Correct Tapered Reamer Specs for Celica Steering Arms - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    Seamus is right. There is a little bit of tolerance. As the Celica arms aren't quite as thick as the Supra ones, you can either choose to ream them so the small or large end is the same size as the Supra arm. That will vary how high they sit on the ball joint taper.
    If you choose the small end, it might be a good idea to replace the ball joint boots so that they still are tight up against the bottom of the steering arm to prevent contamination of the grease, like they were with the Supra arms. As of a couple of years ago, both the boots and tying wires were still available.
    If you choose the larger end (like I did), you should use a hardened washer under the ball joint castle nut so that the cotter pin is well within its slot. By the way, hardened washers are common in applications with aluminum suspension components to prevent galling. There are also different height castle nuts but they're not exactly easy to source.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Forget to mention the machinist I used said he would modify a pair of these arms for $65. I left the reamer I bought for this with him for now. If anyone is interested PM me and I will put you in contact with him.

I ended up skipping adding a washer on mine. The less than 2mm height difference is barely a thread different. That cotter pin is completely in the castle nut on mine. Those of you with non OEM hardware may have different experience.

Also is anyone interested in RA6x specific RCAs. I have some designed, but will probably wait to make sure I'm happy with this mod.

Being a complete novice at this, I have to ask, which arm is which in the picture? I'm assuming these are from different cars?

Either that, or I never noticed the length difference in mine when I had the front suspension torn apart to rebuild it.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Also is anyone interested in RA6x specific RCAs. I have some designed, but will probably wait to make sure I'm happy with this mod.
    You know T3 sells RCAs in this application right? The nice thing about them, is they stack! Though a friend of mine said you used to be able to custom order any size (height) of RCA you want from T3 as they are often made to order anyways. I have yet to test that theory, but would be awesome as most people with coil overs are running a drop well over 35mm (how tall the T3 RCAs are).
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Being a complete novice at this, I have to ask, which arm is which in the picture? I'm assuming these are from different cars?

Either that, or I never noticed the length difference in mine when I had the front suspension torn apart to rebuild it.

- Jim
    Arm on the right is from a ra65 Celica with power steering. It is shorter for quicker steering response, but since the Celica ball joint is smaller, needs reamed to the proper size with a special reamer to fit the MK2 ball joints.
    Last edited by williamb82; 06-20-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by williamb82 View Post
    Arm on the right is from a ra65 celica with power steering. It is shorter for quicker steering response, but since the celica balljoint is msaller, needs reamed to the proper size with a special reamer to fit the MK2 ball joints.
    Thank you, sir! I now fully understand why people search for the different steering arms. One picture really is worth a thousand words.

My 1967 and 1969 Corvettes (basically the same chassis) had two different holes in the "steering arm" portion of the spindle to accommodate a "fast" and a "slow" steering ratio. Move the tie rod end, get the toe-in set, and the steering ratio was noticeably quicker.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    You know T3 sells RCAs in this application right?....
    Do they actually fit though? Based on the description about the Supra and Celica doesn't give me a lot of confidence. They have the same thing on the gland nuts and those don't fit either.

I bought a set of RCA for the Celica, since I swapped to the Celica strut housings. Thing is, I am using the steering arms from T3 for a Supra. Not sure if that is a issue, but I had trouble getting the T3 RCA (celica) to fit those pins on the steering arms. Seems like the holes on the bottom of the RCA are too small, but do seem to be in the right location. Maybe they would fit T3 steering arms for a Celica better?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Do they actually fit though? Based on the description about the Supra and Celica doesn't give me a lot of confidence. They have the same thing on the gland nuts and those don't fit either.
    I bought a set of the gland nuts and found they weren't even close to fitting. The thread was OK, but they were shaped wrong on the backside of the big flange, and wouldn't slide down over the shock rod enough to get the threads even started into the tube.

$45 down the drain.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Gland nuts are specific to the inserts in that they need to match the profile of the top of the insert as well as the threads in the strut housings. That's why new inserts come with them.
    I'm using the Celica struts, steering arms and T3 Celica RCA's and everything fits fine. The RCA's are a tight fit on both top and bottom as they should be. I switched to the Celica parts to compensate for the increase in front track from the 5 lug swap which are rotor over hub (thanks Seamus!). But I just love the quicker steering. It took me about 100 yards to adjust to it and it continues to make me smile every time I drive it!
    T3's Celica steering arms inexplicably (to me at the time) have the same position ball joint hole as the Supra arms, it's just smaller. When I swapped in the Celica parts, I initially reamed the Celica arms to an incorrect taper and ruined them. The pics on T3's site looked like both arms were the same except for length and the size of the ball joint hole. So I called Gabe to verify if this was indeed the case and he confirmed it was. I asked why and didn't really get an answer. I now know thanks to Donn's post above that it's likely for those of us that just want quicker steering, which makes sense.
    Gabe wasn't interested in making a set with the proper Celica ball joint location for me???? So I spent nearly a f#$king year looking for another set of Celica arms. And it took me three months to finally get the proper reamer. But it was worth the wait!
    Last edited by ray85p; 06-20-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Thread Information