Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[CLOSED] Carbon Fiber Hood Survey, Yes Again!

30K views 105 replies 38 participants last post by  4SFED 
#1 ·
This is just a feeler for how many members would seriously consider buying a carbon fiber hood in stock design (no vents, or air scoops), just the usual carbon fiber look, probably a gloss topcoat. I would imagine it would come with the center hood latch but highly recommend the additional use of
a hood pin type of secondary latch.

Minimum quantity for the deal is 10 units, all the same. Price would be in the $450-$500 range. Shipping/tax of course would be extra.

Deposit for purchase would be 1/2 of the price, so figure about $225 or so to commit and retain a unit. Production would be only be about 3-4 a month so not everyone will get hoods at the same time, so order of commitment is important.

To initiate this project involves a pretty significant investment on my part, so speak up and be counted, and I'll decide if it is worth my effort.

BTW, I really want a CF hood for my car, and its REALLY hard to make a one-off unit. So this project is of course for selfish reasons, but I figure others could benefit too. Once the group buy is done, the company can still market and sell the hoods, but they will be probably $200+ more.

Ok, let me hear it!

Don L.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I know. Multiply that by 10 and you get an idea of how I feel. First off, I know there have been a few previous efforts or discussions on this subject.
I followed them too, almost jumped in too. This is a situation where I'm trying to work out a situation where financially I can get the shop to make a hood, so I have one to display and everyone can see an actual product installed. As a buyer, that would do it for me. I've given money before for projects with promises that never materialized, so I too am skeptical of such propositions. If I invested funds into such a project to get it going, I need to
consider the worse case scenario and how much I can lose. I'd feel bad if others lost their money so I would try to minimize that risk.

So, I'm just asking who would buy a CF hood, under good conditions, with a reputable supplier, and a demo hood to see.

Don L.

#4 ·
I'm in for a stock CF hood with a factory style latch ONLY(I understand securing with a latches or pins is recomended) and the price point that is presented is very reasonable. However, I'm weary of dealing with suppliers that have little to reputation as well.

I know many people will be "totally in bro" but will flake when it comes time to pony up the cash, so as always, these surveys should be taken with a grain of salt.

#5 ·
I would be interested but I would definitely have to see the initial product. I worked in the aircraft industry for 15 years making different assemblies out of kevlar, fiberglass, FRP, carbon fiber, graphite and other composite materials.

I understand the amount of work involved and that price is literally a steal for a piece that size. My concern would be the process for the making of the hood. Is it going to be using molds with a vacuum or press? or just a straight layup with no sort of compression? Also, how many plies would be used in the process?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm gonna make an investment, I want to make sure we would all receive a quality product.

Thanks for the interest and any parts that come available for the Supra are GREATLY appreciated.

#9 ·
I would be interested but I would definitely have to see the initial product. I worked in the aircraft industry for 15 years making different assemblies out of kevlar, fiberglass, FRP, carbon fiber, graphite and other composite materials.

I understand the amount of work involved and that price is literally a steal for a piece that size. My concern would be the process for the making of the hood. Is it going to be using molds with a vacuum or press? or just a straight layup with no sort of compression? Also, how many plies would be used in the process?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm gonna make an investment, I want to make sure we would all receive a quality product.

Thanks for the interest and any parts that come available for the Supra are GREATLY appreciated.
Good questions that I will try to get answers for. I am by no means knowledgable in the CF production methods so its definitely a learning curve for me too! However, my goal is to get at least a good product (maybe not a great product), at a very good price, at a time when such a product is totally not available. I want to minimize financial risks for members, and will hope to front enough of the initial financial costs such that an example can be made, thus having something for all to see before committing to purchase. Not sure I will be able to accomplish all this, but that is the business plan.

I don't take these efforts likely, and those who have dealt with me before know my committment to follow through. I really hope this CF hood thing is a
plausible endeavor! Will see....

Don L.

#7 ·
I am also interested in a STOCK style hood with original provisions for latches and hinges. Is there any way you can get any examples of the company's work posted Don? I think that with Don's attention to quality and detail, his word carries a bit of weight around this forum. If you can say that they are the real deal, I am sure the quality is high. If they are a quality builder, I can easily front the first deposit.

-Mike

#13 ·
I am not interested in one but if I was thinking about getting one, I would in on this. Don is a great member of this forum, his work is second to none, he's a picky guy, and is a trusted person for many years. If you are on the fence, don't be and get in on it if you really want one because if it's gong to happen he will make it happen.

#14 ·
I too would be interested and if there any way I can help you know how to reach me. I have been constantly looking to get this done on my end too, but it's a monumental task if you don't want to risk a lot of money. I've lost many many MANY hundreds trying to re-make body size and rocker moldings and know that finding the right vendor is not an easy task.

#15 ·
since the one in japan was 700 and shipping was a bitch. im pretty sure u have no problem with me buying one.
will it have the underhood frame part as well. not just a flimsy hood with no frame work underneth..
good quality please. and u have me in for sure. if its by december for the last big car show. ill give u a hug :)

#21 ·
Maybe a pic of you before the hug thing :)

I've seen some CF hoods by autocrossers that have no bracing on the underside of the hood, but I think they removed it. The hoods flop around like
limp noodles. I sure wouldn't expect that and wouldn't pay for that. Good quality product, that's da goal.

