  83CelWA 
#1 ·
so i have had my 6mgte running in the supra for a couple months now and aside from oil leaks iv been very happy. but sad to say i am debating on switching away from the supra platform. i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any different cars that would be good canidates to put my 6m in. i was thinking of maybe an ae86 or te51. i want something light that has a decent aftermarket for rims and coilover. i know the 6m is on the heavy side and although i want something that handles well, its not track driven so its not a top priority. i also want something that i could possibly beef up the rear end to handle the 6m power which i estimate to be in the neighborhood of 270whp judging from cars iv raced and my seat of the pants dyno. if i cant find a different platform i will most likly be on the hunt for a cleaner mk2 supra shell. im looking forward to see what you guys suggest.

thanks,
anthony

#2 ·
wait, you want to move AWAY from the Supra? Why would anyone want to do that?!

Just kidding. I understand... the passion doesn't last forever. But, I have to wonder, if you are tired of the Supra, why not just ditch the whole project and move on? Maybe a 3000GT-VR4? Or an American classic, like a Nova or Camaro? You're not giving us much to go on here. What are you interested in? What moves you?

On a side note.... you going to bring the Supra to Centralia next weekend?

-Brian

#3 ·
well basically, i have put about 4k into that 6m over the course of the last few years, a full rebuild, and the turbo kit. i bought the shell for $300 and have hardly put a dime into anything but the motor. i love the performance, sound and feel of the 6m and very happy with it, but the car itself is falling apart. its not straight, iv removed and lost majority of the interior over my highschool years. besides, the shell has 290k miles on it and doubling the horsepower isnt helping the poor thing. im already on my second driveshaft and second diff. i love mk2 supras, its just that this one just needs to much work and the aftermarket is just way to small for suspension and such. im gonna pull the motor soon to fix the oil leaks and do a couple upgrades so i figured why not just put it into something differnt.

and id love to make it to some meets before i pull her apart agan but its hard with work. hopefully if theres something local this summer ill see what i can do!

#4 ·
Why not drop it in the same kind of car you got the 6m out of?

#5 ·
i have thought about that too. i loved that celica! it was a shame to lose it. but there still isnt much aftermarket for coils just like the supras.

#6 ·
If your supra is "falling apart," why not check this supra out. It might be in decent condition(has no pics) and is about 27 miles from Renton, WA, according to autotempest.com. $500 '82 supra "engine seized up....It's a really nice car, just needs a new engine" http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/2995212291.html It's worth taking a look at it. Also, for coilovers for a mk2 supra, I found this company, and I've read good reviews on this site about their products(can't remember which thread but I'm sure a search can find it). https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ma60 Stick with the supra! By the way, if you must get a different car, get a mk1 supra. The mk1 is lighter than the mk2(2800lbs vs 3000lbs according to wikipedia), and you could probably put the 6mgte in it. :badger:

#10 ·
what about a datsun 280z? has anyone ever done that before? i think the people have put the 7m in there before but idk about a 5/6m. seems doable, the engine bay was made for a inline 6 so there should be plenty of room. plus withn some rims and a good paint job those cars can look amazing

#12 ·
Please don't put anything with an "M" or "JZ" (or RB, for that matter) into an AE86. They are way too heavy and long, wreck the balance on those cars.

The Toyota Van used the 4Y engine, which I believe is the same block as the R-series. You could probably bolt a 6M to that transmission.
Or you could put the 6M in an MX73 Cressida, 4-door or wagon.
You can also put it into a Toyota pickup 4x4, where it would make gobs of torque.

Maybe you would like the challenge of building/welding a Lotus7 kit car, or any number of schematic cars, and putting the 6M in it?

Lots o possibilities, but they would mostly require a lot of fab work, except the Cressida.

#13 ·
Still say it's a better option to put it back into a celica, this time make it a gt-s so you can swap the rear k-frame and diff over to it, and most of the interior from the supra can be kept for spares for the celica.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.