Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Manvir's 84P Build/Resto

68K views 347 replies 31 participants last post by  discoelk 
#1 · (Edited)
Yo, I never really introduced myself or my car properly on this site so here goes. My name is Manvir Brar and I live in British Columbia. I found out about these cars when I was searching for a first car last summer. Honestly, I had never heard of these cars till I first saw one on craigslist looking for a mkiii. When I first clicked on one, I was like daaaamn, I want dis. The day I went to buy the car, I walked out of my house and a black P-type zipped by my house... Coincidence? I recently got my license and have been driving the car for about 3 weeks, so I figure it's time to make a thread before I drop my phone and lose all my pictures. I got the car September 15th, 2013 and have since been fixing the issues and modifying other things small. For now, I'll just start with day one of ownership. Also thanks alot to this site, as I wouldn't have got half as far as I did without the information on here.

Edit: 8/2/2017

Photobucket sucks now and most my pictures in this thread are gone,
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Um1NRy0xb0pfZ3JldGxuWDc2LWp3bFdhSkxrb1l3

Theres a link to pretty much all of them in an unorganized album.

They are somewhat in chronological order, but not reallyyy.

Maybe if I'm super bored one day I'll replace the links in here and fix it up

See less See more
#3 ·
Washing was heavy work, I needed an air gun to shoot all the branches/leaves and other shit from the crevices and then I could finally start washing it properly,

To this day, this pic is still one of my favourites of my car,

But yeah, a good wash later, and holy shit the car looks completely different.

Working dash,

#4 · (Edited)
Sadly, a clean car doesn't mean a working car. We hooked up a battery booster and tried to start it but no luck. The starter was working and shit was spinning but the car wasn't getting any fuel :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhWGAykUqc&feature=youtu.be

A fuel pump later and the car was running, albeit not great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP08Ur9c_R8&feature=youtu.be

^Btw, my dads driving, and the guy filming is a worker at our shop, not me lol. He's a pretty funny guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1rpNMqWsDU&feature=youtu.be

#5 ·
I'll skip to the rust repair part now, since it took from September to June to fricken deal with and I just want to get it out of the way,
To start, we took off the rear flares and bumper.

I don't have pics of the passenger side, but it was pretty much the same as the driver side.

Then cutting and welding and priming.

Of course, nothing ever goes perfectly fine.

I took this pic as a joke to send on snapchat saying that "look my car's on fire" because as the body guy welded, smoke would often come out of the windows. After I took it, the smoke wasn't stopping like it usually would. I told the body guy that it was smoking alot, but he was like "don't worry" as he continued to eat. Finally he looked at it, and freaked out. I got to the lift to lower the car, and he grabbed the fire extinguisher. Luckily we saved the car in the end, but it still was damaged.

Alot of the interior in that area was melted, like the seatbelt and panels,

And a bunch of other plastic pieces in there are warped and don't fit right anymore. Some plastic even fused to the seat.

In anycase, after he finished rust patching on my car, I never went back to him for painting the car.

Here's a couple of good pics before painting the rear quarters/roof.

Sent the car to a different shop for paint,

Afterwards,

Also, the windshield broke when removing to paint the roof, so that was replaced aswell.

A lot of people asked me why I chose to paint just the quarters/roof and not the whole car, here's why
1. My dad said he'd cover the cost of body and paint so I didn't want to spend alot of money on it
2. I didn't trust this body shop either as they fucked up and got clear coat overspray on my B-pillars, front bumper, rear bumper and inside the fucking car on the door inserts too. (How the fuck did they even do that?) And there's orange peel along the A-Pillars too...
3. Like I said, this process took from when I bought the car to June (Hence you can see other changes like the muffler), it was almost time that I got my license and I didn't want to wait another month to have the car. Also why I didn't bother going back to the body shop to get them to fix the overspray, they'd probably fuck it up even more.

Next up, transmission issues.

#19 ·
Okay so the whole rust/paint thing is done now. So back to september of last year, the first two weeks of owning the car were mainly spent on ordering and changing the following parts - KYB Gas Adjust Shocks, New(used) rear callipers, wiper blades, and battery. I don't have pictures of that stuff cause my dad did that while I was at school. The car also didn't like to shift so we had to remove this thing

^(not me)
clean it up and put it back in..
After that the car was driveable but the shifter was still really sloppy.

#20 ·
While that part of the transmission was out, I decided it was time to redo these valve covers/things...

