1985-'86 Hatch Lift Supports - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HoodRat now has got me thinking. I wonder how many and which parts are really still available because they continued to be used on more modern cars, but we think they've been discontinued simply because the Celica Supra has simply been purged from databases. I can imagine if one of these strut manufacturers went through a corporate takeover/merger and the new parent company doesn't have a code in their database for Supra. Or maybe they make some small change to the product and have to re-certify fitment and function. It doesn't pay to go through the engineering specs more than 15 years back so they just drop older cars from the lists. I've been amazed sometimes at the ingenuity of hot-rodders who've figured out that some part from a modern era car fits and works just fine in a 1960s model. Just browsing through the salvage yards I guess.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The #4726 will work. Thanks,Dale.
    I'm 6' tall and I kept hitting my head on the hatch latch and wanted my hatch to open MORE.
    After looking on that site for HOURS,I ended up with a pair of hatch struts that were 27 1/4" extended length and 78 pounds of lifting force.
    The ones that I ordered made the hatch open more,so I wouldn't hit my head anymore.
    I had to change one end to the steel ball style,however.
    The hatch when open about 1/3 ,goes WAY up the rest of the way,easily.
    The site is very difficult to use because they carry so many different brands.

The number on the package is SG129006.
    https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/va...upport-20618w/
    Works fine,but I don't have the 'double wing' or louvers,but does have a rear wiper.

The one that are on the car now are my second set and the old ones lasted 3 years B-4 they began leaking.
    They sent me a replacement set for FREE,after I took a photo of the leaking units.
    You won't need these if you are less that 6 feet tall. Get the 4726's.They will be a bolt-on.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thanks Guys for all the info. will be posting resto progress when the weather gets warmer here in the NE
    Intis
    86 MkII P 5m 5spd, 6m on engine stand

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I can also add a small detail or two to this. I don't know exactly what the difference is between the hatch lifters for an 82 - 84 vs for 85 & 86. But at one time I purchased what was supposed to be universal replacements and they had a hard time lifting my 85 hatch, especially in the cold. They were replaced and their replacements have worked fine for many years. I did explain to whatever company it was what the difference was between the earlier hatches and the later full spoiler versions. Maybe the difference between those rated 85 pounds (I assume each) and 92 pounds is all it amounts to. It would seem to me that the heavier rated ones would be more universal.
    I can highly recommend DDD228's option as I've bumped my head on mine a couple of times and I'm just barely 6'. His is very definitely enough higher to prevent that! And that's got to be worth the small amount of work to modify one end to fit properly!

I agree, pdupler. Like for example Ford parts will fit on an international but if you try looking for international parts nothing will come up, but if you look up Ford it will bring up a lot. I imagine they do purge some stuff out of their data bases, now it'd be cool if we had a list of interchangeable parts for our cars...
    btw the part number for the support lifts that it's showing on our system is SG229001 and it's a normally stocked item too, we actually had it on the shelf!!

The ones in 1st post correspond to a 1986-1988 Chevy Nova hatch if you want to order them anywhere. I picked a pair up off Rock Auto for sub $30 shipped.

I would think the 85/86 hatch lifts are capable of supporting more weight due to the double-wing spoiler/sunshade.

My opened fine, and stayed open no problem when I still had the spoiler on it.

After I took the spoiler off, you could have used the hatch for a catapult!

The first time I opened it, I wasn't expecting it to go to FULLY open in a few hundred microseconds, and it really caught me off guard.

Now when I open the hatch, I hold a hand over it so it doesn't fly open and slam into the stops....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

It's VERY cool that my hatch struts will extend and it slows down towards the end of it's travel.
    Reminds me of the sound that the Star Trek ships doors make.
    PHITEEESH!
    It does take a bit of force to pull the hatch back down and I have to reach way up to get a hold of it! IS 300 ones,I believe.27 1/4" extended length ones.
    The hood ones are OH,REALLY ones.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information