[CLOSED] Carbon Fiber Hood Survey, Yes Again! - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 82 Lover View Post
    since the one in japan was 700 and shipping was a bitch. im pretty sure u have no problem with me buying one.
    will it have the underhood frame part as well. not just a flimsy hood with no frame work underneth..
    good quality please. and u have me in for sure. if its by december for the last big car show. ill give u a hug
    Maybe a pic of you before the hug thing

I've seen some CF hoods by autocrossers that have no bracing on the underside of the hood, but I think they removed it. The hoods flop around like
    limp noodles. I sure wouldn't expect that and wouldn't pay for that. Good quality product, that's da goal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRacing View Post
    I too would be interested and if there any way I can help you know how to reach me. I have been constantly looking to get this done on my end too, but it's a monumental task if you don't want to risk a lot of money. I've lost many many MANY hundreds trying to re-make body size and rocker moldings and know that finding the right vendor is not an easy task.

Thanks George! I'm sure we will talk about this more later, but yeah, I appreciate any group buys that require fabrication!

BTW, if Mike Malloy is out there, I sent him a question on forum fees for a group buy. Yo' Mikey!

Don L.

im in for one! im newish to the forum and dont really know anyone but the amount of positive feedback towards you is astonomical so you have my trust my friend. as long as it has the factory style latch (i know half the posts have said it and you have as well) im game.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I'm good in this department but am always available to answer any questions I can help with. Don you should have no problem selling 10 of these hoods, we sold a little over 20 of the CFX ones back in the day.

There's no downsides to going CF besides price. My CF CFX hood is both stiffer and significantly lighter then my FG one (13lbs vs 19). At this price, you can't lose. Though it still seems a little on the cheap side to me, this would still be very worthwile if the hoods were $700 each or more. Those shipping prices will be within the US too of course, I think cross border shipping of the hoods was costing around $225 on the CFX buy, again though, that was 2002.

The biggest thing I would change if I were doing it all again is looking into having the under hood bracing reinforced somehow. Taking a mold of the stock bracing and reproducing it is the minimum a quality hood requires, but the stock bracing is designed to be effective when made out of steel. If you want oem like hood stability at speed, you need to run hood pins or have the bracing reinforced.

I'll be posting some info about hood latches to my Project Black 86s build thread very soon.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Hey Seamus, I'll ask some questions on the underhood bracing design. I'm sure it will be adequate, as the company is not new to making CF hoods.
    That said, I may actually cut some of the bracing out of my hood simply to save more weight. Nominal, to be sure, but may consider it.

I'm looking to lose about 100 lbs on my car. Some of that will hopefully be from the CF hood, the rest from intercooler downsizing, possibly aluminum radiator. The BBK "might" save some weight, I just don't know yet.

My estimates of shipping were off the top of my head, info from the company, and of course only for the continental U.S. Over the border in any direction is of course going to be different (likely more). That is for the buyer to consider, not for me.

Good feedback, again ! thanks!

CelicaSupra.com Member mkii_supra_freak's Avatar
    I would be interested in one as well. My concerns are the same as JSpur, the processing is crucial to the final integrety of the hood. A hand laid up part will be acceptable but will require some kind of finishing process, that would allow for complete fiber wetting, and evacuation of air pockets.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I hear you Don, but if the bracing could be reinforced a little there would be no need for people to run hood pins. You don't need to with the CFX hoods, but they do lift at the corners at speed and its a little disconcerting and hard on the hood.

FYI the old CFX hoods were hand laid, one single sheet of carbon, then bagged and vacumed to pull the resin through. Once out of the mold alot of polishing went in to get a nice deep sheen. As with all composite hoods I've seen, the liner was FG, but sealed and bonded very nicely to the carbon skin with smooth molded corners on top and the liner blended onto the skin along the edges. Quality resin is key, I've seen so many carbon parts (expensive name brand ones too) where the finish fogs over or even starts to delaminate from UVs. The CFX ones have stood up well in that department.

So far no ones asked so thats good, but just so everyone knows, forget about retaining the factory struts right now. We got them working on the CFX hoods but it wasn't worth it and even with custom revalved shocks we couldn't stop them from pushing the hoods up a little when closed so no one ended up using them as far as I know.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thanks for all the updates. Hand laid carbon and vacuuming should yield a respectable product. As SupraFiend said, the resin is really the key. Yellowing also occurs from the resin being mixed and not used immediately. This allows heat to build up in the matrix which causes the yellow discoloration. But I digress, yes i would want one!

What size wrench did you just throw into the plans? Better be metric! Good find for those with cf hood aspirations and extra money to blow...

Thread Information