So following this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DrexFHQlQ0&feature=kp
I got to work. On my side though, I had access to a solvent cleaner and a shitty sandblaster.

Getting cleaner...

Ready for paint, (It kinda looks like I used primer but I didn't, I went straight to paint)

Starting to paint,

Finished,

Back on the engine,

And an actually nice photo,

Bought the paint from Canadian tire, I think it was duplicolour engine enamel but I'm not sure. It was 5-7 coats on each cover and heating them up for every coat. I used a file and sandpaper to get the paint off the letters which probably wasn't the greatest idea.
I think a better idea that I've seen some people do on here recently is to just wipe off the letters/protrusion for every coat. It saves alot of time and work, and the letters wont look as scratched as mine, though I never used a high grit paper.
Also I didn't know about the wrinkle coat paint back then, probably would've chosen that instead if I knew.
The valve cover gaskets and gromets were also changed upon reinstall.

In anycase, the fresh valve covers made the engine bay look completely different, :)

#22 ·
Nothing really happened to the car other than rust repair until late October, when I decided to clean the wheels.
Like the valve covers,

oh god...

Using normal rim cleaners turned out to be utterly useless against the brake dust/whatever the fuck that shit was.
Wasted like an hour just scrubibing for no reason,

So we resorted to aluminum acid which worked alot better.
Acid is dangerous, so safety first,

And final product after several more hours of scrubbing,

Before/Afters,

Eventually they were polished but not really that well. They look really shiny in pictures, but not so great in person. While the acid definitely got the shit out of the wheels it also damaged the look too. Eventually I might properly restore the wheels, like fill in the black lines, fix the curb rash, and properly polish them. But not anytime soon lol.

Still like the valve covers, 100 times better than before,

#23 ·
Skipping to mid december-ish, I was poking around our shop's upstairs storage area where I found a couple of magnaflow straight through's laying around...

Later that night

And sound,

Basically just stock manifold, stock piping, stock cat, no resonator and then the muffler.
It makes me happy :)

#24 ·
Next was the steering wheel.
Took it off,

It had seen better days,

Forgot to take pics of the install process but here is the finished product,

The wheel is the grant formula GT and I used the adapter kit #3584. Got a good deal on it since it was at lordco and my dads shop does alot of business with them. Website price is $200 and at that point you might aswell get something more fancy, but I got it for $120
I was looking at grip royals too, they have a bit more of an old school look.
http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/74/ < The wheel

It feels alot better than stock since it's so much smaller and I love the colour that matches the grey/back of the interior too.

#25 ·
In January I decided to mess with the intake, of course I was like a week or two late and Rabidchimp had just shut down, so their intake pipe was a no go. No problem, bought some alluminum 3" piping, couplings, clamps and a cone and got to work.

Old pipe off, the engine looks so much better without that thing running over top.

Forgot to take pics of the install process but heres how it looks finished,

I yolo-ed the thing, don't do that. My afm has been shifted a bit to the side and alot of this was a huge pain in the ass.
Instead, just follow this guide and you'll be a happy dude.

http://www.tscperformance.com/supra_intake.html

That sound combo'ed with the muffler makes being inside the car where it sounds best.

Mine ended up costing around the same ($90), but that already has all the issues worked out for you.

Sound-

#26 · (Edited)
Hey just found your build thread. Looking good. A little present for you, your car circa 2003 when it was owned by the guy who modified your grill...

In that last photo, your car is between Agatha, a very famous mk2 from Washington. Owned by the original builder, Don C at the time, now owned by SupraDude117...
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?55792-Agatha
Actually that's Don checking out your car in the first photo.

And on the other side is the mintest mk2 I've ever seen. It had less then 50,000kms at the time (its barely cracked 50 now I believe) and is still owned by its original owner Dale Z, aka SupraZ here.

I was pretty sure this car and its owner showed up at another meet of mine, but he must have sold it right after this meet as we never saw him again. I always wondered what happened to this car, glad to see it found a good home and that's on the road again!

You should bring it to the Run of the Ogopogo meet in August. Jump on the celicatech forum to sign up, there is still room. Autox, cruises, bbq, staying at a swank chalet at Silverstar for cheap, shenanigans, always a good time.

#29 · (Edited)
Dude, no fucking way. Thats so fucking cool oh my god holy shit.

That's crazy dude thanks so much for those pictures, thats history of the car and I never would've thought it was so cool.

