Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Hwy129 "Tail of the Dragon" - April 25-26, 2014

34K views 222 replies 48 participants last post by  BillyM 
#1 · (Edited)

What is "Deals Gap" aka "The Dragon" aka "Tail of the Dragon" aka "Hwy129"?
"The Dragon" is located ~1hr south of Knoxville TN and ~2.5hrs north of Atlanta GA.
The road is a popular and internationally famous destination for driving enthusiasts.
The 11-mile stretch of the Dragon in Tennessee is said to have 318 curves. (I checked, it does...)

[HR][/HR]What's the plan for the weekend, where do we start, where do we stop and when do we eat!
-----Reference Map (open in a new tab/window)-----

-----Resort Map (open in a new tab/window)-----

This year will be organized with our group tentatively being based 100% out of Fontana Village Resort (point "A" on the Reference Map)
Please see below for lodging and reservation group-rate details.

Following is a rough estimation of the overall weekend, with Saturday being the primary meet day:

Thursday April 24th
I arrive ~1pm, relax with the crew, wander the resort, swim, maybe a short hike?

Friday April 25th
8:30-9:30: pancake breakfast at billym's cabin
~2-3pm: spirited cruise down the Dragon (A-B-A on the Reference Map)
(free time, relax, nap, swim etc)
~8pm: dinner at Wildwood Grill
(Lodge Lounge night-cap for those party-folk)

Saturday April 26th
~9am: pancake breakfast by BillyM at our cabin
~9-10am: car-wash/shine (maybe a pro to give tips? *wink wink*)
~10-1: official Dragon cruise and photo-ops at the dam (A-B-D on the Reference Map)
~1-2pm: official meet lunch at the Wildwood Grill
(free time, relax, nap, swim etc)
~5-7pm: mini-golf tournament at with prizes?
~7:30-10pm: trip to Deals Gap for BBQ, gift-shopping, and watch pit-bike racing ("C" on the Reference Map)

Sunday April 27th
~7:30-9am: short mountain hike and photography opportunity
~9am: official meet breakfast at The Mountainview on-site
Cruise and check-out?
...etc...

The meet will cover ~55miles (fuel stop first-thing Sat) of some of the greatest driving roads to be experienced.
Cruising speed will be brisk but keept to a safe pace so no one feels the need to cross the double-yellow.
There are 3 full-time photographers on the 11-mile stretch who sell digital copies online: SEE HERE
Cell-phone reception is spotty at best, so please bring a 2-way radio: (2 Radios for $20 shipped!)

[HR][/HR]Where can I stay, because it's a heck of a drive?
We'll be staying at the Fontana Village Resort, amenities can bee seen at their website: (www.fontanavillage.com)

We have a block of rooms available to us at discounted rates, you MUST state when calling "CelicaSupra2014"
Call 800-849-2258 option 1 to reserve one of the following rooms at the following rates (if two prices, the lower is for Thursday)
Reservations must be made ASAP and let me know if there are any issues (only the first-night will be charged as a deposit.)

Lodge Rooms with two queen beds - $79.00/$109.00 (14+ available)
1 Bedroom Willow Cabin - $79.00/$109.00 (1+ available)
2BR/1BA Hemlock Cabin - $129.00 (2+ available)
3BR/2 bath Azalea Cabin - $215.00 (1+ available)

[HR][/HR]More info, general notes, and answers to questions.
With help from CJ and JohnB, I was lucky enough to make the pilgrimage April 2011 and found it too nice to not share.
In 2012, I was greeted with a HUGE turnout of attendees, staying in Robbinsville and having a darn good time overall.
In 2013, we had more than 20 cars make it out to our stay at Fontana Village for a long weekend, lets do it again!

Please post any thoughts/questions or simply to say "I'm in and plan to arrive Thursday afternoon" here.

Looking forward to it, and hope to see many of you in April,
--billyM

See less See more
#2 ·
Now that's what I planning ahead!

Catherine and I will be in for a third consecutive year, but most likely Supra-less. Time to bring the Miata down and carve up those roads.

For those who have not yet made the trip, this is a "must do" meet! Great driving, super resort and the best of company. Lots of time to plan head and i hope to see some fellow Canuks down there.

#13 · (Edited)
Non-supra or non-community-member policy?

Please understand this is a CelicaSupra.com community meet first and foremost, but those close to the community are welcome to attend as well. The only thing I ask is that discount-rate rooms are saved for CelicaSupra.com folks first and that non-supras lead or tail the group on organized runs, otherwise feel free to bring those you trust.

To everyone already excited about this, thank you. I am humbled by the number of folks wanting to come down to our "neck of the woods" for the weekend and share these roads with us.

If everyone could please give me two weeks before reserving their rooms as well, I would appreciate it. (I'm trying to corner them into agreeing to some "benefits" for the group.)

...and yes, it is early planning, but anything that makes it easier for the community I'll gladly do.

--billyM

#21 ·
Chadrick, when would you like to fit the Skyway run in? (I'd be more than happy to put it in the official schedule.) Is this the route you take?

Additionally, is there anything else folks would like to see us arrange as a group?

(I will have the contact information available this week for reservations.)

Thanks,
--billyM

#25 ·
Chadrick, when would you like to fit the Skyway run in? (I'd be more than happy to put it in the official schedule.) Is this the route you take?
--billyM
I believe that is the route; it was approximately 120 miles, so that looks about right. Nice job! Memories83 (Mark) and I took off after lunch on Saturday: after we finished the damn dam tour (haha), took pictures with everyone, and then took off across the route. We made it back in time for dinner and we stopped a few times for pictures and stretching. Of course expect a bit longer with a bigger group.

This is a great addition!
Chadrick

#31 ·
I had the pleasure of running the tail a couple of years back with my son. What an amazing drive, even in a rental Camry. Hell, compared to any road in Colorado, Tennessee has such smooth asphalt. If you are any were near by or not, go to this event. Should be a great time.

#32 ·
Well, dammit guys, I'm gonna do everything humanly possible to make it to this meet. I plan to sell the MKIV next spring, but only after I drive it there next year! I'm also hoping to get another local MKIV owner (of my last resto) to bring his MKIV as well.
I'm really looking forward to spending time with you guys, and of course, laying a good old Canuck beating on the Dragon! Keep your finners crossed for me!

#35 ·
Wish I could make this but as of now it doesn't look like I'll be able to. Planning on going to PR for CJ's 50th so I can show him the island and it's just too close to one another. Lynn is a graphic designer btw. She can design some stuff. Maybe bounce some ideas and she can make it happen.

#36 ·
If I can sum up the money after my 2JZ swap I might try to make it to this meet, though with me living in Ok I am not sure. Are there ever any midwest meets?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.