Energy Susp. Front Control Arm Bushing Install Question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ray had a few sets of 5mm shims made up, but I haven't installed them yet. Sounds like Energy suspension doesn't give a s#!+
    F/S & WTB: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Hi guys, I just tried to install mine and I have the same issue... I thought I was doing something wrong and decided to come on here and investigate. What is the answer for this? anyone have a proven tactic?
    Ray did the second washer from energy suspension fit ok?
    Thanks
    1985 SDR Supra, 6MGE, Brullen exhaust, Thorley header, 17" MSR deep dish wheels

I installed mine a few months ago, so it's still "fresh".

Ray was kind enough to send me a couple of the steel shims he made. The Energy washer and Ray's shim go on the end of the bushing that faces to the rear of the car. The supplied washer and his shim filled the gap perfectly.

I know he sent me an email with the chain of events leading up to his having the steel shims fabricated, but I don't recall his comments on using two of the washers that Energy supplies.

If I can find the emails, I'll report back here.

Knowing Ray a bit, I'd say that if he went to the trouble to have the shims made, the "two washer" approach didn't work out acceptably well....

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Yeah, you know me a bit more than a bit, don't you? You've been reading my mind again. Please be respectful and close that back door on my head after use. I'm feeling a draft back there. Oh, never mind. Some of the hair got stuck in the latch. My fault.
    But you nailed it perfectly. Communicating this simple fault to the technical development manager @ Energy was about as effective as pushing wet rope anywhere. The double thrust washers never even made it off the jack stands. No matter what I did, moving the arms up and down a few times would be all it would take for them to work against each other and force themselves as much out of alignment with each other as was possible. No need for even a brief road test of that mess.
    Now maybe if I'd somehow coupled them together like Siamese twins, or they'd sent me a pair of proper width thrust washers 12.5mm thick, it might have worked. But at that point, I'd already invested way too much time in solving their / our $20 problem and for, if I remember correctly, something like $88, I had a half dozen sets made, because I knew that at least a few other folks would be needing them. And to be honest, 6 sets cost less than 3x what the machine shop wanted for 1 set. But I'd already tried the idea out by finding a couple of pairs of different huge washers that fit just right, which worked fine. And still are, by the way.
    They're long gone now. But I have sent the dimensions to a few folks since to have their own made. They're 5mm thick x OD of thrust washers x ID of the OD of rear end of the OEM bushing sleeves. That ought to complete this except for someone getting a set of calipers out and filling in the minor details that I can't remember right now.

Upvote on Ray's shims, works perfectly.

Mine are pretty easy to get at still, I can pull some dimensions in the coming days.
    F/S & WTB: Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    yeah I ran into this issue too a couple years back. Its a little fuzzy as to what I ended up doing, I need to dig around for some pics as I likely took some. Pretty sure I just used the big red washer on one side, but I feel like I trimmed the insert down to get rid of the excess. I will have to look into this.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

The Energy bushings on the driver's side LCA were a mm or two excessive in length.

They "self clearanced" themselves quite nicely when I jacked them into place with my floor jack.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Yes I ended up making some shims as well worked good from what I can tell. Nice and stiff and supported. Greased them up good to elongate binding and squeaking. Hope to road test it soon. Moving onto the rear subframe currently.

Thread Information