Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1985 MKII Celica Supra 2.8i

11K views 61 replies 14 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
Greetings all

I am new to this forum(in fact this is the first forum I've joined,so please bare with me if I fault in any way).

I'm 24 years of age and living in South Africa. My dream car has always been a Toyota Supra (albeit the MKIV,but I'm quite content with what I have now). I have purchased a MKII Celica Supra which I believe could be the L-type version. This vehicle is in a bad condition but I'm sure it can be brought back to life. I purchased this vehicle in July 2013 and have been paying it off in instalments for a few months(I'm poor,but poor people can live out their dreams as well,LOL) I got this car for R9000(South African Rands which is about $900 US). I will upload pics as soon as possible so you guys will be able to tell me exactly how much I over paid for this car,but these cars are extremely rare in this country as with most Supra's which have to be imported as they were not sold locally.

Back to my car,
Like I said, this car is in terrible condition. It has been parked off for many years and subjected to the elements. The vehicle was apparently parked off because the fuel tank caught alight and hasn't been repaired. It doesn't have wheels,no fuel tank,no front and back seats,no roof lining,most of the interior parts have been stripped but approximately 80% are lying loose inside the car,the body is how do I put this,...F****D, and we haven't been able to start the car as yet but we haven't had much time to work on it. Reason being,my daily runner(Fiat Uno Turbo 1400 i.e. MKII,definitely not to be used as a daily runner) has been giving me issues and all my time and money has been dumped into that car.

But its time I start working on the Supra. I'm not concerned about the body too much as the rust is only on the outside and not on any of the actual structure of the car. Body work isn't a big problem for us as we will cut and weld and will get the body neat and straight again. My concern is the engine. I want to get the engine started before I do any work on the car. What we did when we first got the car was to try starting it. Seeing that it didn't have a fuel tank we connected one of those fuel pumps used for syphoning fuel(one that connects direct to a 12V battery) to the remaining fuel lines and tried starting but we were unsuccessful. We assumed this was because the fuel pressure was way too low but we thought we'd give it a shot anyway. What did give us a glimpse of hope is when we sprayed fuel directly into the intake manifold and the car started and even revved up but just until the fuel ran out(its not advisable to spray more fuel into the intake while the car is started,learnt that the hard way even though I knew it was a bad idea from the beginning). I pulled out the injectors and fuel rail,cleaned them, tested them and put them back. Another concern is that the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor in its fully depressed position,haven't investigated it as yet though.

I've been searching for the missing parts from local sources for a while but they are hard to come by,especially the fuel tank(does anyone know if a fuel tank from another vehicle might fit into its place?). Is there another car that is quite similar to this mechanically wise like the Toyota Cressida 2.8i,aside from the engine,suspension wise?
This car has a digital dash and flared fenders,I think its a 1985 model, so I assume it is the L-type. I wanted to know whether this comes with an LSD diff?
I plan on using this car for track and spinning(Its kinda a sport in South Africa where you do burnouts and doughnuts or whatever else you can think of that can be done with a car in a small open area like a parking lot,not sure if you guys have something similar,I don't consider it drifting). I was wondering if this car has enough power in its completely standard form to do this,or can someone advise me on mods that will give me increased power,can't afford to drop in a new engine or turbo this one. A 1JZ motor costs around R18 000 here so that's out of the question.

Also,if anyone has any tips on restoring or any info that may aid me in the process please feel free to let me know.

I just wanted to introduce myself and let you guys know about my car. Hopefully when I start working on it I will document it with pics and upload as I'm progressing(or failing)

Thanks for taking the time to read

Regards,
Chief

See less See more
#59 ·
The problem is that the supra's were never sold here in South Africa, and the dealerships are not willing source import parts for you. Lexus is a relatively new brand to us here, maybe for the last 10 years or so... but very few around. Buying from supraforums also has its challenges,specifically to import the part. Import duties are quite high here...

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.