I'd been recently thinking of putting the foglights back in, but now that I see that, I'm going to leave it how it is. I guess one of the previous owners had taken off the taillight covers, and replaced the muffler with something factory. I also had a subwoofer and speaker system that were blown out when I got it. But that is definatley the same car, it even has the same TRD badges on the side. I don't even have words to say how cool this is.

The previous owner was a white dude in langley. He said he had it for a few years but it had been sitting under a cover for like two years before I bought it. That reminds me to get like a history check done with carfax so I can find out more about this.

I'd love to come to the Ogopogo meet but I'm still 17 and kinda busy with work and volunteering during the summer. I'll put some serious thought into it though. I do really want to go to a celicasupra meet though, or even a celica and supra meet.

Anyways, thats so cool and I can't say thanks enough, My car's been off the road for a really stupid reason this last couple of weeks and that cheers me up alot. Oooohhh I can't wait to get it back on the road now!

Edit: I'm seriously considering the ogopogo meet now, but gotta ask my parents first too.

#31 ·
Thanks alot man! The piping is from a company called Vibrant Performance as well as the couplers and cone, but I think I bought it from lordco. If you want to do it this way you can, but you will have to move the afm a bit and weld the breather pieces, which was a royal pain.

I whipped up a quick diagram but no measurements, sorry-

It'd prolly be easier to follow the guide I linked to in the previous post though.

#30 ·
I think we still have some left in the jug/bottle. I'll check out the brand and specific name of the chemical tomorrow and get back to you.
One thing is, it's probably a better idea to read other peoples more specific thread about properly restoring them, as my rims still have curb rash and some brake dust/rust and faded areas.

#32 ·
Yeah that wouldn't have been the same guy, the owner at the time wasn't white. Middle eastern maybe? I barely remember him, he only came to two meets 11 years ago. Pretty sure it was him who modified the grill. It was never done phenomenaly well and this car completely disappeared from the CS scene after that meet. A couple guys here might remember it but it's not a well known car on the board or anything. So your call on putting the fogs back in, whatever your preference is.

That meet was called Suprollapaluza. It was my first big meet and I had been hosting both Celica Supra and Dorikaze (mostly ae86 guys) meets at the time and was experimenting with mixing the two groups. Suprafest was born the year after that and we stopped combining the meets.

Run of the Ogopogo. You may want to come with your dad or something. There are no age restrictions on autocrossing (beyond having a license), and the festivities during the main day, the Saturday the 9th, are quite family friendly but the people staying at the chalet we rent will be drinking later in the evening and it turns into a bit of a party. Nothing too crazy. Maybe ask ChrisD on celicatech if you're thinking of coming on your own or with a friend you're age. I didn't realize you were that young, I'm not sure if we have an official policy on minors at the chalet. There may be an insurance or rental agreement issue there if you don't have a guardian with you.

#33 ·
[\QUOTE] Run of the Ogopogo. You may want to come with your dad or something. There are no age restrictions on autocrossing (beyond having a license), and the festivities during the main day, the Saturday the 9th, are quite family friendly but the people staying at the chalet we rent will be drinking later in the evening and it turns into a bit of a party. Nothing too crazy. Maybe ask ChrisD on celicatech if you're thinking of coming on your own or with a friend you're age. I didn't realize you were that young, I'm not sure if we have an official policy on minors at the chalet. There may be an insurance or rental agreement issue there if you don't have a guardian with you.[/QUOTE]

I'll talk to my dad and see if he wants to go, but he's going to India sometime in August so I think it's a pretty low chance. Are there any other meets in B.C. that are kinda focused on our cars this year other than this one?

#38 ·
I'll talk to my dad and see if he wants to go, but he's going to India sometime in August so I think it's a pretty low chance. Are there any other meets in B.C. that are kinda focused on our cars this year other than this one?
Not really. There are usually a few every year in WA state, not too bad a drive. We used to do several a year ourselves up here but our numbers aren't what they used to be.

There is the annual Spanish Banks Japanese Classic car show though. Its already happened this year, its usually in May I believe. Wicked show, when it doesn't rain.

#34 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention sometime in the winter, we pulled off the driver side door to replace saggy hinges and fix the mirror which was causing the window to rise out of the sealing/moulding.

Ok, so sometime in January I participated in a group buy and a couple months later the parts arrived -

And attached-

And nice pics -

I do have the rear brace aswell, I just never got around to taking pictures of it. When I get the chance again, I'll throw them up too.

Edit: Here's the rear brace -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.