[CLOSED] Carbon Fiber Hood Survey, Yes Again!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

[CLOSED] Carbon Fiber Hood Survey, Yes Again!

This is just a feeler for how many members would seriously consider buying a carbon fiber hood in stock design (no vents, or air scoops), just the usual carbon fiber look, probably a gloss topcoat. I would imagine it would come with the center hood latch but highly recommend the additional use of
    a hood pin type of secondary latch.

Minimum quantity for the deal is 10 units, all the same. Price would be in the $450-$500 range. Shipping/tax of course would be extra.

Deposit for purchase would be 1/2 of the price, so figure about $225 or so to commit and retain a unit. Production would be only be about 3-4 a month so not everyone will get hoods at the same time, so order of commitment is important.

To initiate this project involves a pretty significant investment on my part, so speak up and be counted, and I'll decide if it is worth my effort.

BTW, I really want a CF hood for my car, and its REALLY hard to make a one-off unit. So this project is of course for selfish reasons, but I figure others could benefit too. Once the group buy is done, the company can still market and sell the hoods, but they will be probably $200+ more.

Ok, let me hear it!

Don L.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I want one. I got screwed before, so I'm a little scared.

Quote Originally Posted by AChan View Post
    I want one. I got screwed before, so I'm a little scared.
    Yeah, I know. Multiply that by 10 and you get an idea of how I feel. First off, I know there have been a few previous efforts or discussions on this subject.
    I followed them too, almost jumped in too. This is a situation where I'm trying to work out a situation where financially I can get the shop to make a hood, so I have one to display and everyone can see an actual product installed. As a buyer, that would do it for me. I've given money before for projects with promises that never materialized, so I too am skeptical of such propositions. If I invested funds into such a project to get it going, I need to
    consider the worse case scenario and how much I can lose. I'd feel bad if others lost their money so I would try to minimize that risk.

So, I'm just asking who would buy a CF hood, under good conditions, with a reputable supplier, and a demo hood to see.

Don L.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member discoelk's Avatar
    I'm in for a stock CF hood with a factory style latch ONLY(I understand securing with a latches or pins is recomended) and the price point that is presented is very reasonable. However, I'm weary of dealing with suppliers that have little to reputation as well.

I know many people will be "totally in bro" but will flake when it comes time to pony up the cash, so as always, these surveys should be taken with a grain of salt.
    David H
    85 P, LS6/R154/3.58/TrueTrac etc

I would be interested but I would definitely have to see the initial product. I worked in the aircraft industry for 15 years making different assemblies out of kevlar, fiberglass, FRP, carbon fiber, graphite and other composite materials.

I understand the amount of work involved and that price is literally a steal for a piece that size. My concern would be the process for the making of the hood. Is it going to be using molds with a vacuum or press? or just a straight layup with no sort of compression? Also, how many plies would be used in the process?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm gonna make an investment, I want to make sure we would all receive a quality product.

Thanks for the interest and any parts that come available for the Supra are GREATLY appreciated.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    similar concerns as the above posters but Don L is a forum asset so i trust he will do everything each and everyone of us would do to ensure no one gets scammed. i am definitely interested in one for sure! thanks Don!

CelicaSupra.com Member SuperSubs's Avatar
    I am also interested in a STOCK style hood with original provisions for latches and hinges. Is there any way you can get any examples of the company's work posted Don? I think that with Don's attention to quality and detail, his word carries a bit of weight around this forum. If you can say that they are the real deal, I am sure the quality is high. If they are a quality builder, I can easily front the first deposit.

-Mike

Just like everyone else... I trust Don would only be working with a company who'd do it right. I'm 100% in.
    --Peter--
    85 Supra P 6M-GE

Quote Originally Posted by JSpur5 View Post
    I would be interested but I would definitely have to see the initial product. I worked in the aircraft industry for 15 years making different assemblies out of kevlar, fiberglass, FRP, carbon fiber, graphite and other composite materials.

I understand the amount of work involved and that price is literally a steal for a piece that size. My concern would be the process for the making of the hood. Is it going to be using molds with a vacuum or press? or just a straight layup with no sort of compression? Also, how many plies would be used in the process?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm gonna make an investment, I want to make sure we would all receive a quality product.

Thanks for the interest and any parts that come available for the Supra are GREATLY appreciated.
    Good questions that I will try to get answers for. I am by no means knowledgable in the CF production methods so its definitely a learning curve for me too! However, my goal is to get at least a good product (maybe not a great product), at a very good price, at a time when such a product is totally not available. I want to minimize financial risks for members, and will hope to front enough of the initial financial costs such that an example can be made, thus having something for all to see before committing to purchase. Not sure I will be able to accomplish all this, but that is the business plan.

I don't take these efforts likely, and those who have dealt with me before know my committment to follow through. I really hope this CF hood thing is a
    plausible endeavor! Will see....

Don L.

CelicaSupra.com Member eightsixxmkII's Avatar
    I'm in for one as well. Been looking for a cf hood for a long time.
    Hidden Content
    05 Scion Tc: Sold. Mpg will be missed.
    85 P: New project. No motor/trans.
    86 P Super Deep Red (Cali Car):7mgte/w58.
    98 4runner Sr5: Daily driver. Parts/dead car hauler.
    96 Avalon: New daily.

Thread Information