Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Energy Susp. Front Control Arm Bushing Install Question

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  killersupra85 
#1 ·

The "washer" type bushing doesn't seem right. 1. It's too thin to do anything. 2. Fits over the OE metal sleeve this way, but still looks out of place.

Advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm having the same issue and sent a link to this post as well as a picture of exactly this but as mounted showing Energy this issue. So far, I've sent them a million details and all I've gotten so far is, "We've been making these since 1993 and have never heard of this". I asked them if they had a similar thrust washer but 5 mm thicker or if I should make my own shims. I'm very surprised that no one else has commented about this. Nothing yet from George either. I'll let everyone know the resolution even if it's just shims I make.
On a similar note, I know I've seen some lower rear subframe bushings that were the proper shape of the OEM ones and didn't require a mod to make the support bracket flat or adding a flat surface between the bracket and bushing. I thought they were Energy but obviously not. I can't find the post now?????

#3 ·
. Nothing yet from George either. I'll let everyone know the resolution even if it's just shims I make.
Hey Ray...just wanted to chime in that I received your email on the 17th and replied 2.5 hours later asking for pictures and didn't hear anything back from you(checked my spam/junk big too). Felt compelled to come in here and reply as I don't want people thinking that I made a sale, you sent an email with concerns and I ignored it.

The thing to keep in mind here folks (when it comes to me)...I'm not an install shop. I do sales and development of new parts. If I don't hear of these questions/issues from other customers there is really nothing I can comment as I don't have a MK2 here torn apart to test these issues when people ask. All I can say is out of the 3-4 dozen units I've sold Ray is the very first one to ask this question...which is why I really have no answer. I've sent some requests to recent customers who have installed so hopefully they can chime in.

#4 ·
George,
I know that's not your usual MO. I checked again and there's nothing from you in email. I'm sure you replied unless you were dead. Nice trick though, coming back. Just consider it your contribution to the Roswell, NM high tech archeology center. I'm certain that some random percentage of legit email makes its own way to email limbo or maybe it's email Vegas because you know, what happens in Vegas ...... something.... It's happened to me occasionally and likely to every one of us from time to time. It's like me feeling that our cats in their own way are giving me the finger and preferring that to thinking that dogs are butt kissers. What? Doodoo occurs!
Thanks for canvasing your customers. I wish that there was a pop up reminder that searching this forum using its own tools is like having a warehouse with every item listed as stuff / shit / misc. / whatever. Pick one, but make sure it's kind of vague. Maybe Homer Simpson picked up a boolean logic book and wrote some code. He probably carried that book around in his back pocket with his prized piece of a nuclear reactor fuel rod. vBulletin or whatever it is must think clueless is two words. I think it's the real search Nazi! How often can I forget to use site specific Google search? I'll keep that to myself. It's an embarrassing situation.
Max Manning @ Energy has replied a couple of times but can't seem to understand that all I need is a 5 mm thicker thrust washer to keep the arm in place over the bushing like the press fit and one piece construction of the OEM bushing do. I sent pictures and complete measurements of everything and noted that added up, 5 mm is missing...... and that it's as simple as that.
What are your thoughts on the lower rear subframe bushing being flat vs. the OEM bushing and support brackets shape?

#5 ·
Ray;

re-sent the email, there is really nothing to it ...just asking you for pictures.

Regarding the subframe bushings, believe it or not it's cheaper for me to re-make that bracket which I'm actually doing than to make 2 different versions of the bushings. The main problem is it's VERY expensive to make these bushings in small runs, and now if I there are 2 different molds for them it drives the price way up as I need to make 2 different parts. Seamus has jigged me up a new bracket which is being sent to the machine shop I use to get made.