#16 ·
I'd be in - I've had some issues with my CFX hood and would perfer one without the scoop. Would perfer a fibreglass hood, since it will be painted but will go with CF if required for the GB.

#23 ·
im in for one! im newish to the forum and dont really know anyone but the amount of positive feedback towards you is astonomical so you have my trust my friend. as long as it has the factory style latch (i know half the posts have said it and you have as well) im game.

#24 ·
I'm good in this department but am always available to answer any questions I can help with. Don you should have no problem selling 10 of these hoods, we sold a little over 20 of the CFX ones back in the day.

There's no downsides to going CF besides price. My CF CFX hood is both stiffer and significantly lighter then my FG one (13lbs vs 19). At this price, you can't lose. Though it still seems a little on the cheap side to me, this would still be very worthwile if the hoods were $700 each or more. Those shipping prices will be within the US too of course, I think cross border shipping of the hoods was costing around $225 on the CFX buy, again though, that was 2002.

The biggest thing I would change if I were doing it all again is looking into having the under hood bracing reinforced somehow. Taking a mold of the stock bracing and reproducing it is the minimum a quality hood requires, but the stock bracing is designed to be effective when made out of steel. If you want oem like hood stability at speed, you need to run hood pins or have the bracing reinforced.

I'll be posting some info about hood latches to my Project Black 86s build thread very soon.

#25 ·
Hey Seamus, I'll ask some questions on the underhood bracing design. I'm sure it will be adequate, as the company is not new to making CF hoods.
That said, I may actually cut some of the bracing out of my hood simply to save more weight. Nominal, to be sure, but may consider it.

I'm looking to lose about 100 lbs on my car. Some of that will hopefully be from the CF hood, the rest from intercooler downsizing, possibly aluminum radiator. The BBK "might" save some weight, I just don't know yet.

My estimates of shipping were off the top of my head, info from the company, and of course only for the continental U.S. Over the border in any direction is of course going to be different (likely more). That is for the buyer to consider, not for me.

Good feedback, again ! thanks!

#26 ·
I would be interested in one as well. My concerns are the same as JSpur, the processing is crucial to the final integrety of the hood. A hand laid up part will be acceptable but will require some kind of finishing process, that would allow for complete fiber wetting, and evacuation of air pockets.

#27 ·
I hear you Don, but if the bracing could be reinforced a little there would be no need for people to run hood pins. You don't need to with the CFX hoods, but they do lift at the corners at speed and its a little disconcerting and hard on the hood.

FYI the old CFX hoods were hand laid, one single sheet of carbon, then bagged and vacumed to pull the resin through. Once out of the mold alot of polishing went in to get a nice deep sheen. As with all composite hoods I've seen, the liner was FG, but sealed and bonded very nicely to the carbon skin with smooth molded corners on top and the liner blended onto the skin along the edges. Quality resin is key, I've seen so many carbon parts (expensive name brand ones too) where the finish fogs over or even starts to delaminate from UVs. The CFX ones have stood up well in that department.

So far no ones asked so thats good, but just so everyone knows, forget about retaining the factory struts right now. We got them working on the CFX hoods but it wasn't worth it and even with custom revalved shocks we couldn't stop them from pushing the hoods up a little when closed so no one ended up using them as far as I know.

#29 ·
Thanks for all the updates. Hand laid carbon and vacuuming should yield a respectable product. As SupraFiend said, the resin is really the key. Yellowing also occurs from the resin being mixed and not used immediately. This allows heat to build up in the matrix which causes the yellow discoloration. But I digress, yes i would want one!

#31 ·
subscribe

will

#36 ·
Just to be clear, I understand there are several methods of making these CF hoods, "wet" and "dry", and probably a number of other techy things that separate the really, really, great quality products from the oh...good products. Make no mistake about it, I am not trying to get the best quality hood that money can buy. We'd never sell 2 units, much less 10 units. There is a huge chasm (I perceive) for buyers of a $500 car accessory, and a $800 alternative. The market just shrivels. As I said before, good quality, standard issue production method to most off the shelf CF hoods available for the popular cars, at about $450-$500. Seamus already called it "cheap", and I'm ok with that, quite pleased actually, if the product is decent.

I'm still working and evaluating. This won't take a year, I promise you that.

Don L.

#39 ·
I wouldn't promise that lol. Took a year for both of my group buys start to finish.

And for the record I didn't call the hoods you're having built cheap, they don't exist yet, I can hardly judge their quality at this point. But the price is on the low side for a hood on par with the old cfx hoods for quality. I don't know what kind of deal you worked out though, you said the manufacturer will probably sell these for up to $200 more after the buy (cfx carbon were 650us in 02). There was no cash outlay on my part when I did the cfx buy, and the few hoods sold after went for a similar price. That and times have changed, these are made in a different region, etc. All I'm saying is be careful at that price point. The cheaper "carbon" hoods often employ cost saving processes like cut edges, low grade carbon on top and fiberglass weave on the inside, poor resin etc. I know your standards and I don't think you will be happy either if you're handed a 25lb hood when all is said and done. No one is expecting an autoclaved hood at even 700, but there is plenty of acceptable middle ground at these price ranges. I'm sure you will do a bang up job on your end Don, let me know if I can help any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.