Correct Tapered Reamer Specs for Celica Steering Arms - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don L. View Post
    I bought a set of RCA for the Celica, since I swapped to the Celica strut housings. Thing is, I am using the steering arms from T3 for a Supra. Not sure if that is a issue, but I had trouble getting the T3 RCA (celica) to fit those pins on the steering arms. Seems like the holes on the bottom of the RCA are too small, but do seem to be in the right location. Maybe they would fit T3 steering arms for a Celica better?
    Supra and celica have different offsets for the ball joint. See the pic above. So with supra arms and celica Rca's, its not gonna fit as designed. Probably can be modded to fit though. I have 70mm RCA's from the old Jim king group buy, never even been used. Not sure if I can mod those to work on my RA65 arms and tubes or if I should just buy the 3T ones.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I've modified ma6x RCAs to fit on ra6x steering arms. You just have to clearance the inside a little for the castle nut. The t3 RA6x RCAs should be drop on with ra6x arms and casings, or even ma6x casings. As far as I know, the strut casing base is identical on the two. However for some reason, the T3 RA6x RCAs don't have that machined ring in the center on the top to plug into the strut casing like their ma6x one does. This is a blessing actually because it means the RA6x RCAs are stackable!
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

At least with the Jim King RCA (bottom one in the pic below) you should also really cut the center lip off. The area in red interferes with the strut needs to be removed at minimum. The one on the top is one that I came up that fits the Celica struts. The larger hole is shifted 4mm between the two. The photo on the T3 site must be wrong. They show the larger hole centered with two parallel cuts, which would never fit.

I'm more curious about the gland nuts. Their Supra ones don't fit and they list the Supra and Celica in the same title. So I'm confused if I order a Celica set if I'll get what I already have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The gland nuts that were on my car when I swapped out the strut inserts were made of stamped steel. The octagon part was welded to the threaded part, and was flat on the inside. The T3 gland nuts were machined one piece parts that were "domed" on the inside where they fit down over the strut insert. They kinda-sorta looked like the combustion chamber in an early Chrysler Hemi head. They wouldn't slide down over the shock rod far enough to start the threads, although they would thread into the strut tube if the shock insert was out of it.

They're sitting in my toolbox as a reminder that even brand-new parts sometimes don't fit......
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    IDK, my Celica strut tubes seem to have the exact same gland nuts as the Supra. I got a pair of gland nut spacers from another forum member awhile back, and I test fit it on one of the Celica struts and it threaded in perfect, though there are no inserts in them at the moment. Seemed to be the exact same threads as my MK2 struts. IDK if your problem is the threads, or the way it fits over the insert. Mine are for the kyb AGX which is what I intend to install in the Celica strut tubes.

Edit: I believe mine are squared off inside. Ill try to get a pic.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Thread is the same size between the two, but they don't tighten down enough. So there is about 6mm of up and down play in the shock. The counterbore on the bottom side needs to be shorter. I need to figure out a better long term solution since the washer at the bottom right now is a hack fix at best.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Both strut tubes take the same gland nuts but they aren't exactly the same height. IIRC, the difference is that the Celica tubes are about 1/4" taller, very likely exactly 6mm as Silver MK2 states above. When I transferred my Tokico Blue inserts from my Supra struts into the Celica struts, I had to add the spacers that had come with them new to the bottom of the inserts so that they were held tightly in place. These weren't necessary in the Supra struts but were included so they'd properly fit both applications. Spacers (regular washers or something similar) could also have been used on the top of the inserts or in the bottom of the tubes.
    They also came with the proper gland nuts.
    Sometimes gland nuts are machined differently inside to match a different inserts top profile than they were intended for as well.
    Ideally, inserts should be at an installed height where at rest they're at the center of their stroke. But I don't think a small amount either way makes much difference, provided they don't reach their travel limits at either extreme. This is a major cause of "blown" struts. In the case where the inserts are significantly shorter than their intended application, the difference is taken up by adding washers to the bottom of the tubes or using custom length gland nuts, such as the ones Raptor sells for using AGX inserts in uncut Supra struts. Either may be OK if the tubes aren't cut to match. But I would think that splitting the height difference between top and bottom would be better.
    Also IIRC, the Cressida tubes are about 1/4" shorter than ours. In this case, the gland nuts would have more threads showing when they're properly tightened down on the inserts, but should still engage enough threads to be safe. So depending on the application, this one insert will properly fit with or without using the spacers and/or the gland nuts may thread in a different amount.
    Incidentally, gland nuts should never tighten all the way down on the tubes, even though in many cases it looks like they do. If you look closely, there is always a small amount of clearance between the top of the tubes and the bottom of the gland nuts. This indicates that they are indeed tightened down on the inserts and not just the tubes.
    If anyone has seen gland nuts for different inserts, they tend to be unique to that specific brand to not only match the threads of the strut tube for the intended application, but also the profile of the top of those specific inserts. For struts that may fit more than one application, it's common for them to be furnished with gland nuts for both. The profile of them will of course be the same inside with different threads to match whichever application they're being used with. This is the case with KYB inserts for our cars.
    Seamus is correct that the bottom of both struts are the same. So either T3 RCA will fit properly to the bottom of either strut casing. Their different shapes is to fit the intended steering arms properly. I also agree that a little clearancing for the castle nut should be all that's necessary to use MA6x RCA's with Celica steering arms and that RA6x RCA's should fit either.
    Last edited by ray85p; 06-23-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Thread Information