#6 ·
Way to go you farging bastige! I will score you at 17 on a scale of 1 - 10! You can pick which test it's for: 1) The take a hint test, 2) The take care of business test, 3) The do the right thing test, 4) All of them plus more! Correct answer, any or all of them!
Let us all know when those brackets are ready. I can believe it's way cheaper to make than another complex bushing mold.
In the picture above, the bushing and sleeve are the correct length and at 59 mm, match the OEM bushing and the distance between the mounting ears on the front subframe. The bushing flange thickness is the same as OEM as well. This positions the arm front to back perfectly. However, looking at the thrust washer, it should fill the distance between the non flange back side of the arm and the bushing / sleeve length to keep the arm in that position front to back between the mounting ears. As is, you can see that it doesn't, leaving 5 mm for the arm to move front to back on the bushing. That's not going to last long or work as expected.

#7 ·
Well, Energy finally decided to send me a second set of identical thrust washers to add to the originals and said they should both compress slightly and the pair of them then fit in as I theorized filling the required space from the rear of the arms to the rear mounting ears tightly on each side and hold the arms in place properly front to back. I have every expectation that this solution will at least initially fit properly and will report back when I finish up the front end work very soon as well as any changes from use.
I just find it hard to believe that I'm only the second one to ever notice this issue and that no one else has commented about it at all.

#9 ·
Ray, Got the same problem. I'm wondering if it's an 85 thing? Wondering if all models have the steel sleeve that the bushing fits into extends past the LCA by 3/16"? Made a drawing of what I believe is an answer to this. Which would be a different "washer" Bushing. I'll try to pm you the PDF.

Herb

#12 ·
Hi guys, I just tried to install mine and I have the same issue... I thought I was doing something wrong and decided to come on here and investigate. What is the answer for this? anyone have a proven tactic?
Ray did the second washer from energy suspension fit ok?
Thanks

#13 ·
I installed mine a few months ago, so it's still "fresh".

Ray was kind enough to send me a couple of the steel shims he made. The Energy washer and Ray's shim go on the end of the bushing that faces to the rear of the car. The supplied washer and his shim filled the gap perfectly.

I know he sent me an email with the chain of events leading up to his having the steel shims fabricated, but I don't recall his comments on using two of the washers that Energy supplies.

If I can find the emails, I'll report back here.

Knowing Ray a bit, I'd say that if he went to the trouble to have the shims made, the "two washer" approach didn't work out acceptably well....

- Jim

#14 ·
Yeah, you know me a bit more than a bit, don't you? You've been reading my mind again. Please be respectful and close that back door on my head after use. I'm feeling a draft back there. Oh, never mind. Some of the hair got stuck in the latch. My fault.
But you nailed it perfectly. Communicating this simple fault to the technical development manager @ Energy was about as effective as pushing wet rope anywhere. The double thrust washers never even made it off the jack stands. No matter what I did, moving the arms up and down a few times would be all it would take for them to work against each other and force themselves as much out of alignment with each other as was possible. No need for even a brief road test of that mess.
Now maybe if I'd somehow coupled them together like Siamese twins, or they'd sent me a pair of proper width thrust washers 12.5mm thick, it might have worked. But at that point, I'd already invested way too much time in solving their / our $20 problem and for, if I remember correctly, something like $88, I had a half dozen sets made, because I knew that at least a few other folks would be needing them. And to be honest, 6 sets cost less than 3x what the machine shop wanted for 1 set. But I'd already tried the idea out by finding a couple of pairs of different huge washers that fit just right, which worked fine. And still are, by the way.
They're long gone now. But I have sent the dimensions to a few folks since to have their own made. They're 5mm thick x OD of thrust washers x ID of the OD of rear end of the OEM bushing sleeves. That ought to complete this except for someone getting a set of calipers out and filling in the minor details that I can't remember right now.

#16 ·
yeah I ran into this issue too a couple years back. Its a little fuzzy as to what I ended up doing, I need to dig around for some pics as I likely took some. Pretty sure I just used the big red washer on one side, but I feel like I trimmed the insert down to get rid of the excess. I will have to look into this.

#18 ·
Yes I ended up making some shims as well worked good from what I can tell. Nice and stiff and supported. Greased them up good to elongate binding and squeaking. Hope to road test it soon. Moving onto the rear subframe currently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.