Lemons Mk2 Build - Page 97

Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    My friend was busy this weekend so nothing happened with my car

I mentioned batch "injection" because he told me that the injectors fire in banks of three. Is this incorrect?

I'm not too worried about the idle control - my car rarely is asked to idle. I just wondered if removing more "failure points" or unnecessary hardware was possible with stand-alone systems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    ah yeah, I see. CLToy was talking about ignition setups in his prior post, thought that was what you were responding to. Yeah it is 2 banks of injectors on the 5m annoyingly. Its pretty simple to switch the wiring and injector resistor pack over to the 7m one. That's 3 banks of 2 injectors per. Much more optimal for our firing order and crankshaft design. I'm actually running the 7m resistor pack myself currently as I run 7m 295cc injectors, but I have to have the 3rd bank wiring dangling for now. I'll see if I can figure out a way to switch to 3 banks without ruining my ability to stay PNP when I go MS.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I mean if you're already going standalone, separate all the injectors if your ecu supports it i figure right? As long as you've got the outputs and can see enough resolution detail of where the engine is at why not?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I don't know the specifics of tuning sequential injection, maybe it's possible to get close using one of the three 02 sensor locations I now have. The PCB certainly has the capability to run sequential. My DIY guy installed a bung in each head pipe to tune his 4 cylinder and the power curve is amazing. I'll see what the dyno tuning guy at DIY thinks.

I have a race in 2 weeks and I'd be happy with a basic batch tune for now.

I thought that I'd have Megasquirt for the next race, which would eliminate a problem I was having - Cel code 42: VSS (vehicle speed sensor). I forgot about it until yesterday as I prepped for next weekend's NCM race with no MS system yet. I have both the TRSM and the supplemental Electrical manual and neither includes a test for the VSS. A google search turned up minimal information but I was able to piece together enough to see if I could troubleshoot the problem.

All of the components are readily accessible in my race car. You'll have to find directions for gaining access to the rear of the gauge cluster and the ECU.

Things I now know:
    1. The VSS for a manual transmission and analog gauges is inside the speedometer in the gauge cluster.
    2. The VSS uses a reed switch which triggers 4 times per rotation of the speedometer cable.
    3. The ECU sends a @5v signal to the VSS when the ignition is on (Light blue wire with white tracer = L-W).
    4. When the VSS triggers it goes to ground (Brown wire out of the gauge cluster).
    5. The ECU reads the rate at which the signal is interrupted. Without this signal it goes open loop and throws a code when the engine goes above 2500rpm for five seconds while it believes the car is "not moving". This will also affect the Cruise Control system which needs a speed signal.
    6. A bad ground can cause the CEL.

My troubleshooting process:
    1. Make sure the speedometer cable is turning the speedo. If your speedo is working the cable is fine.
    2. Check that there is continuity between the ECU signal wire and the same color wire on the back of the gauge cluster.
    3. With the plug still connected on the back of the gauges check for continuity between the L-W and Br wires while you slowly rotate the speedo drive (I used a small screwdriver and it turned quite easily). You should see the ohmmeter "wobble" or change 4 times per rotation - even my digital meter showed the change).
    4. Unplug the connector on the gauge cluster and check for continuity between the Brown wire and ground - it should be close to zero. Mine was reading 115 ohms. I had no idea if this was correct or not so I started checking voltages which led to incorrect readings. This wire runs down to the fuse panel by the driver's left foot.
    I cut the Br ground wire as long as possible, added a ring connector and bolted it to the chassis on the firewall. I now measured 1 ohm at the plug on the gauge cluster.
    5. Now I tested for voltage after plugging the connector back into the gauges. I placed the red lead of the voltmeter into the L-W wire slot and the black to ground. As I rotated the speedo drive I could watch the voltage go from 4.65v to 0v four times per revolution. This is the signal the ECU is looking for.

I hope that this might be part of my excessive fuel consumption and "soft" power problems.

If nothing else maybe it will help others searching for information about the VSS.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Good process. I'm surprised the FSRM doesn't have section for diagnosing that code and circuit.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

We had a roller-coaster weekend at NCM. A full race summary will be written when I recover.

Saturday race: We ran in 1st place for a good chunk of the day even with an extra fuel stop. With 30 minutes left our driver got a black flag for a questionable "Passing under yellow" call. We were running 2nd at the time and dropped to 5th. After serving the penalty he tried to make up spots and the after 3 laps the car died with 15 minutes to go. We ended up 8th overall.

Saturday night: diagnosed a bad fuel pump so I installed my spare... which was also dead (a fairly new Walbro). My crew went on a search of local parts stores and returned with a lower flowing Bosch pump. The car fired right up but there was no way to test drive it before race Sunday.

Sunday: We started the day 15th, and moved to 1st place by the third hour. The car was running fine and using a LOT less fuel. We had a race stoppage due to lightning and heavy rain which would have been bad news for us except Derek from DDR racing (dcwilliams on this site) let us borrow 2 new tires for the front. We had a semi-professional driver this weekend and he put on a rain driving clinic - 20 seconds faster each lap than other fast teams. It was amazing to watch and he drove us to a 2 lap lead, but we still had to make a fuel stop. Our 4th driver came out of the pits 9 seconds in front of the 2nd place car, and before he could get up to speed we lost first place with 35 minutes to go. The leading 300zx and the Supra traded "fastest laps of the day" while running 5 seconds apart, but we couldn't make up the gap. You can see them both on the finish straight in this pic (the Supra is a white spec visible over the tires).

2nd overall was still a great finish. We finally have our first Chump trophy!

I hope that Derek shares a full weekend write-up about his weekend. They fought through a few challenges and ran very strong Sunday!
    Last edited by revvhappy; 06-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.

great run! saw the post race interview, she's a handling mother F*cker! lol

That's high praise from Robin Bank - he's won a boatload of Chump races. And yes, she certainly handles well.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    It was a pleasure to finally race against your car. I'm gunning for you next
    1985 Celica GTS Endurance Race Car
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

my other car is an AH-64D

Thread Information