1985-'86 Hatch Lift Supports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Supradavis's Avatar

1985-'86 Hatch Lift Supports

Last year, I was following a thread by Sowsley where he was showing the progress where he was doing touch-up for on his white '82 P-type - www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?66669

He made mention of an online place to get some proper hatch struts for his car - Liftsupportsdepot.com

So I bought a set of these for my blue '86 P-type.

I received them very quickly, and they were a great price of $17.55 each. Once I got them on the car, I noticed that they held up the hatch just ok. Temperature outside was about 80*, but they didn't have the oooompfff to lift the hatch without some slight assistance from me. And the next morning when I went to leave for work, I checked on them to see how they'd do in 60* weather, and they didn't want to hold up the hatch at all!

So I sent them an e-mail stating my issue, and let them know that I ordered the part number that they had listed on their webpage for the '85 Supra. Lou responded later that day and asked for a little more information about the car. I told him that the car had a different style spoiler on it than the '82-'84 models, and that it extended all the way to the outermost edge of the hatch. So there was some additional weight further out, and these supports were unable to lift it up like they should. He suggested that he send me a set of 92lb rated supports to try out and see if they would work better than the 70lb rated supports that I had initially ordered. So within 3 days, he sent me the heavier duty supports. Now that's what I call customer service!

Well, I installed the 92lb supports earlier today, and WOW! What a difference!!!! I get the hatch open about 1/3 of the way, and the supports take over and power them up the rest of the way! These babies do the job!!

So the part number you'd want to get for your '85-'86 P-type with the double spoiler is 4726 (10263).

These are made by Strong Arm and come with all new mounting hardware. Shipped to you in a nicely sealed cardboard tube to keep them protected during shipment. Best part is that they're just $15.75 each from Liftsupportsdepot.com!

Now all I have to do is stick a pre-paid return label on the cardboard tube with the 70lb rated supports and send those guys back to Lou.

I highly recommend this place based on the service that I received! Lou does plan to update their website with the new information in the near future. And now I don't have to worry about the hatch falling on me whenever I need to get in there!

EDIT: Here are the pictures as requested!

Last edited by Supradavis; 07-10-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Updated some info
    Dave K.
    '92T - 346 rwhp / 441 rwtq
    '86P x2 - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Admin - AZSupras.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Dave... please post a pic of them installed
    Greg
    83P 5-speed Super Red - SOLD
    84P 5-speed Dark Blue - KEEPER Hidden Content
    84P 5-speed Black - SOLD
    85P 5-speed Super White - SOLD Hidden Content

Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Awesome info! This is great since I own 2 86's. Might be able to get by with the 70lb. lifts if one were to remove the rear wiper/motor, and stick a rubber plug in the wiper hole. Also good for those with rear louvers on the hatch, or an add-on rear spoiler. It's nice to have options. Thanks Dave!
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Will grab some pix tomorrow.

And the struts for the hatch have been a hard item to track down for the '85-'86. Just glad that Steve suggested that site and they were able to find something that would work for us! And I never even considered the MK2's with louvers! Good call, Dan!
    Dave K.
    '86P x2 - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Admin - AZSupras.com

Are there struts for the hood on this website aswell or are they the same as the ones for the hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by TycoHolloway View Post
    Are there struts for the hood on this website as well or are they the same as the ones for the hatch?
    Yes, they have the hood struts available as well. Might have to go to the 1984 model though. It should be all the same, but they have them listed differently since they don't have the correct information. Oh well. Most parts places don't have our cars listed properly in their parts databases.

And NO, the hatch struts won't work on the hood!! They are two different lengths!
    Dave K.
    '86P x2 - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Admin - AZSupras.com

Thanks for this, will definitely be ordering a set of those soon. My hatch and hood only stay up when it's warm out and even then, not that well.
    Nick
    '86 P-Type 5spd white

Awesome info and review! Just placed my order. Thanks for the post!

-Brian
    Hidden Content Hidden Content , SDR, P-type. JDM 6MGE engine swap. T3 Camber Plates. Whiteline 27MM adjustable front sway bar. D/S brake rotors on all 4 corners. 200 amp alternator. Dual Batteries w/ isolator. Intake relocation. 6000K HID Headlights. OBX headers, 2.5" exhaust, no cat, Flowmaster muffler. LED dash light conversion. Custom LED 3rd brake lights. Custom LED reverse lights. F/R Solid mount strut bars.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I had to look up an 83 to get the hood struts to show up on there.

Re: 1985-'86 Hatch Lift Supports

Fyi, the MK2 hood struts are the same for any year of the MK3 too.

Glad people are finding this useful!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Dave K.
    '86P x2 - Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Admin - AZSupras.com

Thread Information