Lemons Mk2 Build - Page 98

Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798
    CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcwilliams00 View Post
    It was a pleasure to finally race against your car. I'm gunning for you next
    Bring a 6-pack of local brew to VIR, I'll do the same. We'll drink them together in victory lane

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

NCM Race summary. Video of Nabil's first stint Saturday:

It was supposed to be a weekend of testing and using up old consumables!

I worked hard to get a pre-Megasquirt package of parts installed so the system could be tuned and ready for a real world track test, but we weren't able to find time to get it wired before the race. I had two sets of used tires that should have lasted the weekend, and 8 front brake pads with some life in them. The only real change from Road Atlanta was new oil and filter.

We loaded Friday morning, arrived at the track at 2:30pm, purchased 70 gallons of fuel, unloaded and did a few things to the car before our crew arrived. I reserved a garage space and it was 20 degrees cooler than out in the sun. We would also have a dry place to work in case it rained.

I finally met Derek (dcwilliams) in person for the first time. Their Celica was having some issues and he was in the process of pulling the diff and transmission so I didn't want to distract him. The whole DDR team is a class act - they pulled the trans twice (with the engine once) in 2 days and still seemed enthusiastic. Then they ran Sunday with clutch issues and only one gear and finished 8th overall, which is stellar for a second race weekend.

We lined the car up early Saturday and took the green flag in 6th place. Nabil started the race for us since he's driven the track before. The Supra was still getting crappy fuel mileage and we planned to make one more fuel stop than most teams and run 1:30 stints. After a race stoppage of 30 minutes for a big oil spill (Porsche) Nabil drove into first place during the next 45 minutes and we put Mike in the car. Mike had never been on the track but knows the Supra well. We also had the benefit of a track walk with a professional driver who joined our team at the last minute when his car blew up during testing.

Tom O'Gorman (tomo racing) talked us through the nuances of the track before sunset on Friday night and it was great information for Mike and I who had never seen the track before. Mike got the hang of the track and maintained first place after all cars cycled through their first pit stops. We brought him in after 1.5 hours and put Tom in the car. Mike also radioed in that we should have a front tire ready for the left side. We fueled the car, changed drivers, added ice to the cool shirt cooler, checked the oil, and got the front wheel replaced in 3 minutes. After less than four hours of racing we used up a tire and had to use one of the ones I planned to run on Sunday.

Tom drove a solid stint, setting our fast time of the day and maintaining the lead. It was tenuous because we knew that we'd lose 2 laps during our additional fuel stop. I was in for the 4th stint and was 4-5 seconds/lap off the pace of the other 3 drivers. The track was hot, the tires were worn, and I was driving like a moron as I learned the track at speed. The previous three stints had each required 13.5-14 gallons of fuel, so I went into "conserve mode" trying to save the tires and fuel for the final stint. Mike jumped in again to take the car to the checkered flag, but it was not to be.

About 30 minutes from the end of the race Mike was running in 2nd place and got called for "passing under yellow" (caution flag). He was brought in for a 5 minute penalty and pleaded his case with the officials... to no avail. We dropped to 5th place while sitting there. Mike rejoined the race and pushed to get positions back, then 3 laps later the car did not come by. 5 minutes later we see him being towed by a track vehicle and went to the garage to meet him. We ended up in 8th overall after leading much of the day. I was very frustrated at the black flag call so close to the end of the race, but maybe it was a blessing. We may not have had the problem until Sunday's race when it would have been impossible to make up time spent in the garage.

We diagnosed a bad fuel pump so I replaced it with a spare, which also did not work! The crew hit the road with an old pump in hand to search for one. They found an Advance Auto and the manager led them out back to open pump boxes until they found one that might work. Mike and I tested the pump before installing it this time! The car started right up with the new pump but I couldn't test drive the car at night.

Sunday morning we started in 15th place and Nabil ran a solid stint again, driving into the top 3. I was driving second and prepared ice for the cool shirt cooler. I started driving and wondered why I wasn't getting any cooling after 5 minutes. I radioed the pits and found out that the cooler lines were never hooked up during the driver change. I found out later that several drivers pitted early this weekend due to overheating bodies, but I still felt good after an hour of running competitive times. About 15 minutes after that the race was red flagged due to lightning in the area and I brought the car into pit road in 2nd place. The one hour delay helped our team in one way - we could now run the race with only 3 fuel stops like all the other fast teams.

However, the wet track was going to be an issue since all we brought were used tires. In an amazing display of sportsmanship Derek let me borrow a brand new set of Dunlop Star Spec tires on brand new wheels in case of rain. We put Tom into the driver's seat after the delay and told him to come into the pits immediately on the first lap so we could change the front tires to our "rental tires". We added fuel, added oil, and changed both front wheels in 4 minutes, then cut Tom loose.

For some reason the car was getting much better fuel mileage after we replaced the fuel pump. Nabil ran an identical stint to Saturday and only used 11 gallons versus 14 the previous day. The car only needed 9 gallons after my stint. Weird, but maybe the strong Walbro pump was creating problems with excessive pressure. With three hours left in the race Tom left the pits in the top 5 and began a rain driving clinic where he ran 20 seconds/lap faster than the next fastest car on track! We watched him drift through corners with the tail out on several occasions, and the Supra was clearly moving much more quickly than anything else driving by. It was truly remarkable to watch.

After 1:40 were were in first place again with almost 2 laps in hand over 2nd place, but we still had one more fuel stop to make. Mike would take us to the checkered flag and it was going to be close on coming out of the pit still in first (lap times were in the 2:35 range). He exited pit road with a 9 second lead over 2nd but took couple of laps to get up to speed while the GodZirra 300zx closed down and passed him. For the next 30 minutes the two cars traded FTD for their cars and FTDs for the race. Mike stayed within 5 seconds but couldn't get any closer (he ran the FTD for the Supra on the final lap), and that's where we finished.

Considering the expectations coming into the weekend we had an amazing two days and earned the Supra's first Chump trophy.

Race miles: 880 Total miles racing: 11,000

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revvhappy View Post
    Bring a 6-pack of local brew to VIR, I'll do the same. We'll drink them together in victory lane
    I am an IPA man. And deal I will bring some good stuff. Let me know if you need anything, as I am not very far from BIR about an hour and a half.
    1985 Celica GTS Endurance Race Car
    Chump/WRL
    Raleigh, NC

my other car is an AH-64D

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'll try to make it to Athens GA for a spectacular Double IPA from Creature Comforts.

Wow, I love these updates. Tom was dominant at last years autox events and now he is running with you guys...and in a supra nonetheless! I would love to get involved with this....hopefully some day!
    Chadrick
    Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; 2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD Supercharged; Hidden Content ; 1967 VW Beetle (Her Classic)
    Hidden Content

I tried to get Tom to race the Chump VIR 24 with us in August but he has another commitment. He was truly amazing to watch in the rain.

Thread Information